Danish Sandbox tourist, 58, found safe after trek in Phuket jungle

Jonathan Fairfield

1628402051_1-org.jpeg

Danish tourist Michael Hildebrand safe and happy with the search team after spending hours lost in the dark jungle on Phuket’s northern west coast. Photo: Phuket Tourist Police

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 58-year-old Danish man who arrived in Phuket under the Phuket Sandbox scheme was found safe last night (Aug 7) after he became lost while trekking through the jungle near the hotel where he is staying on Phuket’s northern west coast.

Lt Col Ekkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police said that his officers were notified through the Tourist Police hotline 1155 at about 7:30pm that the tourist, Michael Hildebrand, was missing.

Mr Hildebrand had arrived in Phuket on July 31 and was staying at the Ideo Phuket Hotel in Sakhu, Thalang, just south of Phuket airport, he said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/danish-sandbox-tourist-58-found-safe-after-trek-in-phuket-jungle-80977.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-08

It was about 28 years ago the first time I visit Phuket, we where by group and it was possible to do a tour through the jungle with a Thai guide. 

It was around the Tonsai waterfall and go up, even the guide lose his way in the jungle there, it took us 4 hours to come out, some woman start crying I'll never forget.

Edited by Peterphuket

3 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Yes and your phone has connection everywhere in this "jungle" ......................

From the linked article... "

Mr Hildebrand went for a walk along Nai Yang Beach at about 4pm, and decided to walk through the jungle and over the hills to Nai Thon. However, darkness fell and he was unable to find his way back, Lt Col Ekkachai said.

Mr Hildebrand called the Tourist Police hotline for help, and was able to give his coordinates, indicating that he was somewhere halfway through the jungle between the two beaches, Lt Col Ekkachai added."

Not my phone, but the Danish Sandbox tourist, 58, managed it just fine, it seems. And he even was able to give his coordinates so the police knew exactly where he was.

41 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Mr Hildebrand went for a walk along Nai Yang Beach at about 4pm, and decided to walk through the jungle and over the hills to Nai Thon. However, darkness fell and he was unable to find his way back, Lt Col Ekkachai said.

Mr Hildebrand called the Tourist Police hotline for help, and was able to give his coordinates, indicating that he was somewhere halfway through the jungle between the two beaches, Lt Col Ekkachai added."

Not my phone, but the Danish Sandbox tourist, 58, managed it just fine, it seems. And he even was able to give his coordinates so the police knew exactly where he was.

in US crime dramas, they "ping" your phone and it is easy......

Got lost with my Ex on Samui at night with a bike on unpaved roads, we both has some beers and it was dark like in a bear's rear. Talking about 30 years ago. We found a temple and crashed on wooden benches until sunrise. Life was good in those days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Read for your phone his phone, what I mean to say is that a phone has connection in the "jungle". Surprising or not a real jungle ?

He may not have been familiar with where he was, but he had phone service, GPS, map applications a compass application, etc.  Not to mention only about 1 km from the coast or the nearest road.  Pick a direction and head in it and you would hit something.  A 250 meter hill?  Hardly a challenge for anybody in any sort of hiking shape

• Like 1