Thai police charge local man with murder of Swiss tourist on Phuket

webfact

35 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

It is curious how this time, the international press has had a great impact on the tragedy, perhaps the fact that the victim was a person of high rank and social level had an influence.  I did not see the same repercussion with previous crimes in LOS.

I think there was a bit of a stir on Ko Tao a few years ago and earlier Taksin went to Samui after a similar case there which was also quickly solved soon after - the perpetrators even had the girls shirt on their boat - conveniently. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Where do you get this nonsense from? There is no forest there….you are about a 100 feet from the road…..and when I was there all times of year nowhere to swim because there wasn’t much water. It is a dead end road. It isn’t much of a tourist attraction. I don’t believe she found her way there on her own, she had either been there before or somebody took her there. Much more interesting places close to Ao Yon than that place. Lived there for three years and pretty much hiked the whole area. The whole story sounds like <deleted> made up by the police to me……300 baht…..what woman would lose her life for that pathetic amount? She wasn’t a youngster, and she would have just given him the money. Story has huge holes in it.

Rape and possibly drugged up sounds plausible and money just a bonus for him. 

Were you led there or did you find it yourself? Is the area mentioned in guide books?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Remember the "Thais would never do this" about Ko Tao murders? 

Then recall some time later when 2 Thais in Issan tried to copy the Koh Tao murders by trying to bash in the head of a German guy with mattocks.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Poor woman killed for 300 baht ! Can but hope that this piece of detritus never sees the light of day again - and judging by the effect it will have on tourism I'm pretty sure the TAT will push for it

Anyone who has been in Thailand for more than five minutes knows that life is worth nothing here. It wasn't long ago that an American, a good soul who had taken responsibility in helping a young and destitute Thai family, was killed by a taxi driver in Bangkok in a dispute over 100 baht. Sometimes even money isn't involved, just loss of face. Like the security guard who was shot because he told a soldier he shouldn't double-park. My wife feels a need to carry a bat in the car with her in case of road rage and someone coming at her with a sword or worse. There's danger everywhere in the self-styled Land of Smiles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so it must have been someone else that beat her, striped her naked, raped her and murdered her, great public message to be sending out

His apparent lack of knowledge of the crime scene is a bit worrying,

• Like 1

Irrelevant on the subject but the reporting in this country is more than mind-boggling. 

Today's contribution in above article reads "deputy protocol chief of the Federal Assembly of Germany". Well, I did not know that the German parliament employs Swiss staff. 

the story is not very well covered in the Swiss newspapers, reason why i do not understand. Also, the Swiss department  of foreign affairs till current point in time do not officially confirm who is the victim out of privacy protection.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Poor woman killed for 300 baht ! Can but hope that this piece of detritus never sees the light of day again - and judging by the effect it will have on tourism I'm pretty sure the TAT will push for it

If he would have threaten her for robbery , shure she would have given him her belongings .... just saying .

RIP .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Probably the best thing my wife says about living in the UK is that she feels safe.

And that cars stop at pedestrian crossings ???? . However, there will be others on this site who will argue that they feel safer in Bangkok than London, where they are unlikely to get stabbed on the street. But I prefer to side with your comments.

• Like 1

"He found 300 baht ($9) in her bag and used it to buy drugs, drinks and phone repairs, he said"....Hmm, would it be possible to learn where this guy went to get all of this for 9 bucks ??? He must have also had some real good discount coupons.

• Haha 1

If you start with the solid premise that all Thais are liars then you add varying degrees that apply to different levels of society for criminals, TAT, the police and politicians, then things become so obscure that you can go round and round in ever decreasing circles until you disappear up your own bum hole. The only truth that will ever come out of this is that a female tourist trying to enjoy a holiday was brutally murdered. You can blame the economy, drugs, education, society, some sad sacks will even blame the woman, but I have daughters and  I find it incredibly offensive that so often it is women who are targeted and women who can't travel safely on their own anywhere. Its not just in Thailand, its everywhere, but at least in some other countries you are more likely to get to the truth.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

Someone was saying drugs should be decriminalised, on the "Robin Hood" drug dealer thread, which I can sympathise with if users only ruined their own lives. This is an extreme case of how drugs affect those around the user. 

Assuming money and not rape was the motive here would cheap freely available drugs have saved her life? I doubt it but it is certainly a debate that needs investigating. 

To me drug taking is not a problem as it is their choice and only affects the them. If he/she overdoses it's their fault. 

The problem is how it affects others - partners, children, parents, colleagues and those harmed by the violence and crimes committed and things like drug driving. 

If laws around drug use are relaxed it may reduce the crimes committed to help obtain the drugs but all the other problems will still be their. 

Did this <deleted> kill her to fund his habit or because he was already under the influence? 

There are still crimes committed connected to tobacco and alcohol but you don't hear much about robberies and murders committed by people having a joint or two. 

I can't say I  have a solution but do think crimes committed to feed a drug habit should be treated differently. Stealing a PlayStation to help feed your family is way different to stealing it to feed your habit. One is desperation and the other is desperation but the second is desperation caused by choice. 

Even the risk of a death sentence does little to deter some people so another strategy needs to be found - not because we should care about low life's like this <deleted> but because we care about our wife's, mothers, sisters and daughters!

Sorry I don't agree with your assessment of Cannabis. The major side effect of cannabis is Paranoia and schizophrenia especially in those people who smoke a lot of it. Cannabis addicts are known for their anti social behaviour especially with regards to noise because cannabis suppresses the perception of sound.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

Do you not think there is a desire to make things look better and less newsworthy? 

Of course, the defendant is trying to acknowledge only attempted robbery and assault, and not rape and murder, in order to obtain a lesser conviction.
But that is normal everywhere and is the first thing his lawyer will have advised him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

With 300 baht in her bag why would she resist a man when she was alone in a forest? Unfortunately she is deceased and without witnesses the attacker can make up any scenario he likes. If he is indeed the person who killed her he should be hanging from the yard arm already. That would send a crystal clear message to anyone else considering doing the same but of course that won’t happen. Very sad indeed her family must be absolutely devasted.

Cant you see where this is going? Give it a week or two. he wasn't in a normal state of mind, he was only asking for money. the victim over reacted , she panicked and screamed, he was frightened , he snatched her money and ran. 

• Confused 1