Two COVID-19 Nasal Spray Vaccine Prototypes to Enter Human Trials in Thailand This Year

snoop1130

f5a18de3771dc8186cad322716601c1d_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s National Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (Biotec) expects two COVID-19 nasal spray vaccine candidates to enter their first phase of human trials later this year.

Biotec’s Veterinary Health Innovation and Management Research Group Director Anan Jongkaewwattana said the two candidates are adenovirus-based and influenza-based, with tests on mice producing encouraging results. The vaccine candidates are being jointly developed with pharmaceutical company KinGen BioTech and meet Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) safety standards.

He explained that the adenovirus-based vaccine was given to mice infected with COVID-19 and the animals did not fall ill, though they gained weight when compared with those given intramuscular injections.

Mr Anan said Biotec is preparing to launch human trials using the adenovirus-based vaccine candidate against the Delta variant, adding that Biotec’s nasal vaccine is similar to those being developed in other countries.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

expects two COVID-19 nasal spray vaccine candidates to enter their first phase of human trials later this year.

Can't help but compare this trial to the invention of the tin opener after pull rings added to tin cans. I'm pretty sure the west  - and China - would have come up with some tablet by the time it gets rolled out after testing - they should have been doing this a year ago

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackGats said:

I see a problem with nasal sprays. You can't vaccinate six people from the same spray vial. Not sure it's more practical than injections.

Many years ago I was involved in a clinical trial for Imigran, a migraine medication that didn't use opioids.  It was administered by injection.  Worked a treat.  Then along came the same dose in a nasal spray and it worked just as well and was way more convenient.  If this can be pulled off provided the cold chain could be solved it would be a game changer.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JackGats said:

I see a problem with nasal sprays. You can't vaccinate six people from the same spray vial. Not sure it's more practical than injections.

Same might be said of needles I expect... it also sounds like less training will be required to administer this. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JackGats said:

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Same might be said of needles I expect... it also sounds like less training will be required to administer this. 

A single dose phial will solve that problem @JackGats. I see many advantages. 1. Can be self administered. 2. Easy to distribute. 3. Less staff required at a vaccination session. 4. Gets round the problem of 'needle fear'. And I'm sure there are others. Bring it on.

• Like 2

Wow that's quick l thought they are still doing human trials with the jab, they must have been so successful with no deaths, no side effects, no adverse reations, immunity from the virus and can't contract or spread the virus once vaccinated, well that would be a NO to all of the above, let's try something else maybe trial it on the people making these decisions and wait and see

• Like 1

As others suggest it may be popular with those averse to pricks.

However if certification is needed to fly for example will need proof , perhaps just a paharmacy stamp on a WHO worlwide cert. Or perhaps those fine uniformed sailors waiting for a sub can become nasal reserves. One can just picture those on the Beach rd summoning treatment with a hearty cry of "Hello Sailor" or unemployed horticultarlists becomin a bunch of aerosoloists

19 hours ago, JackGats said:

So it's not normal to use the same syringe for injecting several people. A virologist who has developed several viral vaccines thought that nasal spray would protect better from infection via nasal receptors than by injection.

Another commenter here suggested self-administration of the vaccine spray. That could lead to a higher possibility of fake vaccines in the market. 

8 hours ago, placnx said:

So it's not normal to use the same syringe for injecting several people. A virologist who has developed several viral vaccines thought that nasal spray would protect better from infection via nasal receptors than by injection.

Another commenter here suggested self-administration of the vaccine spray. That could lead to a higher possibility of fake vaccines in the market. 

In Thailand, no never-  fake products are not allowed and against the law ????

Edited by Artisi