Thailand reports 14,260 new COVID-19 cases, 119 more deaths

webfact

7 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

"Vaccines provide at least some protection from infection and transmission, but not as much as the protection they provide against serious illness and death."

Vaccine efficacy, effectiveness and protection (who.int)

Stats from the UK and Israel suggests that the "at least some" part of that sentence should be "not very much".   

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and generally so for Thailand.... but the rest of the world numbers are usually between 1-2% and Peru a whopping 9%. One has to ponder 'why'? I am rather anti numbers that try to minimize the seriousness of this... it is serious. 

There have been rigorous studies of this, using antibody testing. We know the why, official testing infection numbers aren't reliable, demonstrated by these studies. None show mortality rates in excess of 1% to my knowledge, and welcome to be corrected here. The CDC numbers are somewhere in the 0.3%-0.6% range for mortality, and remember that's for a high risk demographic due to obesity.

Mortality rates differ based on medical care, but even with zero medical care, it's not clear mortality rate would exceed 1% in typical age distributions.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, James105 said:

Stats from the UK and Israel suggests that the "at least some" part of that sentence should be "not very much".   

If you have the "Stats" please share.

You have my interest.

Saturday's updates on COVID deaths:

66 males, 53 females

median age 66, range from 30 to 94

Nationalities: 114 Thailand, 2 Myanmar, 1 Bangladesh, 1 Japan, 1 Indonesia.

Province breakdown led by Bangkok with 61.

--Samut Sakhon, 7

--Nakhon Pathom, 6

--Pathum Thani, 5

--Chonburi, Narathiwat, Nakhon Nayok, Ayutthaya, Ratchaburi, 3 each

--Nakhon Sawan, Chaiyaphum, Sisaket, 2 each

and various others with single deaths.

By my tally, 31 different provinces with new COVID deaths.

630857427_2021-07-24deaths.jpg.91e5db5234d7b4c0663747bf9c34e47d.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/371751217776542

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The difference in mortality rates between ???????? and the ???????? is notable...as most who have spent time in both places can relate, the healthcare is much better in Thailand than the Philippines. 

It's more to do with the general health of Filipinos compared to Thais, mainly related to poverty, which is at least 40% of the population of 110 million. Now with lockdowns that have lasted over 16 months already, that number is probably a lot higher. That the number of reported deaths in Philippines is not much higher is surprising. People are not even getting food aid (have family in a Philippine province). If you cannot afford to eat properly, even in good times, there's not much chance of surviving a covid-19 infection, and now with the delta variant spreading the situation there will get 10x worse, very rapidly.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My point is that they would have to die of Covid... are you presuming they test post mortem or Covid deaths are assigned generally?

I actually know the answer to this!

In Mexico, they only count people who test positive and who die in a hospital. Since they don’t test many people, the overall numbers are low, but there is a very high ratio of hospital deaths to overall cases because nobody goes to the hospital until and unless they are almost dead AND the hospitals are full.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ambulances have been running non stop back and forth this morning.  Tells me that they are either responding to calls of a medical nature or they are headed out to retrieve people needing to go to the hospital or are headed to a hospital.

Erm,... what else would ambulances be doing?!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Chile deaths have actually gone UP since starting Chinese vaccine use - simple look at the Worldometer chart shows that. Deaths count , not infections

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/chile/

my simple look at the Worldometer chart doesn’t see deaths going up.

It looks like Chile has a low number of deaths consistent with a low number of infections.

But, deaths are a lagging indicator. Although Chile has approximately the same number of deaths today as Thailand, I would bet money that Thailand will have many more deaths over the next two months than Chile.  Because new infections drive hospitalizations, which drive fatalities.

Watch and learn.

F5999DED-12B0-4F45-A768-AFACC98D012F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Sitting at the hospital car park if not being called out….obviously.

Exactly. So why mention what they are supposedly doing? Just say - I saw non stop stream of ambulances this morning. Odd and over analysing.

14 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

If you have the "Stats" please share.

You have my interest.

It's confusing the way it is reported.   Take this example:  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/delta-variant-pfizer-covid-vaccine-39percent-effective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Israel say its only 39% effective but still prevents severe illness, whereas UK says it is 88% effective at preventing "symptomatic disease"

58 minutes ago, James105 said:

Vaccines do not prevent you from catching covid.   It is expected that people who have been vaccinated will catch the virus.   The point of having a vaccine is to reduce the possibility of becoming seriously ill from covid.   The vaccines are not 100% effective so it is expected that not only will people still catch the virus, but it is also expected that people will still die from the virus, but at much lower rate than would have done without the vaccines.

