Bread and potatoes

splodger

21 hours ago, splodger said:

Tesco,Big C,7/11

How long are you visiting(or in Thailand) already . You should know these are not the places to look for bread or potatoes. Although all 3 of them have bread and 2 of them even potatoes , you should know there are much better places to find better quality . 

On 8/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, zzaa09 said:

Learn how to acclimate and adjust. 

Eat local.

What do you mean by eating local? Buying food from street food carts, or takeaway food from Thai restaurants?

I buy Thai frozen meals from 7Eleven and the supermarkets (S&P etc). Does this count as eating local? I would venture to say that the quality is better than what I order in Thai restaurants and it's more hygienic too. For example, if I buy frozen Thai green curry chicken, it always tastes good and the same, but from restaurants it's a lucky dip. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. I'm also sure I won't pick up any bacterial (or viral) infections.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

How long are you visiting(or in Thailand) already . You should know these are not the places to look for bread or potatoes. Although all 3 of them have bread and 2 of them even potatoes , you should know there are much better places to find better quality . 

I've been visiting for a continuous 16 years and still I'm quite happy with the quality of baked goods at Big C-Extra. The good thing is they throw out most of what is not sold every night, so you're always buying fresh.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I've been visiting for a continuous 16 years and still I'm quite happy with the quality of baked goods at Big C-Extra. The good thing is they throw out most of what is not sold every night, so you're always buying fresh.

Which may not be the case at your local markets. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's ok , but they still cannot win from some of the local bakery shops(mostly the foreign owned french bakery) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Broaden your horizons........you will not be disappointed.

Whilst BigC-Extra is consistent in it's quality there is a better variety/quality to be had from some independent operators.

18 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Whilst BigC-Extra is consistent in it's quality there is a better variety/quality to be had from some independent operators.

Running around Pattaya trying to find a better loaf of bread or better pastries and cakes is not something I need to do. With high blood sugar I'm trying my best not to be tempted LOL, so I'll settle for the occasional treat where I do the rest of my shopping. 7Eleven has delightful cakes too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

It's ok , but they still cannot win from some of the local bakery shops(mostly the foreign owned french bakery) 

Some of these foreign owned French bakeries stock shelves in Friendship, Foodmart and other supermarkets.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Which may not be the case at your local markets. 

It's quite hard to assess the freshness of a loaf of bread, cake or pastry until you take your first bite. Cakes are not health food, so if you're going to eat some, it had better be fresh and very delightful.

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

It's quite hard to assess the freshness of a loaf of bread, cake or pastry until you take your first bite. Cakes are not health food, so if you're going to eat some, it had better be fresh and very delightful.

Well usually giving it a squeeze is an idea, but I feel confident that stuff is recently baked in say Big-CX, as they have a good turnover, and you can see it going on. Local markets, I am a little concerned at that pile of meat under a skin of flies.... they are under pressure there not to throw away older stock. 

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Agree, for me the best bakery in the Pattaya area is O Delices, it's in Jomtien just off Thepraya Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9006632,100.8682839,3a,75y,156.15h,84.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seHwMozCEOyKCXfFtfJCH_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Thanks 1