1.5 million more Thais fell into poverty in 2020, over 5 million now living under the poverty line

webfact

59 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The minimum daily wage in Thailand is 330 Baht , which is 11$ , although mnay people would work for that , they would want closer to 500 Baht for a days work . 

Buying a 50 Baht beer at the end of the day  is 10 % of their wages . 

Read the article $5.50 USD which is at

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The newly released figures shows that over 5 million people nationwide now live below the poverty line of USD $5.50 per day

exchange rates as of today

image.png.1038f6b2494c65ea42a52d4ec1dba86f.png

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did you read and understand the article ?

The 5 million figure includes people who have lost their jobs and do not work and self employed people who have had a reduced income .

We were talking about the minimum wage , which is a different subject to unemployed people who do not receive a wage .

Minimum wage and peoples income are two different things

My original statement stands: they would all be much better off saving their money as opposed to buying a beer for 90 baht at the end of the day. 

what exactly is your refute? That no employed Thais make less than 330 baht a day? Lol You can’t be that naive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Read the article $5.50 USD which is at

exchange rates as of today

image.png.1038f6b2494c65ea42a52d4ec1dba86f.png

Yes, that is their daily income, that isn't their daily wages .

Like a couple man and wife (or man and man or wife and wife , need to keep up with the times) , if one of them is out working and receiving 350 Baht per day , and the other one is at home not working, their average income would be 175 Baht each per day 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, that is their daily income, that isn't their daily wages .

Like a couple man and wife (or man and man or wife and wife , need to keep up with the times) , if one of them is out working and receiving 350 Baht per day , and the other one is at home not working, their average income would be 175 Baht each per day 

The Myanmar and other migrants working in the construction camps make a starting wage of 150 a day, depending on the job they have they can make up to a little over 300 for the day.  The majority send their money home.  The Thais may make 300+ baht a day, but then they spend it as fast as they make it. Poverty can be seen everywhere around the more affluential areas if you take off the rose colored glasses.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

My original statement stands: they would all be much better off saving their money as opposed to buying a beer for 90 baht at the end of the day. 

what exactly is your refute? That no employed Thais make less than 330 baht a day? Lol You can’t be that naive. 

The labour laws are quite stringent in Thailand and you cannot legally employ someone and pay less than the minimum wage .

Yes, some people do work under the table cash in hand , but even in villages , they would expect and require more than 350 Baht per day for a days work . 

Most of the low earners tend to drink 10 Baht moonshine or sometimes bottles of beers from mom & pop shops . 

The instances of them going to bars and paying bar prices are extremely infrequent 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Myanmar and other migrants working in the construction camps make a starting wage of 150 a day, depending on the job they have they can make up to a little over 300 for the day.  The majority send their money home.  The Thais may make 300+ baht a day, but then they spend it as fast as they make it. Poverty can be seen everywhere around the more affluential areas if you take off the rose colored glasses.

The subject is Thais , we aren't talking about foreign workers who may not have work visas and are working illegally 

6 hours ago, Tarteso said:

No jobs for the Spacecraft proyect to the moon ? ????

Poor people paying the consequences of these brilliant pearls of politics.

Brilliant pearls? I was thinking more along the lines of butt nuggets...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The subject is Thais , we aren't talking about foreign workers who may not have work visas and are working illegally 

The article does say:

"1.5 million more Thais fell into poverty in 2020, over 5 million now living under the poverty line"

So the second part would include the caveat for all. Take it how you will, and the same as I will.  So lets agree to disagree.  More than just Thais live here in poverty, but then you knew that, you just wanted to sit up tall on that high horse and take the high road.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The labour laws are quite stringent in Thailand and you cannot legally employ someone and pay less than the minimum wage .

Yes, some people do work under the table cash in hand , but even in villages , they would expect and require more than 350 Baht per day for a days work . 

Most of the low earners tend to drink 10 Baht moonshine or sometimes bottles of beers from mom & pop shops . 

The instances of them going to bars and paying bar prices are extremely infrequent 

And so, what exactly in my original statement do you have a problem with? I basically said Thais would be much better off not spending 70, 60, 50, 40, 30 % of their daily wages (or whatever the hell % you want to put on it) on their alcohol consumption for the day. Instead, they should save it. And, this would make for less welfare. 

