1.5 million more Thais fell into poverty in 2020, over 5 million now living under the poverty line

webfact

come ON guys....once again a worthy significant subject highjacked by trivial posts about beer buying and sundry bickering. expats know well the 300/ 500 baht min. day rate system here so no point debating that. major wealth distribution problem / solution raised....but not commented..... I despair here...

lets then perhaps have a most worthless comment competition OP......

The argument about exact beer prices is irrelevant in this case. If a ฿40 spread in beer prices is making up a material percentage of take home pay, you shouldn't be drinking beer at all. Pretty much every waking moment should be spent on skill acquisition or figuring out how to efficiently increase earnings. Nothing else matters at that level.

46 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

come ON guys....once again a worthy significant subject highjacked by trivial posts about beer buying and sundry bickering. expats know well the 300/ 500 baht min. day rate system here so no point debating that. major wealth distribution problem / solution raised....but not commented..... I despair here...

lets then perhaps have a most worthless comment competition OP......

My MiL lives on 500bht a month government pension, most Thais dream of earning 300bht/day.

thais dreaming of earning 9000 baht a month ?

maybe if lazy or Isaan farm laborer ....

yet yes 2k is official poverty level ( 1k rent / 400 utilities / 600 food ? jhc....

govt pension of 25% official poverty level ?

confusing but still very hard to believe.......

basic street/ market vendors (one small stall) earn around 2x 9k at least ?

govt full time salaries would not be below 9k monthly surely

which is a burma worker low earnings........

6 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

The crazy thing is you watch these guys that earn $5 a day, and at the end of the day they go buy a beer for 90 baht

Reminded me of the homeless woman in jomtien asking me for money, while carrying several big beers she bought 1 minute ago.

It’s just plain sad. No point in trying to argue it out. Many many more are barely scraping by. Instead of just fighting about whose right and whose wrong go try to help. Wouldn’t take much and you know better than anyone else that the government doesn’t give a rats ass. Try to make somebody’s day once in awhile. 

We were on Sukhumvit n Pattaya yesterday and i noticed two large concrete pipes ,both had tarpaulin draped over them and someone was living in each of them ,terrible. My wives mate gets her maid to make lots of food and then she leaves it at the front of her office,always people waiting,one day there was even a falang. 

We dont realize how lucky we are if we have an income, i moan about how the pound has dropped ,but its nothing compared to some of these poor people.

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The labour laws are quite stringent in Thailand and you cannot legally employ someone and pay less than the minimum wage .

Yes, some people do work under the table cash in hand , but even in villages , they would expect and require more than 350 Baht per day for a days work . 

While that might be true, a big problem in the villages is underemployment. They might get 350+ baht per day when they work, but there isn't necessarily work for them available on a regular basis (every day). A lot of the work available in the countryside is seasonal.