October reopening?

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Im on the east coast waiting to make the jump......drop all the "hoops" and Im booking a flight

I've been waiting for 10 months now and I think we may just need to bite the bullet and go for Phuket. Summer is winding down and time is of the essence.

16 minutes ago, allane said:

If I had B 1000 for every re-opening plan and every travel bubble that some fool has announced, I would be able to take a very nice trip somewhere, at least if I could find a country that admits arrivals from Thailand.  And, if I had another B 1000 for every one of these plans and travel bubbles  that has come to nothing, I would be able to live like a king while I was there.

Indeed, I don't trust them one bit. Phuket did happen however so there's at least movement in the right direction (for me).

there is still phuket and samui sandboxes. After 2 weeks you can travel by bus to bangkok and onwards to anywhere.

Or do ASQ in bangkok/pattaya area, but it's being locked in as room and is more expensive, than ALQ's.

I think on special visa you can stay up to 9 months. Or better sort out some other one, even marriage visa

Edited by internationalism
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

there is still phuket and samui sandboxes. After 2 weeks you can travel by bus to bangkok and onwards to anywhere.

Or do ASQ in bangkok/pattaya area.

I think on special visa you can stay up to 9 months. Or better sort out some other one, even marriage visa

I could wait until October 1st but beyond that I will indeed just go for Phuket. I was going to get a METV but I think those are on hold for now.

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

yeah as I said I don't see them doing this either but I haven't heard anything official one way or the other. 

You're supposed to forget about what was said. The person saying it did so as the last words left his mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would expect the opposite to opening the country.

There is a risk, that even sandboxes would called off temporarily. Hundreds infected on phuket in fresh markers within the lasy few days. 

The other planned sandboxes are not taking off. It was pattaya, and I think also Hua Hin.

This wave will last to the end of year. 

Plan for you booster in the usa, with that travel would be easier and you won't have to worry about booster in thailand - that is problematic till the next year.

and a yearly good private insurance with minimum $400k cover inpatient

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot see them doing away with the quarantine entirely.

There is already proof that being vaccinated and having a negative covid 19 test before arrival is not enough. Look at how many have tested positive after arriving in Phuket.

They might be able to lower the quarantine to 7 days for those that are vaccinated.

I'm trying to get to CM so you think they may do a 7 day ASQ in CM? I could see that also. Talking to GF now and she agrees 100% we're going to get quarantined.

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I just actually decided to Google my own question and found this: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-still-planned-to-fully-reopen-on-october-15-despite-covid-19-uptick.

“We cannot wait for a time when everyone is fully vaccinated with 2 shots to open the country or for when the world is free of the virus. We must be ready to live with some risk and just try to keep it at a manageable level, and let people go back to being able to earn a living.”

So it's October 15th. He sounds serious about the reality facing Thailand but I have 0 trust in those people.

this article is from 2.07, rather archives, than the current mood

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Thailand isn't actually closed, so this is mostly about quarantine. As vaccines have been proven NOT to provide sufficient levels of protection against getting infected and spreading that infection, I would expect that quarantine is here to stay in the foreseeable future. This is mostly to guard against importing yet another new variant.

Another aspect is what someone who manages to come to Thailand will find once leaving quarantine. A more or less locked down country with a collapsing medical system, like now, or an improved situation? Who knows at this point, waves come and go!

Indeed, Thailand isn't closed. It is just "not locked down" in a "lockdown", which people choose to observe, or not. For anyone who lives here in comfort, it's tolerable, as one knows how to have goods (food) delivered, (or one can take the risk of shopping at a supermarket). If one lives in a condo that permits its outdoor facilities to be utilised, then this also helps with daily life, and keeping fit. Alternatively, one can pound the pavements for an hour or so a day, to build up to those 10k steps; you're wearing a mask, so the vehicular exhaust pollution is mitigated. At all times wearing a mask is mandatory outside, or inside a public space, but in confined spaces, such as taxis, or public transport, it's best to double mask. Many people have been tested and found to be positive, (more have not been tested), but if you're fully vaccinated, and you're unlucky enough to get covid, your chances of serious infection are less likely, and your symptoms are probably manageable at home, in self-isolation. Just make sure your residence has proper protocols for looking after you, (with food and water deliveries, and safe waste disposal).

What's not to like? Come on in, the water's lovely! 

• Confused 1

I do think at some point they will bite the bullet and open up, cannot stay like this for the forsseable, it's utter madness. It may not be October but i can see it opening up by the end of the year, let's not forget the gov won't really care less how many Thai's die.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm trying to get to CM so you think they may do a 7 day ASQ in CM? I could see that also. Talking to GF now and she agrees 100% we're going to get quarantined.

There are no international flights arriving in Chiang Mai at this time. That means only arriving in Bangkok or Phuket is possible at this time. There is also the Samui sandbox with flights transiting through Bangkok  to there.

• Like 1