I'd recommend repeating the above sentences as many times to yourself as necessary until the shock and surprise no longer occurs when you see media headlines that involve the words "double vaccinated person has caught corona virus" or "infections increasing despite <insert population percentage here> of people being double vaccinated!".   

What does it mean, "catching covid", or "catch the virus"? If a vaccinated person was in a room full of infected people, the virus is in the air. The vaccinated person would be breathing it into his lungs and nasal passages, in which case he "caught" the virus. If he has natural or vaccinated immunity, how does he "catch covid"? Are you suggesting he caught covid if the viruses are attempting to attack his cells, even if they are unsuccessful? How long do the viruses stick around in a person who is 100% immune?

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This is what happens when there is low vaccination AND restrictions are lifted:

Florida has half the population of Thailand, but almost the same number of infections. Note that the vast majority of cases are unvaccinated.

I hope that the Anti-Vaxxers and anti-lockdown types look at these numbers.

8CF2C908-E9E2-444B-A645-D1B0D213ADB9.jpeg

It looks like some people believing they have not been "suckered" into getting vaccinated (Taylor Greene), have actually been suckered into getting sick and dying.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eeworldwide said:

Exactly. So why mention what they are supposedly doing? Just say - I saw non stop stream of ambulances this morning. Odd and over analysing.

HE is over analyzing? Meanwhile you pick apart a sentence that clearly conveyed its meaning. Just because there was descriptive  license hardly qualifies it for two posts. 2 seconds thought is about all that is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Last week, at least three men were found dead on #Bangkok’s streets, all testing positive for #COVID19. Read more: 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/man-found-dead-near-bangkoks-victory-monument-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

How long before the instructions are issued at a high level that no more photos of dead Covid victims in the street should be published?

Maybe heavy fines for anyone doing so….

Edited by Danderman123

32 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Not to mention the collateral damage of people possibly dying from not being able to or wanting to go to a hospital to be treated for other serious illnesses or accidents. I thought about this last time I was out on my motorcycle. I had better be extra careful not to have an accident.

Don't be so selfish, it would give them a good laugh to see somebody wheeled in with a big hole in his head and a leg hanging off. Schadenfreude mate, cheers people up no end. 

Bangkok province update for Saturday:

Saturday's tally of 2,745 new cases marked a decline from Friday's total, and remained below the pandemic highs from earlier in the month.

2021-07-24h.jpg.1e9e66e00df4c820384fae520940fc52.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/371738464444484/?type=3

2021-07-24g.jpg.76998778590f3c5b4bd6e4fb2941cee9.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/371738321111165/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rott said:

Don't be so selfish, it would give them a good laugh to see somebody wheeled in with a big hole in his head and a leg hanging off. Schadenfreude mate, cheers people up no end. 

Hopefully I can avoid being their source of entertainment LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I stand corrected, the war on the insurgency and the bombing and ambush attacks therein. You are of course right.

I’m not sure if there was a life lost in the argument with the Cambodians a few years back over the temple sitting in Cambodia but with access to it from Thailand. Phrea Vihear, was it called? There were skirmishes, unsure if it led to any deaths.

but your point is true. Not many deaths over several years….thank goodness. I guess every army has to plan for the worst though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

How long before the instructions are issued at a high level that no more photos of dead Covid victims in the street should be published?

Maybe heavy fines for anyone doing so….

No. It's just Thainess, that's the way things are done. 

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

How many times have I seen this irrational class of cheap shot being taken on thaivisa.com?

So that's how public health services should be run? Take guidance from grieving, aggrieved relatives?

Well, how medical services should be run, is in such a way as to minimize the number of grieving, aggrieved relatives. If poor decisions are made by the government and its agencies, then they stand to be brought to account by the results of those poor decisions. And the result is usually evidenced by grieving, aggrieved relatives. 

to put it another way, the grieving, aggrieved relatives are a symptom. The cause is poor decisions by the government and its agencies. 

so by making rational decisions, at the right time time, the number of grieving, aggrieved relatives can be minimized. They count for something, because they are the end result of policies implemented.

• Like 2