Staying abroad, change your mobile phone, how to keep the Thai bank apps working?

15 hours ago, RoninTech said:

How are people getting SMS's sent to their Thai SIM while in another country?  Are you paying for expensive roaming packages or does it just work if you have the Thai SIM in your phone?

First, top up your account to say 500 baht. Use 10 baht top ups at a machine to increase expiry to 365 days.

Enable international roaming.  https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/register.html

Consider WiFi Calling.  https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

No need for a package, unless you want one. Simply turn on your phone, get a signal (or use WiFi calling), then request an SMS OTP, it should come through. 

According to AIS's info:  https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/package.html

Receiving SMS while abroad is Free of Charge.

Sending an SMS from the U.S. to thl would be 9.63 baht.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

First, top up your account to say 500 baht. Use 10 baht top ups at a machine to increase expiry to 365 days.

Enable international roaming.  https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/register.html

Consider WiFi Calling.  https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

No need for a package, unless you want one. Simply turn on your phone, get a signal (or use WiFi calling), then request an SMS OTP, it should come through. 

According to AIS's info:  https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/package.html

Receiving SMS while abroad is Free of Charge.

Sending an SMS from the U.S. to thl would be 9.63 baht.

Brilliant, thanks @mtls2005!  I've done all this except for WiFi calling which AIS doesn't support on my phone (Pixel 1).  That's really cool that OTP SMS's come through for free.

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, ClaytonSeymour said:

Having just purchased a new iPhone, I’d like to post an update to this topic. Krungsri banking app now requires a mobile data connection via a Thai SIM card in order to transfer it to a new device.

The TTB banking app, as per setting up from new, also requires this to transfer the app to your new device.

My wife banks with Krung Thai, this app simply transferred over during the quick, iPhone to iPhone transfer & she was able to log straight in - even before she’d swapped the Thai SIM card over to her new phone.

Slightly off topic, I also had the Krungsri @ccess Mobile  app (mutual funds) on my old device. Currently this is lost, as the app just shuts down, the moment I attempt to open it on my new device.

Just bumping this thread to note that having just moved to a new iPhone, whilst the above still works for the TTB app, I hit a stumbling block with the Krungsri app. Having submitted my bank account and passport numbers on the identification page this popped up,  "Digital authentication is required before using Krungsri app. Please bring your ID card to update your photo for digital authentication registration at any Krungsri branch near you."

I thought I'd done the digital authentication back in May, I was getting constant reminders to go and have my photo taken, so when I obtained my new bank card, I also asked them to do this. The notifications ceased. Anyway, my wife rang Krungsri this morning & was told that when switching to a new mobile phone, you must go to a branch for another mug shot.

Fortunately, Krungsri still have online banking. Account & passport number sufficient to reset my password (forgotten it as I hadn't logged in for over 3 years). I'm also going to transfer most of the funds in there to TTB & leave a nominal amount - Krungsri's loss not mine. 

Seemingly, Krungsri have gone from being the easiest to transfer to a new device, to impossible without making an unscheduled trip back to Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:03 PM, kuzie57 said:

Get a VPN.

In regards to this old thread, I think kuzie57 was thinking of VOIP and not VPN.

I have not researched this, but I suspect one can obtain a Thailand VOIP number that includes SMS functionality (albiet one needs to pay extra for such service).  This will give one a Thai phone number (which can be SMS capable for even more cost) that one can use anywhere in the world.  One not even need a sim in their phone to use the VOIP.

Then when outside of Thailand one can then run a VOIP app on any mobile phone (with a sim from a completely different country, and even without a sim in one's mobile phone, if one has WiFi) and as long as one has the correct username and password, one can then access one's VOIP phone number, and then use one's mobile phone with the Thai phone number provided by the VOIP service.

I suspect (but do not know if the case) that Thailand banks would not even be aware one is using a VOIP #, and even if they were aware, since it is a Thai phone # they may not care.  However the VOIP # would have had to be used when first setting up one's mobile banking.

Having typed that, I do not adopt that approach. Its extra money and extra inconvenience. Typically a VOIP app running on one's mobile phone drains the power on one's phone 2x the normal speed and not so pleasant.  Typically each use of a VOIP # (for voice or SMS) costs one money (in addition to any monthly charge).  And I find in launching the VOIP app there is typically a lag when using such.

But it is a possible approach for one who does not mind those limitations.

Edited by oldcpu

On 7/31/2021 at 10:36 AM, lanng khao said:

Love the kasikorn app, you can't beat your Mrs sending a screenshot of the electricity bill and you pay it in while your in UK in seconds..????

If PEA is your power provider, you can just take a photo of the bar code on an old bill and keep it in your phone and then use that to pay the bill with KBank app.  That worked for me a couple of years ago when the PEA meter reader left the neighbor's bill in our mailbox and our's was lost.

53 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:
On 7/31/2021 at 10:36 AM, lanng khao said:

Love the kasikorn app, you can't beat your Mrs sending a screenshot of the electricity bill and you pay it in while your in UK in seconds..????

If PEA is your power provider, you can just take a photo of the bar code on an old bill and keep it in your phone and then use that to pay the bill with KBank app.  That worked for me a couple of years ago when the PEA meter reader left the neighbor's bill in our mailbox and our's was lost.

