The air conditioning nightmare

CH1961

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Same as you I noticed Mitsubishi in all gov and commercial buildings.

My first rental had them all decades old. The house I just bought has had them for ten years and all working.

That's what I'll buy.

Right on!

Stay cool brother!

Its nice to know everyone can fix those Mitsu's.  It's like having a Toyota.  They rarely fail but when they do everybody and there sister can fix them.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What I was saying is that it took more lekky on Dry than if it was on Cool.

But yes, no problems with them at all.

Dry mode is supposed to be more energy efficient.

"the benefits of using Dry Mode are to lowering the moisture in the room significantly (but not all), maintaining comfortable indoor room temperature and it is a more energy efficient option."

you shouldn't be using the condenser as much.

I assume Lekky is electricity, right?

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

A dye check for ac leaks is a must. 

Never saw a dye check for leaks. Maybe in ancient times. I used an electronic detector who's ultimate sensitivity was 7grams a year (yes a year) leak.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Dry mode is supposed to be more energy efficient.

"the benefits of using Dry Mode are to lowering the moisture in the room significantly (but not all), maintaining comfortable indoor room temperature and it is a more energy efficient option."

you shouldn't be using the condenser as much.

I assume Lekky is electricity, right?

Yes, it is SUPPOSED to take less electricity (lekky in Manchester), but as I have found out, and johng confirmed a few hours ago, that is not the case.

When on Dehumidify (Dry) mode, it still gets very cold, but without any temperature showing on the remote, so I think it is the same as the I FEEL setting ie 24 degrees, which is too cold for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, samtam said:

I completely renovated my apartment primarily because the (built-in) airconditioning system that I installed when I bought the place 15 years previously was failing on a regular basis, with disastrous leakages from the ceiling etc. I think the original system might have been Daikin, but by the time the aircon tech had finished, (doing 3x per year cleaning and increasingly regular repairs), each unit was a busterdised variation of the original. Soo, all of that was replaced with 5 Mitisubishi wall-mounted units. They have been regularly cleaned every 6 months by the guy who installed, who is accredited by Mitsubishi, and they work extremely well. The only fear I have is that the next cleaning is in September, and I am concerned about having the team in the flat for the 3 hours it takes for them to clean, (currently avoiding workmen of any description). The best news is that the electricity bill has reduced by  3 or 4 times.  

So you are saying that between 75 & 80 % of your electricity usage was on the air con?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

When on Dehumidify (Dry) mode, it still gets very cold, but without any temperature showing on the remote, so I think it is the same as the I FEEL setting ie 24 degrees, which is too cold for me.

The dehumidify mode must cool the air to function, and it will probably be sensing  the overall humidity or water extracted, so unless you are using a standalone dehumidifier it will cool the room.

There are certainly very expensive temperature and humidity control systems that don’t do that but your problem is not a general one so for domestic AC units that are built down to a price that kind of control system is a waste of money.

With a stand-alone dehumidifier you have the exact opposite problem that it will heat the processed air.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The dehumidify mode must cool the air to function, and it will probably be sensing  the overall humidity or water extracted, so unless you are using a standalone dehumidifier it will cool the room.

There are certainly very expensive temperature and humidity control systems that don’t do that but your problem is not a general one so for domestic AC units that are built down to a price that kind of control system is a waste of money.

With a stand-alone dehumidifier you have the exact opposite problem that it will heat the processed air.

Thanks for this info, which I had figured out myself. My air cons, and I would guess most non-inverter units, simply pump out air at 17 C and turn off when the sensor reads whatever temperature the air coming back in from the room is what you have set on the remote control. In Auto mode, that temperature is 24 C for a Mr Slim.

Best to get the professionals in from the company who make whatever you have. We eventually got Mitsu's team in after the local cleaner said he was having to fill the gas every time on a Mr Slim. The first comment after 'who put this in' was who put all this gas in! They had to bleed some off, it had never needed topping up at all,

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CH1961 said:

There is fixed speed aircon vs inverter aircon. 

