Thai government does not discriminate against foreigners, says minister

webfact

On 7/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, Neeranam said:

This is due to your nationality, not your skin colour. 

Total Rubbish. 

My Grand daughter is half French/Thai and very white. 
I take her and her best friend , half American/ Thai to a waterpark. 

We are herded into a line , and these11 year old kids keep looking up worriedly  at the signs above the ticket windows and  then shyly suggest we change lines . 

We change , and a matriach comes out and asks why we changed lines.

They answer in Thai , looking worried , "We are Thai and we shouldnt have to stay in this line and  pay 1500 baht when it should cost  900 for us. It says that on the sign."

The lady lowers her voice and gives me a sidelong glance..."Is that your Pappa , and you are falang pretending to be Thai huh ?  NOT tell lies  now !"

The girls have worried expressions and my  girl  falls silent , but her half American friend  gets assertive and says , "We have our cards , you want to look at them because we have beautiful WHITE skin?  You are black , why you talk too much to us  ? "

The lady looks a bit worried , her whole demeanour shrinks ...she  bows slightly to me , then leaves. 

The girls look triumphant and mine gives a quiet low 5 to Miss America , and together they  move forward , get their passes  , and save me 1200 baht .

Being well educated and 'supap'  young Thai  ladies they dont want to talk about what happened  , dismiss it , but  my grand daughter says later  , "She look at us , see the white skin and she say , "Oh falang , you muss pay extra !"

Judged by their skin colour , then one uses skin colour against the  self appointed 'colour' Judge.

Classic. 

But there's  no racism in Thailand  , Mr Neeranam .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Total Rubbish. 

We are herded into a line , and these11 year old kids keep looking up worriedly  at the signs above the ticket windows and  then shyly suggest we change lines . 

They answer in Thai , looking worried , "We are Thai and we shouldnt have to stay in this line and  pay 1500 baht when it should cost  900 for us. It says that on the sign."

The lady lowers her voice and gives me a sidelong glance..."Is that your Pappa , and you are falang pretending to be Thai huh ?  NOT tell lies  now !"

The girls have worried expressions and my  girl  falls silent , but her half American friend  gets assertive and says , "We have our cards , you want to look at them because we have beautiful WHITE skin?  You are black , why you talk too much to us  ? "

The lady looks a bit worried , her whole demeanour shrinks ...she  bows slightly to me , then leaves. 

The girls look triumphant and mine gives a quiet low 5 to Miss America , and together they  move forward , get their passes  , and save me 1200 baht .

Being well educated and 'supap'  young Thai  ladies they dont want to talk about what happened  , dismiss it , but  my grand daughter says later  , "She look at us , see the white skin and she say , "Oh falang , you muss pay extra !"

Judged by their skin colour , then one uses skin colour against the  self appointed 'colour' Judge.

Classic. 

Every part of the story sounds true - apart from your interpretation of skin vcolor. Basically she can see they re half Thai and white skin in Thailand is a much sort after attribute, but the "lady" knew full well you were ythe dad and thought she's charge farang rate. I've had the opposite where a friends wife with UK passport was not admitted to a club because they thought she was a bar girl - i.e. dark, Issan skin.

thai interpretation of skin colour is not part of a a racist conspiracy. However she would have made some more money.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe there are other asian countries like this but I notice on Thai TV here are a  disproportionately large number of half thai/half farang actors playing leading roles. I don't know how that can be squared with prejudice against farangs. On the other hand, very few leading roles for dark-skinned thais.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Total Rubbish. 

Classic. 

Sounds like a bunch of bloody racists.

13 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Every part of the story sounds true - apart from your interpretation of skin vcolor. Basically she can see they re half Thai and white skin in Thailand is a much sort after attribute, but the "lady" knew full well you were ythe dad and thought she's charge farang rate. I've had the opposite where a friends wife with UK passport was not admitted to a club because they thought she was a bar girl - i.e. dark, Issan skin.

thai interpretation of skin colour is not part of a a racist conspiracy. However she would have made some more money.

Good Lord.

Are you sober ?

Im Australian and not even blood related to either kid. 

Concentrate , ONE is half French , ONE is half American.

They are told they will pay extra because they LOOK non Thai , and theres some extremely well ( English )   spoken  'dreamers'   claiming Thai heritage  here ( or they are  plants )  saying that Thais are  not racist  ( so as to elicit more responses ?) 

I took them because they are nice kids 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Total Rubbish. 

Classic. 