With the KBank mobile app for MEA bills one just needs to set up a Payment transfer favorite for MEA with the contract account and each month the bill amount appears within the KBank app to pay. There is no need to even see the bill or do any bar coding.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, Namplik said:

Yes indeed, in times like this we should treat the Thai sim like really valuable object and keep it in our home ???? I do however bring it with me all the time in my dual sim phone. Makes me think twice about that now....

That is a very interesting question! 

I was in Australia for about 2 years. I maintained my AIS post pay account. when I wanted to pay a bill in Thailand I removed my Australian SIM and reinserted my AIS SIM. 

Then opened my internet banking for either K Bank or BBL. Transfer to pay a local (Thailand) bill worked every time.

Then of course removed my AIS SIM and reinserted my Australian Telecom SIM.  

You can't move Thai banking apps to another phone while abroad.

That's a major headache, especially if you're forced (by loss, theft or breakage) to use a new phone. Otherwise, it's probably best to keep using the old phone for the Thai banking apps until returning to Thailand. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's a major headache, especially if you're forced (by loss, theft or breakage) to use a new phone. Otherwise, it's probably best to keep using the old phone for the Thai banking apps until returning to Thailand. 

Is the Thai Banking app 'linked to the model phone' or to the 'sim' (with its associated phone #)  in the phone? 

I have not tested this for different banks (except being forced to do so for Bangkok bank), but I suspect it is 'sim' (with its specific assigned phone#) dependent and not 'phone model' dependent.  

My Xiaomi phone died some years back, and I replaced it with a Samsung (transferring the Thai sim from my Xiaomi to my new Samsung) , and I don't recall any issues using the Bangkok Bank app on the Samsung (with the old Thai sim).   I note thou - I was in Thailand at the time.  I do not recall having to go to Bangkok Bank to make it work.

That is why a (more expensive) VOIP approach (with a Thai phone #)  could work.

Edited by oldcpu

33 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You can still keep your apps as long as they're on your old phone you don't need to keep the SIM number they work on your old phone. Remove the sim to your other phone or just leave the old simmon now but you can still use your apps on your old phone

On 7/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, Namplik said:

But setting up your Thai bank app on your new phone is maybe not possible at all living outside of Thailand? 

I had the same problem setting-up a banking app with a UK bank, so I used a VPN on my phone to download the app, and it worked fine.  I can't see why it shouldn't work with a Thai bank.

28 minutes ago, arick said:

You can still keep your apps as long as they're on your old phone you don't need to keep the SIM number they work on your old phone. Remove the sim to your other phone or just leave the old simmon now but you can still use your apps on your old phone

Yes, that works fine, I've removed my Thai SIM card at times and that had no impact on my Thai banking apps - they kept working.

41 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Is the Thai Banking app 'linked to the model phone' or to the 'sim' (with its associated phone #)  in the phone? 

I have not tested this for different banks (except being forced to do so for Bangkok bank), but I suspect it is 'sim' (with its specific assigned phone#) dependent and not 'phone model' dependent.  

My Xiaomi phone died some years back, and I replaced it with a Samsung (transferring the Thai sim from my Xiaomi to my new Samsung) , and I don't recall any issues using the Bangkok Bank app on the Samsung (with the old Thai sim).   I note thou - I was in Thailand at the time.  I do not recall having to go to Bangkok Bank to make it work.

That is why a (more expensive) VOIP approach (with a Thai phone #)  could work.

To re-authenticate Thai banking apps on a new phone, it seems to be necessary that you're connected to your Thai mobile network. People have reported that they weren't able to do it via WiFi or roaming from abroad. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

That’s not entirely true. I successfully moved the TTB app to my new iPhone.

31 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I had the same problem setting-up a banking app with a UK bank, so I used a VPN on my phone to download the app, and it worked fine.  I can't see why it shouldn't work with a Thai bank.

It’s not the downloading of the app that’s the issue. In the case of Krungsri it’s their requirement for you to go and have your photo taken at the branch.

Now it may well be that the once the photo is in the app, future transfers to a new device may be possible. You would hope that the app on the new phone would take & scan your photo for verification. That’s how it works with the NatWest app. But this is Thailand.

28 minutes ago, Caldera said:

To re-authenticate Thai banking apps on a new phone, it seems to be necessary that you're connected to your Thai mobile network. People have reported that they weren't able to do it via WiFi or roaming from abroad. 

With TTB & Krungsri roaming isn’t an issue; all that matters is that the data source is from your Thai SIM. That’s how it’s been for a number of years. It’s the new requirement for a face scan with Krungsri. Unfortunately, I fear TTB will also bring in this requirement.

With NatWest in the UK, all such face scans are done within the app & there is no need to visit a branch.

40 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Yes, that works fine, I've removed my Thai SIM card at times and that had no impact on my Thai banking apps - they kept working.

Problem is you then can’t sell your old device & then in my case, I’d be stuck with two max size iPhones. I did this before the dual SIM iPhones & it means always having a bag with you.

When I’m back in Thailand, I’m seriously tempted to buy an iPhone SE as a secondary device and put my Thai banking apps on there.