Inverter has nothing to to with heating/reverse cycle

Some inverter A/C are reverse cycle, some are not.

Some inverter models (exact model ID) are reverse cycle, some are not.

It seems to depend on which country they are sold in.

Just like a car in Thailand mostly doesn't have a heater, whereas the same model in the US would.

My mistake was not adding 'reverse cycle' in front of the word 'inverter'.

I know of no A/C that has a fixed speed, that is fan speed, all have some variation, also I know of no A/Cs that has a variable speed compressors, that would seem counter productive, inefficient and pointless as A/Cs work best at 30psi low side and 80 to 150 psi high side, slowing the compressor speed would only reduce the high side pressure.

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

I know of no A/Cs that has a variable speed compressors, that would seem counter productive, inefficient and pointless as A/Cs work best at 30psi low side and 80 to 150 psi high side, slowing the compressor speed would only reduce the high side pressure.

Seriously?

I think you need to do some research as that is exactly how an inverter works.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, MrJ2U said:

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Our first Aircon was a Samsung's.  It also stopped working after 3 years. Good refrigerators though.

We built a house.  

I wanted to save electricity so I ordered Daikon inverter air-conditioning ers, 8 of them.

They couldn't handle Thailands heat and humidity.  If it was over 28 Celsius it felt like it was blowing warm air?  

I was upset.  Daikin s aren't cheap!

I've been told inverters just can't handle the extreme heat and humidity.

Luckily they replaced all of them with Mitsubishi Mr Slims.

Its been 4 years now and I'm very pleased.  Usually run them at 22-24 celsius for a good nights sleep.

Mitsubishi's are great products and easy to get cleaned, gassed up, or repaired anywhere in Thailand.  I see them installed in hotels throughout Thailand.

There was a similar thread a few months back from "Sheryll" in Hua Hin about her 

Daikon inverter air-cons air- blowing warm air.

Good luck!

I couldn't live here without Aircon.

Inverters can stand the heat and humidity you were told by?  He must of been very educated with a masters and you believed him. 

• Confused 1

I've seen reverse cycle (heat pump) models installed in Chiangmai and Chiang rai, it does get cold enough to need them in the mountains there, all the heat pump models I've seen in Australia seem to be made in Thailand. The only difference in installation is that the outside unit needs drain pipes too

Samsung with aluminium fins and piping leaking after a couple of years seem to be a thing, our technician said it's not possible to patch up unlike brass internals of other brands, and not economical to replace. 

I don't get the irrational brand loyalty when it comes to air conditioners, there isn't much in an air conditioner, a compressor, a couple of fans, electronics, big capacitor etc. A lot of the components are identical inside different brands, the components come from the same suppliers and factories. They are all manufactured to a price point, cheaper usually means aluminium rather than copper, a cheaper compressor etc.

If a unit is installed correctly, cleaned and serviced regularly, there is no reason to think similarly priced units will not have similar performance and longevity. I have had brand name units fail after 5 years and unbranded units still going strong after 15 years.

2 hours ago, arick said:

Inverters can stand the heat and humidity you were told by?  He must of been very educated with a masters and you believed him. 

They have problems with extremely high heat and humidity.

I do have a masters degree but not in Aircon repair.

But I do have common sense.

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I don't get the irrational brand loyalty when it comes to air conditioners, there isn't much in an air conditioner, a compressor, a couple of fans, electronics, big capacitor etc. A lot of the components are identical inside different brands, the components come from the same suppliers and factories. They are all manufactured to a price point, cheaper usually means aluminium rather than copper, a cheaper compressor etc.

If a unit is installed correctly, cleaned and serviced regularly, there is no reason to think similarly priced units will not have similar performance and longevity. I have had brand name units fail after 5 years and unbranded units still going strong after 15 years.

Lots cheap plastic parts in the cheaper aircons that easily break.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

You must have an inverter.

Don't take it personally.