Thailand receives 1.05 million doses of AstraZeneca donated by Japan

snoop1130

Website-Thumbnail-Set-11.png

Thailand received 1.05 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine on Monday, donated by the Japanese government, amid difficulties in local production of the vaccine by the Thai firm Siam Bioscience, which is now expected to deliver about half of the scheduled amount over the coming months.

Still in home isolation, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha hosted the handover ceremony via teleconference today, with Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Japanese Ambassador to Thailand Kazuya Nashida physically present.

The ambassador said, on behalf of Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, that Japan hopes this donation will help Thailand’s vaccination campaign. 

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-receives-1-05-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-donated-by-japan/

Logo-top-.png

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

amid difficulties in local production of the vaccine by the Thai firm Siam Bioscience, which is now expected to deliver about half of the scheduled amount over the coming months.

Is that news? New news I mean?

Edited by Surelynot

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

These AZ doses were manufactured in the U.S. (not sure, maybe at that dodgy Emergent plant in Baltimore), sold/shipped to Japan. Three months in to the six-month shelf life so hopefully they are OK, and get used ASAP.

At least they'll have lots of air miles.

• Haha 1

I don't get this, japan has donated 1.05 million vaccine to Thailand, yet Japan has just had another covid out break, and read they have only vacciated 5%  of the population and that's the reason there will be no spectators at the olimpics

Edited by Soikhaonoiken
Wrong spelling
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

I don't get this, japan has donated 1.05 million vaccine to Thailand, yet Japan has just had another covid out break, and read they have only vacciated 5%  of the population and that's the reason there will be no spectators at the olimpics

The doses were probably going to expire soon and I don't think many people in Japan want AZ.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

These AZ doses were manufactured in the U.S. (not sure, maybe at that dodgy Emergent plant in Baltimore), sold/shipped to Japan. Three months in to the six-month shelf life so hopefully they are OK, and get used ASAP.

I think these doses were manufactured in Japan.   This is from the OP:

1,053,090 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, produced in Japan, were delivered on Friday, after the contract was signed on June 29th.

• Like 1

AZ, it is now claimed, only has a 0-10% effectiveness against the SA variant.......there seems to be only two serious options now.....Moderna and Pfizer.........AZ, like Sinovac and Sinopharm, is going to become a "hand me down" for the poorer nations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course they are not OK, Japan has only vaccinated a small percentage of its population and is desparate for vaccines. 

It makes no sense giving away good, safe vaccines when its own citizens are lacking. 

• Like 1

Since Thailand is the HUB of Astra production with 20 million doses output monthly, and should be a supplier for SE Asian nations.... Well it still doesn't make sense. Every time a shippment coming to Thailand there's a photo with happy ministers. Where is prayut or anutin when these millions of doses leaving the SB factory?

Probably much like in australia and other western countries, hysterical and largely unfounded media over blood clot risks is leading to a rapid surplus of AZ as now limiting to over 60s for example in Aust ....hopefully a windfall for neighbouring SE asian countries in particular