Twenty percent of donated Pfizer vaccines from US must go to foreigners living in Thailand, says CCSA general

webfact

It sounds like the booster plan; 80 % of these 1.5 MM for Thai medicos previously with two shots of the useless Sinovac, is back on.

Cabinet approved budget for 20 MM additional doses of Pfizer.

And the government said on Tuesday that they have spent 6.1 billion baht on 10.9 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

This was my immediate thought too. If we need to quell the outbreaks, the Burmese are the foreigners to start with. We will need a lot more doses though.  In the end, everyone needs to get vaccinated so every jab is one less we need. 

I think this may be the intention. Doesn't make much sense for the U.S. to donate vaccine in this kind of situation with a stipulation that 20% has to go to its citizens, let alone the citizens of its allies. Most likely there were no stipulations and the Thai government is preparing its citizens to accept that in order to quell the outbreaks a significant portion should go to foreign factory workers. Or if the stipulation did come from the U.S. it was to help ensure that the donated vaccine would be as effective as possible in slowing down the spread and mutation of COVID.

• Like 1

I wonder if Thai spouses of U.S. persons would benefit from this.  My wife was told she and my step-daughter would have to pay for the vaccine at Bumrungrad when it came in.

Edited by PuaSai

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Agreed.

All Thai immigrants in the U.S. (legal and illegal) can get free vaccinations.

Many (hundreds? thousands?) Thais have traveled to the U.S on tourist visas and gotten free vaccinations.

OK, so we're donating 1.2 MM doses. If you don't want them tell us. And we will stop any future donations.

Otherwise sit down and shut up.

Bravo, I'm not one to jump up and say " make America great again " the reality we give and most likely given more already than all the countries put together like always whenever something goes bad in the world. W.H.O when Biden took office got millions of doses to distribute through CoVax then a check for 200 million then Thailand recently got 30 million to buy vaccine.  Token I don't think so I agree put up or shut up.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These were rejects or past due date and were given out as freebies and they want  to think that foreigners should share in the pain? In the Pfizer pain? Why not sharpen your pencils and follow what Singapore is doing. They are saying it's nothing but the gosh darn flu. Well, what do you know??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Regardless of the article I'm not going to get my hopes up my major dislike is how the U.S. does things " honor system " giving and asking with no accountability isn't how anything should be done especially here with their leadership.

If the U.S. Embassy gave me a call today and said we need your help to make sure the vaccine get distributed honestly I would load my truck with my Thai family vaccinated them all and then get them to help. Make a copy of your U.S. Passport sign it that is all you need done of course social distant and wear a mask don't get impatience with me if you do the vaccine Nazi will send you on your way without!

Of course this being Thai there will be a tip box even I need Gas money and lunch.????

I will help you

11 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

The story changes daily. Wait and see what happens to the free vaccine from the USA. Also, did not say when it comes. Will they give the 20% up front to foreigners or last. You may rest assured that shady things will take place. When it is over it will not be like it started.

I usually expect the shady things always happen here, no surprise to me and the wife. Corruption so widespread.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

WOW!

That's 300,000 doses, so enough for ~ 140,000 people.

One assume U.S. citizens will be at the front of the line.

China donated vaccines with the stipulation that their citizens here got vaccinated.

Natives will get restless. Seeing a protest on Wireless Road this week.

One assumes wrong.

In chronological order, I would suggest US citizen and then Burmese, Cambodian and Lao citizen. There will not be enough for them but at least it would cover the intention of the gifted vaccinations as well as the poorest in the system - me thinks ???? 

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

if "must" that means it was condition for this donation.

I would think only the USA citizens at first, when all done, the rest for the USA allies (brits).

That would be all, not enough for the rest.

Foreign teachers will get their jab in late summer, very few elderly and sick getting now and within near future, but about half of expats will be at mercy of the second part of the vax program, middle/end of autumn

You would think wrong.  If US citizens were to be at the first of the list, that would have been stipulated by the US when they gave it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Gotta say, don't have high hopes for the U.S. Embassy doing much to ensure the set-aside portion ends up being used as promised.... And even less confidence in the Thai government following thru on its promise to actually use the set-aside as required -- especially if the administration is left in their hands...

What promise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magenta408 said:

These were rejects or past due date and were given out as freebies and they want  to think that foreigners should share in the pain? In the Pfizer pain? Why not sharpen your pencils and follow what Singapore is doing. They are saying it's nothing but the gosh darn flu. Well, what do you know??

No they're not saying that at all. It's clear you don't understand what they are saying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of Thailand's National Security Council and head of the CCSA told  the Thai media yesterday that foreigners living in Thailand must receive 20% of a 1.5 million batch of Pfizer vaccine that has been donated by the United States.

Presumably this 1.5 million batch is part of Joe Biden's 500 million doses which he announced as his Great Vaccine Giveaway prior to last month's G7 summit. IMHO it is only right that local American expats should be at the front of the queue.

I look forward to reading on another thread that the chief of Thailand's National Security Council and head of the CCSA has also told the Thai media that foreigners living in Thailand must receive 20% of whatever number of doses have been donated to Thailand by the UK as part of Boris Johnson's Great Vaccine Giveaway of 100 million doses, which was announced at the same time as Biden's. Needless to say, we Brits, of course, should be at the front of the queue in this case.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

You would think wrong.  If US citizens were to be at the first of the list, that would have been stipulated by the US when they gave it.

they are all secret agreements, today there was a statement about secrecy from the deputy PM.

so far the USA did not disclose details

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

Why not sharpen your pencils and follow what Singapore is doing. They are saying it's nothing but the gosh darn flu.

They're not 'doing' anything yet.   They 'want' to treat it like the flu in the future.   2022 and beyond at the soonest.   You still can't go to Singapore unless you're Singaporean or have an Air Travel Pass and are either from Brunei, New Zealand or China.   Applications for the ATP are closed too, so that's not exactly open either.