COVID-19: Thailand reports another daily record of 312 new coronavirus deaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Government must invest in second-generation vaccines or fall behind again, official says

Officials inside the Ministry of Public Health are petitioning the Prayut Chan-ocha administration and the Minister of Public Health to invest in second-generation vaccines for 2022.

Officials have grown increasingly concerned in the previous weeks that Thailand is playing a catchup game in its acquisition of Covid-19 vaccines even as the government goes ahead with purchases of “first-generation” vaccines – which may be obsolete by as early as mid next year.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/31405/government-must-invest-in-second-generation-vaccines-or-fall-behind-again-official-says/

They blamed the lack of vaccine orders because they did not foresee the delta variant last time, lame excuse as the alpha variant was already hitting the world and far more virulent than the original strain. Now they have absolutely no excuse for ordering extra for boosters and continued vaccinations, more so than many other countries because of the Sinovac issue.

• Like 2

Phuket marks 43 new local infections

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 43 new local infections on the island yesterday (Aug 17), bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 2,082.

The report posted last night recorded 22 new cases of people suspected of being infected with COVID-19 after testing positive by antigen test kits (ATKs)

According to the PPHO COVID report for yesterday, 799 people were under medical care or supervision, an increase of five from the day before.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-43-new-local-infections-81092.php

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Not only did nobody listen, but there were tons of people here (and elsewhere) who went out of their way to deny logic and go after us for being "doomsayers"

So the "doomsayers" have been proved right?  Not really something to gloat about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A man decided to take his wife to Phra Khanong police station in Bangkok as the woman developed breathing difficulties after two hospitals reportedly refused to give them Covid-19 tests.

The incident happened on Tuesday evening.

Krisanapaisan Srisodchumpawat, a witness and a man who contacted the Erawan Medical Centre for the couple, told media that the couple had visited two hospitals for a Covid-19 test but as the hospitals refused to give them one, the couple decided to return to their home in Udomsuk.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004836

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office is reporting 1,206 new cases today and 9 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (278), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (189), and Si Racha (364). There are now 20,285 patients in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1427786163390013440

Further details:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/18/chonburi-reports-1206-new-covid-19-cases-with-9-deaths-1623-people-recovered/

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Again with your spin. The poster was not gloating. 

Apologies.  I wasn't accusing the poster directly.  It was meant for the few who do seem to take delight in being proved right and denigrating those who disagree.  Of course, it's the nature of the Forum and the back and forth is what makes it interesting!

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I seem to remember some "doomsayers" (not my word!) were predicting a far worse doomsday scenario, on a par with India.  At least we can be grateful they were wrong about that.

You do realize that Thailand have a much higher positivity rate than India right? At this point nobody can really tell if Thailand will end up worse than India or not. Theres not enough data yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I seem to remember some "doomsayers" (not my word!) were predicting a far worse doomsday scenario, on a par with India.  At least we can be grateful they were wrong about that.

Wow, just wow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

I really can't remember anyone taking delight in what is happening. If calling out ignoring the facts, being completly illogical or week after week saying that the pandemic has peaked as denigration then I plead guilty Your Honour.

I wasn't accusing you (or anyone) of delighting in the horrible Covid situation, anything but.  I was just saying that some seem to delight in denigrating others by being "proved right".  And I never said that it had peaked a few weeks ago; I expressed hope that it had, and was denigrated for being optimistic!  Anyway, maybe it has now finally peaked - do you think it has?

With the ATK testing results included the Infections are very close to 30,000 cases.

This means the measures the Government have had in place for a Month now, are totally ineffective. The virus is continuing on almost the exact same trajectory as it was at the start of the latest surge in early July.

There really has to be a serious rethink on the issue of Lockdowns, and travel restrictions in the absence of any serious vaccine quantities. 

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

My spin? Here is the posters quote:

"Not only did nobody listen, but there were tons of people here (and elsewhere) who went out of their way to deny logic and go after us for being "doomsayers"

I see no gloating there. If the authorities had listened to the advice of medical experts at the time and the posters here who were singing from the same tune then this situation would not have been as disastrous as it is now. 

Pointing that out is appropriate and much the same as an earlier post that pointed out not making the same mistakes in vaccine purchase.

I never wrote anything about "spin". The post you're quoting within your post, is not from me.

TIMELINE: Pattaya area informs residents who visited places in relation to the most recent Chonburi confirmed Covid –19 cases

List of places here:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/18/timeline-pattaya-area-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-the-most-recent-chonburi-confirmed-covid-19-cases-5/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I really can't remember anyone taking delight in what is happening. If calling out ignoring the facts, being completly illogical or week after week saying that the pandemic has peaked as denigration then I plead guilty Your Honour.

I accept your plea.  Thanks.

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Anyway, maybe it has now finally peaked - do you think it has?

I would say so. The overall number of new daily cases is falling even in the likes of Bangkok yesterday I believe. 
The trend in the number of deaths should follow in next couple of weeks and with the consistent numbers on vaccinations now things may look very different in the next few months ready for high season/ songran to enable opening up 

Im sure that’s their goal now to ease those pain on the suffering Thais most affected by these restrictions. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Though its name suggests it has closer links with communities upcountry, the Rural Doctors Society (RDS) is now a hero to Bangkokians after it stepped up to battle the raging outbreak in the capital.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rds-the-group-of-doctors-fighting-covid-and-corruption-in-thailand/

Yes they do seem to have been working tirelessly and helping even though there are covid problems within their own provinces, well done to them:

"RDS still mainly comprises doctors based in community hospitals. The organization has built a strong reputation for upholding justice, equality and good governance while battling corruption and standing by people in times of crisis."

• Like 1