Getting documents certified by a bank or others in Thailand for foreign countries?

I have to fill in a form for a bank in Europe and sign that form.

The European bank wants that I sign that European document i.e. in a Thai bank to certify that I am the persons who is allowed to sign it (show my passport).

Do you know any well known place like an international bank who offers such a service in Bangkok?

I guess I could go to a lawyer or notary but maybe there are better options.

Any ideas?

No bank is going to offer this service to a complete stranger.  Your best bet is to go to your Embassy. Thai "notaries" have no legal standing outside of Thailand.  Even if your bank would accept a Thai notarization for the present time, there is no guarantee it would be accepted in court if that ever became an issue.

The UK DWP have always accepted a Thai Notary certification for Proof of Life as have my other pension providers if that's any help. No way would I ask the UK consulate (definitely not an Embassy for it's citizens) to do this. Thai banks won't do this!

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This may be a long shot, but I recently applied for residency in the EU and had to have my Thai criminal certificate ‘legalized’ in order for it to be accepted by said country’s embassy as part of the application process. This legalization was done by the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs at their Klong Toey Station branch location. I’m not sure if they would do this for a bank document or if the EU bank would even accept it, but it may be worth checking. Since Thailand is not a Hague member, getting your document apostilled would not be an option. 

• Like 1

I have my monthly pensions transferred to Bangkok Bank, Phetchabun by Wise (formerly Transferwise) to ensure the correct Foreign Transfer description is shown in the passbook and statements.

About a year ago I needed my signature witnessed on a Life Certificate which required a bank stamp and signature of the witness.

Despite the fact that I showed my bank ATM card, passbook and passport, they refused to help stating they could only stamp and sign their own forms and documents. TIT.

I ended up going to a Lawyers' office and had to pay 1,000 bht for  5 minutes work and the form to be completed. TIT.

Edited by joebrown
Added final paragraph.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, NancyL said:

The problem you have is that Thailand never signed the Hague Convention, so they don't have "notaries" as we know them in the west.  You'd better go to your Embassy.

This is untrue Thailand does have notaries a lawyer can be a notary, they signed a proof of life form for a French guy i knew with very bad english, The lawyer could speak English but couldn't read it, quick explanation, he signed it, gave us loads of copy's of his qualifications with photos of him all stamped. 1,000 bht.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

This is untrue Thailand does have notaries a lawyer can be a notary, they signed a proof of life form for a French guy i knew with very bad english, The lawyer could speak English but couldn't read it, quick explanation, he signed it, gave us loads of copy's of his qualifications with photos of him all stamped. 1,000 bht.

I think you'll find that what you got from that lawyer is sufficient for a Proof of Life form, but not for other documents where a western notary is needed, like title transfer for real estate.

13 hours ago, joebrown said:

About a year ago I needed my signature witnessed on a Life Certificate which required a bank stamp and signature of the witness.

Despite the fact that I showed my bank ATM card, passbook and passport, they refused to help stating they could only stamp and sign their own forms and documents. TIT.

I ended up going to a Lawyers' office and had to pay 1,000 bht for  5 minutes work and the form to be completed. TIT.

I am taking it that you are referring to a Life Certificate for your UK State Pension. I personally would not be blaming the Thais you approached for the hassle you experienced but instead the DWP fairly and squarely for their ridiculously over-fussy, cumbersome and bureaucratic witnessing requirements for Life Certificates which gave rise to it - and which was probably not, in your case, helped by their steadfast refusal to provide us State Pensioners living in Thailand with a Thai language version of the Life Certificate for some ridiculous reason.

DWP even had the gall to insist on us going through this nonsensical ritual last autumn despite COVID-19 and resultant postal delays between the UK and Thailand (presumably this is the occasion you were referring to)!

So definitely more a case of TIUK rather than TIT in this particular instance, I think.

Edited by OJAS

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

steadfast refusal to provide us State Pensioners living in Thailand with a Thai language version of the Life Certificate

Do you really expect that the UK officially translates all their forms into Thai and many many other languages? Really?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

I am taking it that you are referring to a Life Certificate for your UK State Pension. I personally would not be blaming the Thais you approached for the hassle you experienced but instead the DWP fairly and squarely for their ridiculously over-fussy, cumbersome and bureaucratic witnessing requirements for Life Certificates which gave rise to it - and which was probably not, in your case, helped by their steadfast refusal to provide us State Pensioners living in Thailand with a Thai language version of the Life Certificate for some ridiculous reason.

DWP even had the gall to insist on us going through this nonsensical ritual last autumn despite COVID-19 and resultant postal delays between the UK and Thailand (presumably this is the occasion you were referring to)!

So definitely more a case of TIUK rather than TIT in this particular instance, I think.

You are 'taking it' incorrectly and missing my point entirely.

The Life form in question was for the trustees of a company pension, but I accept you were not to know this. You mention the DWP (State) pension which is irrelevant regarding the point I was making, which was that the bank would not sign/stamp the Life form because it was not one of THEIR forms, not because it wasn't in Thai language.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, joebrown said:

I have my monthly pensions transferred to Bangkok Bank, Phetchabun by Wise (formerly Transferwise) to ensure the correct Foreign Transfer description is shown in the passbook and statements.

Had the same refusal from my bank here. Can only sign and stamp their own forms.

As I'm well known there they did write a letter for me, but it was the standard "confirm account and amount" as used for immigration.

The first time my dentist signed and stamped the form.

The second time, earlier this year, my vet offered to sign and stamp the form.

Checked with the DWP and they said they would accept it.

Free from both 'doctors', which makes a change!

• Like 1

This won't apply to you, but it's on topic and others may find it useful to know that Australian notaries (JPs) are scattered about the kingdom, and your local expat groups will know who and where they are, as will the Aussie Embassy. As at home, the service is free. Unlikely to be much use for European legal use, but good for Aussies to know this service exists here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

Had the same refusal from my bank here. Can only sign and stamp their own forms.

As I'm well known there they did write a letter for me, but it was the standard "confirm account and amount" as used for immigration.

The first time my dentist signed and stamped the form.

The second time, earlier this year, my vet offered to sign and stamp the form.

Checked with the DWP and they said they would accept it.

Free from both 'doctors', which makes a change!

They are Doctors not "doctors" their medical qualifications are no less than those of a clinician, and in fact Vets do a longer course than generic human doctors, so give a little more respect thanks!

On 7/9/2021 at 1:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know any well known place like an international bank who offers such a service in Bangkok?

I had a form that required a bank or notary to open an account.  A man at a bank which I won't mentioned did it.  Several months later I had to have a similar form also with a bank verification.  I was informed that the bank did not provide such a service and that the person who did it previously should not have done so.  Went to a notary. 

• Like 1