I swear only on thaivisa can a perfectly common sense sentiment become controversial. 

Edited by utalkin2me

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The article does say:

"1.5 million more Thais fell into poverty in 2020, over 5 million now living under the poverty line"

So the second part would include the caveat for all. Take it how you will, and the same as I will.  So lets agree to disagree.  More than just Thais live here in poverty, but then you knew that, you just wanted to sit up tall on that high horse and take the high road.

We were talking about Thais and their minimum wage .

To prove your point about Thais earning less then minimum wage , you bought illegal Burmese workers into the equation!!!!!!  

All the stories have been told
Of kings and days of old,
But there's no England now.
All the wars that were won and lost,
Somehow don't seem to matter very much anymore.
All the lies we were told,
All the lies of the people running round,
They're castles have burned.
I see change,
But inside we're the same as we ever were.

Living on a thin line,
Tell me now, what are we supposed to do?
Living on a thin line,
Tell me now, what are we supposed to do?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

And so, what exactly in my original statement do you have a problem with? I basically said Thais would be much better off not spending 70, 60, 50, 40, 30 % of their daily wages (or whatever the hell % you want to put on it) on their alcohol consumption for the day. Instead, they should save it. And, this would make for less welfare. 

I swear only on thaivisa can a perfectly common sense sentiment become controversial. 

No, I agree that low income workers shouldn't go into bars and buy 90 Baht beers , my point is that they don't usually do that , they usually buy moonshine for 10 Baht .

If they are earning money, they wouldnt be receiving any welfare and they can spend their wages on what they want to, IMO

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, I agree that low income workers shouldn't go into bars and buy 90 Baht beers , my point is that they don't usually do that , they usually buy moonshine for 10 Baht .

If they are earning money, they wouldnt be receiving any welfare and they can spend their wages on what they want to, IMO

Yes Thai whiskey <deleted> is a big thing, but many of them go into 7-11 and buy large bottles of Leo for 90 baht. Not into bars. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

We were talking about Thais and their minimum wage .

To prove your point about Thais earning less then minimum wage , you bought illegal Burmese workers into the equation!!!!!!  

Minimum wage really is not very important. Walk down the street in downtown Bangkok, and you will pass 20% motorbikes, 30% taxis drivers, 20% street vendors, and you’re gonna pass maybe 30% people working in banks and restaurants. Meaning… these people have no association with minimum wage. It’s not as important a stat as it is in other countries. 

Have you talked to any taxi drivers? They are making diddly squat right now (and the little they do make they spend frivolously, which was my initial point). 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The newly released figures shows that over 5 million people nationwide now live below the poverty line of USD $5.50 per day.

Below $5.50 per day is just terrible. That money is supposed to cover rent & bill & food right? How is this going to work out? Even hamburger sets cost more than that man!!!!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

You are correct.  The actual amount spent by tourists may only have been a fraction of GDP but that money is like water priming a pump.  The hotels, restaurants, servers, attractions, boat operators anyone who makes a portion of their money from tourists spends it.  They spend it on food, clothing, utilities, cars, gas, hardware, etc.  Without those tourist dollars the GDP for spending throughout most areas of the economy will likewise decrease.  It is called the multiplier effect.  While car dealers here in Thailand are not tourist related, car sales will go down.  The employees not working in the tourist trade will not have the money to buy a car, taxi drivers will not need to replace their car etc. 

Like the farmers , say Thailand has 40 million tourists per year and they all eat one mango each .

With no tourists , that's a surplus of 40 million mangos .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did you read and understand the article ?

The 5 million figure includes people who have lost their jobs and do not work and self employed people who have had a reduced income .

We were talking about the minimum wage , which is a different subject to unemployed people who do not receive a wage .

Minimum wage and peoples income are two different things

Mac Mickmanus     1

utalkin2me             0

half time

• Like 1

It's sad but IMO this is still one of the 'best' places to be relatively poor.  Really difficult to starve (not that that should be any kind of goal or ribbon worthy feat) to death here as long as you aren't an alcoholic, drug addict, etc.   

• Like 1