Pattaya: Dead as a Dodo

roger101

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware they are redoing the promenade.

IMO the big trees were the best part of the old promenade. They provided shade for people to sit on the benches and it was always a pleasant place to while away some time. I used to get a sandwich from 7 11 and have my lunch while people watching.

Unfortunately the trees were massacred.

I agree the Trees were wonderful....I feel thankful to have spent many happy days on the old promenade...

Here are some drawings of the new promenade.....It looks like ALL  as in every last shade tree will be chopped.......What little vib that remains will be finished....

1563177001_6aug003(Custom).JPG.dfb2c2f5e72719e2d8413e2bceae2dcf.JPG

586120886_6aug004(Custom).JPG.e204d55c5b72a1c97f636e1a6b214648.JPG

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

There was a news piece a while ago just before the covidiocy struck about Thai visitors   not being too impressed with Pattaya beach/promenade one of the things quoted was lack of seating and shade trees.  those interviewed also said Bangsean and Barng Saray where better.

Yea......Like they have not read countless comments over the years of people very very unhappy with no sitting or shade trees....They know very well what people want, but they want a sterilized, lifeless beach......And that's exactly what the new beach makeover will be.......Even more sterilized and lifeless than now.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, johng said:

Don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet apologies if it has been.

Seems this very rich group is having a bet on Pattaya to the tune of

8.1 billion baht !!

This group bought the Sigma Resort at the far south end of Jomtien beach.

"In February, she also acquired the 287-room Sigma Jomtien Pattaya Hotel for 550 million baht."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rgluckman/2021/07/08/thai-real-estate-giant-bets-big-on-tourism-rebound-with-32-billion-growth-plan/?sh=30d9cfdc3ecd

"Transforming Pattaya—a former recreational playground for U.S. servicemen during the Vietnam War with a sleazy reputation as a sex tourism destination—seems like a high-stakes gamble. But Wallappa doesn’t think so, saying she believes that a new international airport proposed to be built by 2023 and planned rail links connecting Pattaya to Bangkok’s two airports, plus a monorail that will run right by the AWC Center, could turn it into a global getaway like Phuket.

“Pattaya has a lot of image problems,” says Jeremy O’Sullivan, head of research at real estate consultancy Savills in Thailand. “But they are one of the only companies that could pull something like this off.” Nikhom from Horwath HTL agrees, noting that while AWC has the money and could pull in the right partners to revamp Pattaya, success will largely depend on how quickly public infrastructure develops. Thailand, after all, is known for delays."

Just wondering if she has the clout to close Walking Street, Soi 6, Soi Buakao, and all then other sleaze bar areas.........until then, Pattaya will never be the "Singapore" they want it to be...........I will have reincarnated in the next life before that happens.  Gambling will be voted in, the place will turn into a playground for the rich, and a hunting ground for the bad guys w/the BIB's hands out.  TIT.         Peace

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, johng said:

There was a news piece a while ago just before the covidiocy struck about Thai visitors   not being too impressed with Pattaya beach/promenade one of the things quoted was lack of seating and shade trees.  those interviewed also said Bangsean and Barng Saray where better.

Indeed. I don't know how true it was, but it was said they removed the seating so the hookers had nowhere to sit.

However, they just dug up the pavers to make seats, which IMO is why the pavers disappeared from around the trees.

The promenade wasn't very good for people watching, but it was great for m'bikes to drive fast on.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, johng said:

Wallappa doesn’t think so, saying she believes that a new international airport proposed to be built by 2023 and planned rail links connecting Pattaya to Bangkok’s two airports, plus a monorail that will run right by the AWC Center, could turn it into a global getaway like Phuket.

If it becomes like Phuket, that'll really be the end of Pattaya as a place to go for ordinary farangs IMO. Phuket became such a <deleted> that I stopped going there altogether.

However I doubt the greedies care as long as they mint it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Wrong.  Pattaya was doing very well, pre-covid.  If you were actually here in 2019 and here today, you could easily compare then with what we have now.   And, the visitors were not all package tourists from China.  But they, and all the other visitors, certainly did 'spread the wealth'.  2019 did not have hundreds of people lining up for food handouts on Pattaya Beach.  If nothing else, the pandemic has put paid to the totally ridiculous notion that so-called 'zero dollar tourists' contribute nothing to the local economy.  

Pattaya was, and is, still popular with farangs.  They are just a lot more spread out as Pattaya has grown so tremendously.   Someone will be along to say his favorite bar in Pattaya, even pre-covid, wasn't as busy as it used to be.  But, is that because of fewer farangs visiting or, perhaps because there are just a lot more bars all over the place--such as the big bar complex that opened some years ago next to Kiss in Jomtien.   And, with the advent of Airbnb, visitors are also staying, in condos and villas, all over the place, as well.

It was doing well only if counting heads, IMO. I used to love Pattaya, but it became so congested that it was a trial more than a pleasure to stay there. The conversion of cheap hotels to expensive "boutique" hotels didn't help.

Certainly the farang bars were often doing poorly, given the lack of patrons in most. The usual few popular ones were full, as always, but others might have only a few or none.

