Surge Protection - Electrical

Formaleins

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but there seems to have been a massive reorder of the forums and I have no idea where the old Electrical forum has disappeared to!

I have been having a few problems with my electrical mains supply - (It keeps getting cut off randomly) and when the power is restored it seems to give the system a bit of a blast to the point where I have had three TV's blown, (Backlight LED's and PSU fried) and now two PC's, (looks like fried RAM and a fried CPU) 

Obviously EGAT are not going to pay for the repairs so I have to bite the bullet again. What I was hoping for is can anyone give me some solid advice as to a decent surge protector that would prevent these devices getting destroyed?

I would like to protect the rntire system from the Consumer Unit covering the entire house, but most of the problems have ocurred in one particular room, so even a good brand 4 output power strip would be better than nothing.

It might be something to do with the way the house is wired but one room and its sockets are particularly prone to blowing devices - Any good soul out there that has suffered and found the answer, be very pleased to hear from you. (I bought a power strip many years ago that claimed to do everything, surge protection, earth fault detection etc. but it was just a piece of junk that did nothing - so if anyone has some knowledge of a product that works, please let me know)

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, rodknock said:

a power strip is only an extension cord.

you need to get a real surge protector.

Hence the reason for the post.....practical suggestions would be a help. It would be nice to protect everything as it enters the Consumer Unit, but as a minimum, some sort of protection for one room that maybe needs 4-6 3 pin outlets would do.

Edited by Formaleins

36 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Charlie, where is the Electrical Forum? I can find Malaysia Singapore  Extra Forums and a million other rooms but I cannot find Electrical or Computers? Thanks

Scroll down the main page to here.

image.png.b4ec5b98eb837fc4dbeb990170a98371.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

Thanks for that, it might just ne OK for the one room, I have used a lot of things from Belkin and the quality used to be pretty good (relatively speaking)

It would be nice to get something that I could put between my <deleted> 100 Amp Chang Breaker and my consumer unit, but most of the stuff I can find online here in Thailand is either DC ir 3 Phase, a couple are designed to fit into the consumer unit but I can never find anything that fits the rails on my Square D Consumer unit.

Edited by Formaleins

58 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Obviously EGAT are not going to pay for the repairs so I have to bite the bullet again. What I was hoping for is can anyone give me some solid advice as to a decent surge protector that would prevent these devices getting destroyed?

You got house insurance?

They paid up for a few appliances for me that fried on a lightening strike,

Just now, sungod said:

You got house insurance?

They paid up for a few appliances for me that fried on a lightening strike,

I nearly bought insurance, but never got round to it, that is a very good suggestion. I think it is about time that EGAT got into the 21st Century and started letting people know when they are going to mess with thew supply - it would be a good start, then start fining the retards that connect 500 Amp welders to the grid and fry everyone's supply. Problem here is the idea of "RESPONSIBILITY" is negated by Karma and what will be will be. When these so called adults with a  5 year old mentality realise actions have consequences (maybe financially) then things might get better.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

I bought a power strip many years ago that claimed to do everything, surge protection, earth fault detection etc. but it was just a piece of junk that did nothing - so if anyone has some knowledge of a product that works, please let me know

I don't have knowledge of how these products work but maybe worth a look:
https://powerconnexshop.com/
If you see something you like you can try searching for it on Lazada or Shopee.

6 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

I don't have knowledge of how these products work but maybe worth a look:
https://powerconnexshop.com/
If you see something you like you can try searching for it on Lazada or Shopee.

I woula love to get something from Lazada, but most of their products look like they could not handle a 3 Amp load let alone a surge from an electrical fault, most of their junk is Chinese trash that you really would not want to even plug into your wall sockets unless you were trying to burn the building down and claim on insurance!

Edited by Formaleins
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I woula love to get something from Lazada, but most of their products look like they could not handle a 3 Amp load let alone a surge from an electrical fault, most of their junk is Chinese trash that you really would not want to even plug into your wall sockets unless you were trying to burn the building down and claim on insurance!

Then don't love it ! If you have been relying on cheap extension lead products alone then .......