Firstly, I was replying to a post saying that International hospitals have a racist policy, and I stand by that statement, and find it hard to understand why you say "total rubbish". I bet you can't tell me ANY hospital that will make me pay more because of my skin colour. 

Secondly, I don't believe a word that you wrote, although interesting story, but. 11-year-old well-educated, "supap" Thai girls do NOT call an older person black and talk about their "beautiful white skin". Also, no one talks about their kids being half American/half Thai. My children are 100% Thai 100% British dual citizens, as I am, you are mixing up their nationality and race. Your granddaughters got in for the Thai price, the ticket guy thought they were foreign, what's the big deal?

There is racism in Thailand, I never said there wasn't. There is racism wherever you come from too. 

I was recently at a bank and a customer suggested to the cashier that my ID card was a fake as farang can't become Thai; I know all about racism in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Good Lord.

Are you sober ?

Im Australian and not even blood related to either kid. 

Concentrate , ONE is half French , ONE is half American.

They are told they will pay extra because they LOOK non Thai , and theres some extremely well ( English )   spoken  'dreamers'   claiming Thai heritage  here ( or they are  plants )  saying that Thais are  not racist  ( so as to elicit more responses ?) 

I took them because they are nice kids 

if anyone drinks, its you

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, Neeranam said:

It is the same with wearing masks as Anutin pointed out. 

And how many times do we see in Thai media photos of him (Anutin) not wearing a mask?

In America you are free live "your" cultural values or "our" cultural values, you are given personal freedom and freedom of choice. That's why Americans expect to be treated with the same dignity and respect. If Thais cannot treat people with the same dignity and respect that they are shown living in other countries, then they should be "kicked out" (as you put it) from those respective countries.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

And how many times do we see in Thai media photos of him (Anutin) not wearing a mask?

In America you are free live "your" cultural values or "our" cultural values, you are given personal freedom and freedom of choice. That's why Americans expect to be treated with the same dignity and respect. If Thais cannot treat people with the same dignity and respect that they are shown living in other countries, then they should be "kicked out" (as you put it) from those respective countries.

Please do not enforce your country's cultural values and personal values on another country, especially the one where you are a guest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Please do not enforce your country's cultural values and personal values on another country, especially the one where you are a guest. 

WOW what a highly unintelligent and racist remake. Thank you for proving my point!!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

WOW what a highly unintelligent and racist remake. Thank you for proving my point!!!

I find this nonsense rude and insulting, and I have no idea what you are going on about. 

How you can find anything racist in my remark really take the cookie. 

You'll be telling us next that the Thai Constitution is relevant to foreigners :cheesy:  ????

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I find this nonsense rude and insulting, and I have no idea what you are going on about. 

How you can find anything racist in my remark really take the cookie. 

You'll be telling us next that the Thai Constitution is relevant to foreigners :cheesy:  ????

How stereotypical of you to find things you don't understand to be "rude and insulting".

So you think the "law of the land" (the Thai Constitution) isn't relevant to foreigners? WOW... 555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So your saying that in Thailand, Thai people don't have to treat foreigners with dignity and respect? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

How stereotypical of you to find things you don't understand to be "rude and insulting".

So you think the "law of the land" (the Thai Constitution) isn't relevant to foreigners? WOW... 555

Calling my remark "unintelligent and racist" is extremely rude and offensive(and against forum rules) and you are lucky I don't report you, totally unacceptable behavior. 

The Thai Constitution is only for Thai subjects, trust me, I taught Civics in a Thai high school for 5 years. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The Thai Constitution is only for Thai subjects, trust me, I taught Civics in a Thai high school for 5 years.

Trust you? Not hardly... Can you provide a link to the actual verbiage that states this "so called fact" of yours? 

• Sad 1

Its like anyone else saying "We don't discriminate against N*s!" the word itself is discriminatory, because it is used that way. I don't give a rats about "accommodating its wider meaning", that's a lame cop-out.

In other countries, we extend people the official courtesy of being called, visitors, expats, immigrants, or whatever. Not "foreigners".

Of course, there's the word "aliens" in official paperwork, but its not used as a term of abuse, and it's even somehow less alienating than "farang".

I cringe at this word, especially when my missus uses it to discuss me with her young extended family, why can't I just be "Luang" (uncle?) like in every other Asian place I've ever lived.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Trust you? Not hardly... Can you provide a link to the actual verbiage that states this "so called fact" of yours? 

Why not?

I suggest you actually read the Thai Constitution and you'll see in black and white that it only pertains to Thai citizens. 