It doesn't matter if the number of mongers was the same as 10 years ago if the number of bars doubled. All that meant was a lot of bars did badly as against fewer bars all doing well. Unfortunately, Pattaya has always had too many bars, and deserted complexes were in evidence eg the big bar complex behind the Made in Thailand market, which was a home for rats for years.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I agree the Trees were wonderful....I feel thankful to have spent many happy days on the old promenade...

Here are some drawings of the new promenade.....It looks like ALL  as in every last shade tree will be chopped.......What little vib that remains will be finished....

1563177001_6aug003(Custom).JPG.dfb2c2f5e72719e2d8413e2bceae2dcf.JPG

586120886_6aug004(Custom).JPG.e204d55c5b72a1c97f636e1a6b214648.JPG

Looks horrible--and not a lick of shade even in the fake artist rendering.  My theory on why they only use palm trees is because they are high-maintenance vs. regular trees.  Likely a lucrative, expensive contract to maintain them.  Quite often a crew seems to be out chopping at all the dead palm branches.  The shade trees just need trimming once in a blue moon--where's the money in that?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One might suspect that is the plan. IMO they WANT the vibe gone, along with all those non trendy farangs. IMO only the uber rich will be welcome in the new Riviera on Pattaya Bay.

Of course "they" want the Westies gone . Do you think this sh*t show did not have a plan to remove them. Photo where balloon girl. What makes you think the rich will come. Even the middle class Europeans stopped coming in the July August months after two consecutive major beach construction projects. They had it.

Screenshot_2021-08-12-13-50-26-02.jpg

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was doing well only if counting heads, IMO. I used to love Pattaya, but it became so congested that it was a trial more than a pleasure to stay there. The conversion of cheap hotels to expensive "boutique" hotels didn't help.

Certainly the farang bars were often doing poorly, given the lack of patrons in most. The usual few popular ones were full, as always, but others might have only a few or none.

It doesn't matter if the number of mongers was the same as 10 years ago if the number of bars doubled. All that meant was a lot of bars did badly as against fewer bars all doing well. Unfortunately, Pattaya has always had too many bars, and deserted complexes were in evidence eg the big bar complex behind the Made in Thailand market, which was a home for rats for years.

One very good point there, Pattaya in my view has always had too many bars. I have to wonder at these people who take over a moribund business and assume it will suddenly become viable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WE don't want the "new demographic". Do you?

Bit late for that unfortunately. No I don't but it is here and the old ways are unlikely to return. 

And this "we" bit, I thought you'd gone a while ago. How much time do you spend here now.?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Of course "they" want the Westies gone . Do you think this sh*t show did not have a plan to remove them. Photo where balloon girl

Screenshot_2021-08-12-13-50-26-02.jpg

You give mastermind status to people who can't fix the drains.? 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Just wondering if she has the clout to close Walking Street, Soi 6, Soi Buakao, and all then other sleaze bar areas.........until then, Pattaya will never be the "Singapore" they want it to be...........I will have reincarnated in the next life before that happens.  Gambling will be voted in, the place will turn into a playground for the rich, and a hunting ground for the bad guys w/the BIB's hands out.  TIT.         Peace

Of your list, I think only Soi 6 might be endangered at some point.  It is inconveniently close to a lot of both empty land and large tracts that are slated for redevelopment.  The north Pattaya Beach area has really undergone a transformation in the past few years and that is likely to continue south towards Central Festival.  Discovery Beach Hotel is about to finish a new, large highrise third wing; a sign of that expansion, improvement, and development.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Of your list, I think only Soi 6 might be endangered at some point.  It is inconveniently close to a lot of both empty land and large tracts that are slated for redevelopment.  The north Pattaya Beach area has really undergone a transformation in the past few years and that is likely to continue south towards Central Festival.  Discovery Beach Hotel is about to finish a new, large highrise third wing; a sign of that expansion, improvement, and development.   

Not a big deal if Soi 6 ends, successful bars from Soi 6 could relocate on mass to another soi or sois such as 13\1 and 13\2, those are proper dead

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not a big deal if Soi 6 ends, successful bars from Soi 6 could relocate on mass to another soi or sois such as 13\1 and 13\2, those are proper dead

Soi Yamato and Soi Post Office are not as dead as 7 and 8 or Pattayaland. Please keep Soi 6 bars away from here. 

I forgot to include City Walk. 

Edited by rott

41 minutes ago, rott said:

Soi Yamato and Soi Post Office are not as dead as 7 and 8 or Pattayaland. Please keep Soi 6 bars away from here. 

I forgot to include City Walk. 

yeah 7 and 8 really dead as well, 13\1 and 13\2 has the advantage of being close to walking St, problem is currently rubbish bars, restaurants and massage shops

11 hours ago, newnative said:

Looks horrible--and not a lick of shade even in the fake artist rendering.  My theory on why they only use palm trees is because they are high-maintenance vs. regular trees.  Likely a lucrative, expensive contract to maintain them.  Quite often a crew seems to be out chopping at all the dead palm branches.  The shade trees just need trimming once in a blue moon--where's the money in that?  

What do you mean lack of shade ? There's a double row of trees

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, rott said:

You give mastermind status to people who can't fix the drains.? 

And lucky if they can tie their shoes every morning. But they sure can guarantee that any new project along the beach will end up for the worst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1