Thailand reports record high of 17,669 new COVID-19 cases and 165 deaths

webfact

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yet you still got the barflies defending the underground bars with they have done nothing wrong. Some people really have blinders on. Its getting worse and worse and these people are just helping the spread. Such irresponsible people should be deported if they are caught twice (repeat offenders)

Quite a few of the offenders are Thai though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dan42 said:

Uff....not good....

I feel so sad especially for the people in the villages.... Being so easy to influence with rumours, misinformation and panics they must be terrified at this moment. Poor people...

I'm really starting to think that the EU and the US need to start paying serious attention to what is happening in SEA, sending vaccines, equipment, experts... They won't have a stable vaccines supply for some time and they don't have the luxury to go on full lockdowns for long periods so they really need help. This is a once-in-a-century situation and any help we send them could help to save many lifes.

You dont think the Thai government is going to let Farangs come here and sort the job out do you? thats never going to happen

• Like 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From Khaosod Online via Google Translate:

Depressing! Doctor reveals pictures of coronavirus patients Overflowing in front of Ban Phaeo Hospital There is not enough oxygen. The number of sick patients coming to the emergency room is increasing every day. until there is no bed to sleep

FYO Ban Phaeo is in Samut Sakhon per capita the worst hit province in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Interestingly Japan with around 40% fully vaccinated is saying it's going to take at least 1 yr. to fully bring under control. Japan is vaccinating mainly with mRNA I think but also AZ. Mr. Empty Head says within 2 months with around 6% fully vaccinated and a large % of these would be double dose Sinovac.

I believe the vaccination rate in Japan is around 8%.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/ahead-tokyo-olympics-japan-vaccination-rate-far-mark-n1272523

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, law ling said:

1. Vaccination seems the only hope ... yet I don't think they have even ordered sufficient vaccines yet ... I cannot even guess their game plan.

2. A lot of upcoming vaxing (with the gifted Pfizer and their own A-Z) will be the re-vaxing of the Sinovac-vaccinated, not new people.

I'm sorry to say that the WHO has stated time and time again vaccinating out of a wave does not work.  It takes far too much time to get immunity up.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From Khaosod Online via Google Translate:

Depressing! Doctor reveals pictures of coronavirus patients Overflowing in front of Ban Phaeo Hospital There is not enough oxygen. The number of sick patients coming to the emergency room is increasing every day. until there is no bed to sleep

https://www.khaosod.co.th/update-news/news_6534512

The government has already stated that some people will die at home with no medical care.  

It's already too late.  ????

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The issue of are antigen test results being counted in the official totals is an interesting one. I too recall the govt. saying anyone who tested positive with an antigen test would have an RT-PCR follow-up.

Last night, I believe, there was a Richard Barrow tweet saying that the Phetchabun numbers still had not yet been included in the national totals because they were based on antigen tests... And yet, the government has already said that a positive antigen test qualifies someone for treatment in the Thai public health system even without an RT-PCR test.

Like a lot of things that the Thai government says, that commitment seems to have fallen by the wayside. Unless they are ridiculed on social media for it, they will just let it slide.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

You dont think the Thai government is going to let Farangs come here and sort the job out do you? thats never going to happen

It can be done in a way that the thai goverment save face

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you think that will be the peak or do you see infections and deaths continuing to rise through September?

I wish i knew, think nobody knows for sure. The more it spreads to the provinces the worse it will get. I am not going to make any predictions. I never really thought id see numbers this high in such a short period. and that with lacking of testing and certain cases not being counted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand builds COVID-19 hospital in Bangkok airport amid surge in cases

BANGKOK, July 28 (Reuters) - Thai volunteers on Wednesday turned a cargo warehouse at Bangkok's Don Muang Airport into a 1,800-bed field hospital for COVID-19 patients with less severe symptoms, as the country deals with its biggest outbreak to date.

Workers drilled walls for toilet installations and set up beds and blankets.

"This is a level 1+ field hospital where it can receive a large number of patients, who have less severe symptoms," Rienthong Nanna, director of Mongkutwattana Hospital, told Reuters.  "But if patients' conditions deteriorate, they will be moved to our other field hospital called Pitak Rachan (Protect the King) Field Hospital," he added.

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-builds-covid-19-hospital-bangkok-airport-amid-surge-cases-2021-07-28/

Wait a minute, wasn’t this going to be closed in August due to the opening of the new hospital at Suvarnaphumi?

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

I wish i knew, think nobody knows for sure. The more it spreads to the provinces the worse it will get. I am not going to make any predictions. I never really thought id see numbers this high in such a short period. and that with lacking of testing and certain cases not being counted. 

Once the virus diminishes in Bangkok and shuffles offscreen into the provinces, much of the urgency will diminish.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not sure about deportation, but certainly very large fines and a night or two in the cells might deter such stupidity. 

The same should apply to people getting around the gym closures by hosting private gym sessions at their home with people from outside their household.

Or jogging in the streets? I had to take evasive action around 3 times on my way to work this morning.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I'm hoping to hear from @dinsdale as his predictions seem to have been accurate.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you think that will be the peak or do you see infections and deaths continuing to rise through September?

It's difficult to tell because of testing or lack thereof. Personally I think we are well away from the peak. Hope I'm wrong.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but given the population of Thais vs the population of expat guess who is on a percentage base comes higher ? Plus as a guest you should be on your best behavior. You cant deport Thais only fine them.

I have far more respect for a Thai bar girl breaking the rules trying to survive then an expat just wanting fun and risking it for his own selfish pleasure.

Sure the Thai's are just as big as a risk but those you can fine. 

What about in villages where there are no farang, no bar girls, just the locals gathering together at the village shop for drinks at the end of the working day? For every 1 bar with farang, there must be a 1000 instances of Thai’s getting together all across the country. That’s why, although farang think the alcohol restrictions are aimed at them and are stupid, in fact they are aimed at Thai people and their social habits, because they are over 90% of the population.

I’m not saying that you are wrong in saying farang should be punished, just that farang are a very small percentage of the population and therefore likely to be a small percentage of the rule breakers.

In this instance, per capita comparisons doesn’t  really make much sense. If there were only 1 farang here and he breaks the rules, it would be 100%. But 10k Thai out of 77 million would be far more serious.

anyway, the rules are the rules and the punishments are the punishments.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2