Thanachart and TMB Banks merger

Now that Thanachart and TMB have merged, their credit cards have stopped working and their new app seems to have lost the accounts and the credit cards have stopped working. There seems to be no way of requesting a new card or reactivating a current card.

Does anybody know what is going on?

This is a major headache for me as well, being based in Laos and no means to personally visit a TMB branch in Thailand.

Their mobile app asks me to review my personal details and confirm these on the app before 31 July, or the app will cease to operate!  So I click on 'These details are correct' and the app reports an error!!  I've tried this dozens of times, but each time it reports an error, but encouragingly says that the error is on their side, and their technicians have been informed.

Unfortunately, their technicians seem to be asleep, because nothing is ever corrected .....  So I try to ring TMB customer support on their phone number for overseas customers.  Surprise, surprise - it fails to connect every time!  (Bangkok Bank's overseas support number works just fine from Laos).

I've emailed TMB support and they say to sort out these problems, I need to visit their bank in Bangkok......

So at the end of this month, they lose my custom and $3,000/month income into my account with TMB - I will switch to my Bangkok Bank account and sending payments from Payoneer direct to my bank account in Laos.

TMB - The Moronic Bank....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, simon43 said:

This is a major headache for me as well, being based in Laos and no means to personally visit a TMB branch in Thailand.

Their mobile app asks me to review my personal details and confirm these on the app before 31 July, or the app will cease to operate!  So I click on 'These details are correct' and the app reports an error!!  I've tried this dozens of times, but each time it reports an error, but encouragingly says that the error is on their side, and their technicians have been informed.

Unfortunately, their technicians seem to be asleep, because nothing is ever corrected .....  So I try to ring TMB customer support on their phone number for overseas customers.  Surprise, surprise - it fails to connect every time!  (Bangkok Bank's overseas support number works just fine from Laos).

I've emailed TMB support and they say to sort out these problems, I need to visit their bank in Bangkok......

So at the end of this month, they lose my custom and $3,000/month income into my account with TMB - I will switch to my Bangkok Bank account and sending payments from Payoneer direct to my bank account in Laos.

TMB - The Moronic Bank....

I have been using TMB online banking for over 11 years and never been a problem, as far as I can see the transition has been seamless.

I avoid using mobile apps as far as possible they are notorious for being problematic when something changes, too many variations in the operating system to cater for. Your phone may well say Android 8 or something but invariably that has been tailored by the phone manufacturer. Very difficult for software developers to get it right for everyone, the website is much more reliable.

The message regarding confirming your personal details has been on the TMB website for many months, saying visit a branch or confirm using TMB Touch. I installed TMB Touch a few months back and made the confirmation without a problem, only time I have accessed it.

12 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Thanachart is now TMB ?  May I ask if and how that affects my car loan ?

As a TMB customer there was no change, other than TMB becoming TTB, but as a Thanachart customer you should have been notified of the changes and any effect they may have.

You should address any queries to the bank if you want a sensible answer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Thanachart is now TMB ?  May I ask if and how that affects my car loan ?

They've merged to form TTB. It shouldn't affect the loan in any way. I received notification by post of what was happening and the only thing I needed to do was register for the new app. Everything was switched over very smoothly and no changes to the car loan. 

• Like 1

I had Thanachart Bank savings accounts. Went to the rehashed TMBThanachart Bank (TTB) to withdraw money at the cashier's desk but told I cannot do that without first renewing my old Thanachart Bank books to TTB books. So I had to renew the bank books, ATM card, and apply again for internet access (phone and online). New web site is sometimes glitchy with error messages, maybe because of heavy demand.

New TTB accounts have new account numbers, but I'm told that payments to the old Thanachart account (eg share dividend payments) would be automatically credited to the new account.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus

I agree. For ex-Thanachart customers as myself, one should also be aware, that the Bank account number will have changed, and the TTB app will be used for further transations.

