Thailand reports 18,027 new COVID-19 cases, 133 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

2021-07-21T010743Z_2_LYNXMPEH6K014_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A man undergoes a free coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test at a rapid antigen mass testing station as the spread of COVID-19 continues, in Bangkok, Thailand, July 15, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Sunday (Aug 1) reported 18,027 new COVID-19 cases with 133 new fatalities.

Health officials said 374 of the new cases were linked to prisons, while 13,402 people have been discharged having made a full recovery.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 615,314 with 4,990 deaths. 

Despite recording slightly fewer cases than Saturday's record high, new COVID-19 cases in Thailand have continued to rise sharply since June, despite the authorities placing some provinces in partial lockdown and increasing restrictive measures nationwide.

It is understood that the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) will shortly rule on whether to extend the lockdowns and restrictions in the so-called 'dark red' zones in Thailand, as well as discussing other measures.

The news comes as the chief of the Department of Disease Control, Dr Opas Kankawinpong, on Friday warned the COVID-19 situation in Thailand could get worse before it gets better.

Dr Opas said that even with continued lockdowns and ongoing restrictive measures, it is expected that the number of daily new cases will top 20,000 in August. Without lockdowns, the number of daily new cases would reach 40,000, Dr Opas said.

As cases continue to rise, delays continue to beset Thailand's vaccine rollout.

While a record number of people received a single dose of the vaccine on Friday, just 5.5 percent of the population are fully vaccinated against the virus.

On Saturday, it was announced that a new vaccine registration website for foreigners in Thailand will be launched today (Aug 1).

asean_now_BB.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Dr Opas said that even with continued lockdowns and ongoing restrictive measures, it is expected that the number of daily new cases will top 20,000 in August. Without lockdowns, the number of daily new cases would reach 40,000, Dr Opas said.

"He added that with strong cooperation from the public, the daily contraction rate could drop by 20 percent in one month’s time to about 30,000 people a day, from the present number in excess of 40,000 people."

From the other thread about this.

Very confusing. 

Having said this the so-called lockdowns may have some effect but not enough to reign in this Delata variant. As previously stated the virus is fleeting transmission, if it gets into a household the likelyhood of all members contracting the virus is almost 100% and the lastest I heard was once contracted it only takes 30 hrs for that person to become infectious being pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. Add to that vaccine breakthrough and the situation is grim. Numbers will continue to rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

That and then some, this won't be gone in 14 days, numbers will keep rising probably. But hopefully the hospitals can take it.

Our neighbors young Swedish couple is going back home, they seem to think that this will take a while.

I wasn't implying that anything will change with 14 day lockdown.

It's more that seems Thai like to be fed in bite size mouthfuls. 

Any announcement of more than 2 weeks would be difficult.

Will be rolling 2 week restrictions imo.

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I wasn't implying that anything will change with 14 day lockdown.

It's more that seems Thai like to be fed in bite size mouthfuls. 

Any announcement of more than 2 weeks would be difficult.

Will be rolling 2 week restrictions imo.

Yes that is what it will be I think they want to give some people hope or something (false hope). Your totally right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

"He added that with strong cooperation from the public, the daily contraction rate could drop by 20 percent in one month’s time to about 30,000 people a day, from the present number in excess of 40,000 people."

From the other thread about this.

Very confusing. 

Having said this the so-called lockdowns may have some effect but not enough to reign in this Delata variant. As previously stated the virus is fleeting transmission, if it gets into a household the likelyhood of all members contracting the virus is almost 100% and the lastest I heard was once contracted it only takes 30 hrs for that person to become infectious being pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. Add to that vaccine breakthrough and the situation is grim. Numbers will continue to rise.

So why aren’t the prisons at 100% infected?

• Thanks 2

Just now, Scrotobike said:

And on it goes

Here is my opinion (but what do I know - except number 5 (pleasure part) on which I am an expert)

1. Stop the current sieve like lockdown

2. Lock down fully (close most factories, transport etc, certainly close the lottery!) for a month - but pay the workers (the HiSo factory owners can afford this so no goverment money needed)

3. Get some more vaccines (begging if need be)

4. Vaccinate the old and sick ONLY until they are all vaccinated.

5. Drop tax on beer/wine/whisky to allow the locked in some pleasure!

(5 is me being selfish)

Did I miss anything?

Point 2. Factory owners. The Chinese, Thai/Chinese owners will see this as giving away money. The old attage when hell freezes over springs to mind.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

2. Lock down fully (close most factories, transport etc, certainly close the lottery!) for a month -

I like most of your points. 

With the lockdown one big oversight has been inter provience travel.

Based on first hand reports on this forum it's easy. Also the ridiculous form that you can do online does not even require the "reason for travel" field to provide reason. It's optional.

Edit : I just notice @Marvin Hagler post above. The restrictions on inter provience travel out of cartoon.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

AFP News: As Covid cases surge in Thailand, some Buddhist monks are donning PPE over their distinctive robes, delivering oxygen cylinders, taking nasal samples to help with testing, and even helping carry the dead to the crematoriums https://sg.news.yahoo.com/thai-monks-don-protective-gear-023846882.html… #Thailand

qcNZNYR-?format=jpg&name=900x900

I have noticed that all ambulances crews are wearing full PPE in my area. Not sure about everywhere else but I'm assuming would be the same in all red and dark red zones. I live just back from the main road through my part of the town which leads to the local hospital. There's usually a few an hr. come through. It's a lot more now.

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This guy is a true rocket scientist in my view, in another OP running they talk about daily cases of 40k, and then 30k with the lockdowns being 25% successful, and the peak not being for quite awhile.  However, unless they get serious with the lockdown here in BKK I do not see how they can even think the numbers will drop.  Not looking like a lockdown here in BKK as yesterday seemed like it was a regular weekday and now that people are awake and moving the roadways are very busy for even a Sunday.  It looks like many people are fed up being told to stay inside, or ordered, without any real penalties in place.  So as I see it the spread here in BKK will continue as the side Sois are very packed today with folks buying from the vendors and shops, and the 7-11 near us packed as well.

This is what really annoyed me about the first wave of Covid last year when they were claiming all the fake glory. There really was no lockdown last year either, it was life as normal apart from bars that were semi closed. They say work from home but Thais simply do not have that level of trust and would never give their employees lap tops to work from home. Everyone went to the office last year and I doubt it’s any different know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I like most of your points. 

With the lockdown one big oversight has been inter provience travel.

Based on first hand reports on this forum it's easy. Also the ridiculous form that you can do online does not even require the "reason for travel" field to provide reason. It's optional.

Yep. As I have previously stated Sars-Cov-2 does not have legs. It hitches a ride with us.