60 Baht and 25 Setang

On 7/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Getting the correct change back would actually make the cash register to be correct , at the end of the day . 

If Tesco lotus  wont disregard 25 Setang , why should I disregard 75 Setang ?

i suppose if you didn't have the 25 then you could not have had the goods ..or would they have let you off.!!!

On 7/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I put all the coins I receive in my pockets. And at home I take them out of my pockets. And then my girlfriend puts them in jars and whenever she visits her family up country she takes those jars with her. That money is then used for the kids for school, etc.

Jar-of-Coins-Photo-583x388.jpg

That's USA change shown there.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, Saltire said:

Possible, but to be certain you'd need to know if she was following training (so Tesco are the theives) or she was showing a bit of initiative.

Either way all Tesco have to do is take satang off every price.

Remember, this is CP Group now, and if they take off Satang, it wont be down on the price.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Stang can’t be spent everywhere. This is the key to understanding here. 

1 baht or more can be spent everywhere. 

Business gets 1 baht, and gives back a relatively worthless. It has less worth because you cannot spend it everywhere. Bts stations won’t take them for example. Imagine the example moves to 99% of businesses won’t take them. It has less value.

It is actually theft, and that is assuming she gave the change, which she didn’t ha. 

1 hour ago, rwill said:

It's not the price of the item that causes it.  It is the VAT added to the bill.

I thought most everything is priced including vat?

did op buy any baht per kilo items? I find the stang will hit you because you get unlucky with the weight, or some annoying company adds the stang to the end of an item. 

In Superman III, this particular scam takes shape when Gus Gorman (Richard Pryor) receives his first paycheck for $143.80, and a colleague tells him that his paycheck probably includes a half-cent extra due to taxes and other calculations. Because Gus is an inexplicable computer genius, he writes a program for the company’s computer system to gather up all of these fractions of a cent for him, which results as a bonus check for $85,789.90 at the end of the week. Of course, the company’s accountants immediately notice the sudden loss of funds and finger Gus the next day when he nonchalantly drives his new Ferrari to work.

Check the car park at Tesco to see who turns up in an expensive car, they are the ones pocketing the satangs !

25 satang rounded to the closest Baht is 0 Baht, 75 satang rounded to the closest Baht is 1 Baht.

49 satang rounded is 0, and yes you guessed it 51 satang is 1 Baht.

Problem is if it is 0.5  round up or down?  This is why many countries kept 0.5 (Some kept quarters, 0.25) currency coins for rather some time. I remember in Sweden stores had a bowl with "Satangs" and a sign say if you need your "Satang" change pick it your self from the bowl.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:59 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Satang coins should have been abolished years ago.

5 baht and 10 baht is also satang coin and i am not going to pay 20baht for a bottle of water or for whatever normally costs less then 20 baht .

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Getting the correct change back would actually make the cash register to be correct , at the end of the day . 

If Tesco lotus  wont disregard 25 Setang , why should I disregard 75 Setang ?

1 million X 75 Satang is the beginning of Tesco's or other Big C's etc profit......

53 minutes ago, sucit said:

Stang can’t be spent everywhere. This is the key to understanding here. 

1 baht or more can be spent everywhere. 

Business gets 1 baht, and gives back a relatively worthless. It has less worth because you cannot spend it everywhere. Bts stations won’t take them for example. Imagine the example moves to 99% of businesses won’t take them. It has less value.

It is actually theft, and that is assuming she gave the change, which she didn’t ha. 

Who says?? 4 X 25 Satang =  1 Thb... i.e. 240 X 25 Satang = the price of 1 beer Chang in the bar. 

59 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Mole Hill - meet Mountain

I for sure have better things to do with my time than wait for 75 satang, and making some young girls life - working for minimum wage - harder.

Let me know next time you go shopping, I will be waiting outside with a 1 baht coin so you can feel real good about having made some money on the purchase

Give us your phone Nr. so we can spend 5 Thb on calling you to make an appointment. 5555555

On 7/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Tesco Lotus were acting like $%^&^%&^% by sticking 25 Setang onto an item and keeping the 75 Setang change

You were doing exactly the same for an even smaller amount, 25 satang!

Maybe Tesco had reduced the price by 75 satang!

• Like 1