A visit to the bank is necessary for both the app to be installed and activated, as well as the new Bank Book with new A/C number to be issued

Those who will need to transfer funds from overseas to the new account should do this as quickly as possible as otherwise, the funds will not reach your account successfully

They've merged to form TTB. It shouldn't affect the loan in any way. I received notification by post of what was happening and the only thing I needed to do was register for the new app. Everything was switched over very smoothly and no changes to the car loan. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of problems. We have both TMB and Thanachat accounts and have had no issues. Got the new TTB app for the phones and it worked seamlessly as did all savings accounts activities. Our TMB credit card never stopped working and still use it daily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 6:52 AM, Agius Mark said:

I agree. For ex-Thanachart customers as myself, one should also be aware, that the Bank account number will have changed, and the TTB app will be used for further transations.

A visit to the bank is necessary for both the app to be installed and activated, as well as the new Bank Book with new A/C number to be issued

Those who will need to transfer funds from overseas to the new account should do this as quickly as possible as otherwise, the funds will not reach your account successfully

This isn't entirely correct. Here is my experience which may help others in a similar scenario, I suspect it may also help with some other Thai Banking apps.

Thanks to Covid-19, the wife & I haven't been in Thailand for over two years.

1. Letter was sent to in-laws re: the merger & new bank account details.

2. Photos of letter iMessaged to me here in the UK.

3. Wife assisted with translation as it was all in Thai. Letter confirms merger & provides new bank account details & the steps you need to take.

4. Downloaded TTB app on to my iPhone.

5. Opened the app & followed the steps to set it up. It gives you the option of activation code or, debit/credit card.

6. It asks you to disconnect Wi-Fi & use mobile data for verification.

7. This is where you need a workaround. I use a dual SIM iPhone so, I turned off Wi-Fi & connected to mobile data via my primary UK eSIM. This doesn't work & the process will continuously fail.

8. Workaround (it costs money). I subscribed to a 15 day data roaming package (961.93 Baht inc VAT) on my DTAC secondary SIM. I then enabled data roaming on secondary & switched my mobile data to secondary.

9. I was then able to repeat the process successfully, followed the subsequent steps (needed my Thanachart ATM card as part of the verification process) & the app was soon up & running.

Obviously, once we get back to Thailand, I'll still need to visit a TTB branch to obtain a TTB bank book etc.

On a side note, the merger actually worked out well for me as previously, whilst swapping out my DTAC SIM for a Korean one, I'd managed to lock myself out of the Thanachart app (I could still access my account via internet banking), which would have required a visit to a Thanachart Branch/ATM to reset.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, ClaytonSeymour said:

This isn't entirely correct. Here is my experience which may help others in a similar scenario, I suspect it may also help with some other Thai Banking apps.

Thanks to Covid-19, the wife & I haven't been in Thailand for over two years.

1. Letter was sent to in-laws re: the merger & new bank account details.

2. Photos of letter iMessaged to me here in the UK.

3. Wife assisted with translation as it was all in Thai. Letter confirms merger & provides new bank account details & the steps you need to take.

4. Downloaded TTB app on to my iPhone.

5. Opened the app & followed the steps to set it up. It gives you the option of activation code or, debit/credit card.

6. It asks you to disconnect Wi-Fi & use mobile data for verification.

7. This is where you need a workaround. I use a dual SIM iPhone so, I turned off Wi-Fi & connected to mobile data via my primary UK eSIM. This doesn't work & the process will continuously fail.

8. Workaround (it costs money). I subscribed to a 15 day data roaming package (961.93 Baht inc VAT) on my DTAC secondary SIM. I then enabled data roaming on secondary & switched my mobile data to secondary.

9. I was then able to repeat the process successfully, followed the subsequent steps (needed my Thanachart ATM card as part of the verification process) & the app was soon up & running.

Obviously, once we get back to Thailand, I'll still need to visit a TTB branch to obtain a TTB bank book etc.

On a side note, the merger actually worked out well for me as previously, whilst swapping out my DTAC SIM for a Korean one, I'd managed to lock myself out of the Thanachart app (I could still access my account via internet banking), which would have required a visit to a Thanachart Branch/ATM to reset.

Thanks for that info. I finally managed to set up my bank apps outside of Thailand.