2 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

I meant you could locate a product at powerconnexshop.com that looked ok then search Shopee and Lazada for a better deal. For example this one looks ok currently on sale for ฿988 but I've never purchased any of their products although I'm in the market for a decent surge suppressor too:

Product Details

Model: PXC5PHTSS-TS04
    Rating voltage: 250VAC   50/60Hz
    Rating current: 16A
    Max. Power: 3,680W
    Surge: 600 Joules, 10kA
    Power Cord: 1.5mm2 x 3m
    Protection: IP20

https://powerconnexshop.com/product/pxc5phtss-ts04/

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=pxc5phtss-ts04

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=PXC5PHTSS-TS04

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/power-strips/power-connex/power-bar-4-sockets-with-surge-protection-master-switch-overload-protection-pxc5phtss-ts04-p054085/#tab-specs

Thanks for that!

If you want to install in your Square-D CU you are pretty will limited to units from Square-D.

There are plenty of DIN units on Lazada that you can put in a small DIN box between your Chang and the CU. 

The bigger the protection current the better, I have some of these 80kA units https://www.lazada.co.th/products/b80-1p-40ka-80ka-275v-ac-spd-house-surge-protector-arrester-i2542971276-s9045743223.html you need to install two L-E and N-E. Some would also add one L-N.

These chaps are intended to snub lightning induced surges and having them installed is a must for anyone here with any sort of technology.

But, since you are seeing the damage occuring after a power interuption I'm not completly convinced they will help much. It might be an idea to add a switch-on delay that waits a few seconds after the power returns before connecting your load. We wait 2 minutes after the power comes back before switching back and stopping the genset.

This is a pretty clever one https://www.lazada.co.th/products/63a-top-input-230v-din-rail-adjustable-over-under-voltage-protective-device-protector-current-limit-protection-voltmeter-kwh-i1876430137-s5838234072.html

• Like 2

Here is slimline surge protector if you are stuck for space.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001750310350.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7005647adYQBxx&algo_pvid=09ab7af3-803f-4303-ac78-f09165d69b56&algo_exp_id=09ab7af3-803f-4303-ac78-f09165d69b56-53&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000017427370870%22%7D

There are too many variables here. Only way you can fix is by isolating  each possible problem.

1. Dodgy thai wiring.

2. You are close to  dodgy Transformer.

3. Old style circuit breaker with heavy AMP breakers.

4. Try to isolate room by room.

I have had to sort out my own problems with dodgy wiring in a new house. Thailand full of back yard sparkys, non of which are qualified.

16293423813671488051670914249603.jpg

Edited by DUNROAMIN
picture

If the problem is in one particular location whereas other locations are not affected, I suggest that you conduct a full check on your wiring and components at the affected location to identify the cause which could be anything from loose connections to harmonics build-up.  It is better to identify, fix, and treat the cause, rather than deal with the damage it creates.

Once you’ve sorted out the wiring, you might think of putting expensive electronic items behind an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). I have my gaming PC and OLED TV behind one. If there’s a power cut, the lead-acid battery in the UPS continues to provide power for a short while, letting you shut a computer down properly. I think they’re also a lot better than a simple surge protector in stopping power fluctuations reaching the equipment. They’re not too expensive, and not hard to find.

You could build the best, smallest and cheapest voltage protector by a few electronics components. if you/friend have some knowledge of electronics. And place it in body of a switched extension cord. Each socket could have own individual protector. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Those extension cord surge protectors, do they work without an earth?  I ask because my condo doesn't have an earth to the sockets, there is one to the fuse board, but not past it.

The device leads the overflow of voltage to neutral.

The device leads the overflow of voltage to neutral.

If you have a lot of power peaks eventually your surge protector could break and it doent work anymore then.

Inside is a varistor (volt depending resistor) and when it works it gets hot.

For higher peaks like lightning there should be a gastube working.

IF you have a working earth (it is connected, but is it connected all the way to the ground rod?) in your fuse board you can already start there with a surge protector device. 

Like this: 

Over Voltage Surge Protection AC 230V

At least above 325 volt as that is the normal power, effective is 230 volt

The windows show a red flag when its broke. T2 is type 2 which you use inside house.

And then for electronic equipment you use type 3, should be on your extension cords WITH surge protector.

• Like 1