Writing untruths like the following is highly irresponsible and misleading to some. 

According to the current Thai constitution and the agreements Thailand signed with the WTO (referenced below), Thai citizens and foreign nationals are to be treated equally, period. Not holding up to ones commitments and agreements gives the appearance that the Thai constitution isn't worth the paper it's written on and that signed agreements or treaties with any organization or country mean absolutely nothing.

You never actually referenced anything about Thailand and the WTO. Feel free to leave links here.

5 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Its like anyone else saying "We don't discriminate against N*s!" the word itself is discriminatory, because it is used that way. I don't give a rats about "accommodating its wider meaning", that's a lame cop-out.

In other countries, we extend people the official courtesy of being called, visitors, expats, immigrants, or whatever. Not "foreigners".

Of course, there's the word "aliens" in official paperwork, but its not used as a term of abuse, and it's even somehow less alienating than "farang".

I cringe at this word, especially when my missus uses it to discuss me with her young extended family, why can't I just be "Luang" (uncle?) like in every other Asian place I've ever lived.

When I am referred to as "farang" in public, my immediate response is "gook said what". I don't use that term on here for the sole reason I don't get to see the look on their face. I honestly don't rats backside either about people no matter who they are that refuse to treat others with dignity and respect.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why not?

I suggest you actually read the Thai Constitution and you'll see in black and white that it only pertains to Thai citizens. 

Section 27.

All persons are equal before the law, and shall have rights and liberties and be protected equally under the law. Men and women shall enjoy equal rights. Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution, or on any other grounds shall not be permitted.

https://www.constitutionalcourt.or.th/occ_en/download/article_20170410173022.pdf

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Section 27.

All persons are equal before the law, and shall have rights and liberties and be protected equally under the law. Men and women shall enjoy equal rights. Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution, or on any other grounds shall not be permitted.

https://www.constitutionalcourt.or.th/occ_en/download/article_20170410173022.pdf

I've told you all this before. Read the Thai version and you'll see that "persons" refers to "Thai subjects".

Take a look at other sections(in English) and you'll see it says things like a "person"  has the right to own land -  obviously not talking about foreigners. 

Section 4. Human dignity, rights, liberties and equality of the people shall be protected. The Thai people shall enjoy equal protection under this Constitution

Just now, Neeranam said:

I've told you all this before. Read the Thai version and you'll see that "persons" refers to "Thai subjects".

Take a look at other sections(in English) and you'll see it says things like a "person"  has the right to own land -  obviously not talking about foreigners. 

Section 4. Human dignity, rights, liberties and equality of the people shall be protected. The Thai people shall enjoy equal protection under this Constitution

You've not told me anything before, this is the first I've spoken on the subject, this translation is from the Constitutional Court of Thailand itself so I'd rather believe them than you.

"Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution, or on any other grounds shall not be permitted."

You cannot edit the above to suit your own narrative sorry

20 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How stereotypical expecting others to do the work for you.  I suggest you go educate yourself...

Thailand, is a member of the World Trade Organization. National treatment is an integral part of many [World Trade Organization](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization) agreements. It requires equal treatment of [foreigners](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)) and locals.  Under national treatment, a [state](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state) that grants particular rights, benefits or privileges to its own [citizens](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen) must also grant those advantages to the citizens of other states while they are in that country. Together with the [most favored nation](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_favoured_nation) principle, national treatment is one of the cornerstones of WTO trade  law.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_treatment

The words "origin" and "race" are pretty clear, no further reading is required. 

Thai Constitution.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

How stereotypical expecting others to do the work for you.  I suggest you go educate yourself...

More rude comments, sigh. 

You have been quoting untruths about the Thai Constitution. I am telling you to read it first, which you obv haven't. 

5 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Thailand, is a member of the World Trade Organization. National treatment is an integral part of many [World Trade Organization](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization) agreements. It requires equal treatment of [foreigners](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)) and locals.  Under national treatment, a [state](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state) that grants particular rights, benefits or privileges to its own [citizens](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen) must also grant those advantages to the citizens of other states while they are in that country. Together with the [most favored nation](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_favoured_nation) principle, national treatment is one of the cornerstones of WTO trade  law.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_treatment

I know what the WTO is .

What is this Alien Law? It certainly doesn't exist in Thailand, and there is no Wikipedia page, try again.

All you have done is provide links to words that you didn't know the meaning of.  

You are mixing up laws on international trade with each individual country's laws.