Thailand Starts Factory Worker Vaccine Drive to Protect Exports

webfact

bl.jpg

Photographer: Nicholas Axelrod/Bloomberg

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

● Program aims to prevent supply-chain disruptions amid outbreak

● Workers to be tested, vaccinated, shuttled from home to plants

Thailand has launched a pilot program to test, vaccinate and isolate factory workers to limit Covid-related disruptions to its export-driven manufacturing industry, one of the few bright spots in an economy crushed by the virus. 

The “Factory Sandbox” initiative aims to protect 3 million jobs and support manufacturers who contribute about 700 billion baht ($21 billion) to gross domestic product, according to a government statement this week. The plan will focus on plants that employ at least 500 people, and will “build confidence for both Thai and foreign investors at a time when supply chains in rival countries are shutting down,” the statement said. 

Thai exports in the second quarter surged 27.5% from a year earlier, with growth in manufacturing one of the few economic bright spots amid weak retail spending, “diminishing effectiveness” of interest-rate cuts and the void of tourism, according to a report by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-18/thailand-starts-factory-sandbox-to-protect-21-billion-sector

Bloomberg.jpg

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand has launched a pilot program to test, vaccinate and isolate factory workers to limit Covid-related disruptions

Good job its only a test program as it could end up doing the exact opposite if they find too many cases and close all the plants down and cripple exports further

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Majority of the companies that are suppliers to the one I work at have already vaccinated all staff and are running bubble and seal with staff now living on premises.

Hotel We’re spending a couple of nights in has around 300 “Bubble & Seal” factory workers staying for the next 4 weeks.

Seems to be very well run with people split into approx 15 groups & given times when they can go to the factory (buses pick them up) & eat (food is delivered from outside) etc… Rest of the time they seem to be confined to their rooms 

Hotel did offer to move us but we’re only using it  as somewhere to lay our heads (TBH there’s not really anything else to do at the moment). between moving stuff down from Bangkok to the new condo & getting our 2nd vaccination.

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Good job its only a test program as it could end up doing the exact opposite if they find too many cases and close all the plants down and cripple exports further

it never stopped

it is impossible to slow delta spreading until everyone is fully vaccinated with effective vaccines, these factories break every covid rule in the book - seems they are exempt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

it never stopped

it is impossible to slow delta spreading until everyone is fully vaccinated with effective vaccines, these factories break every covid rule in the book - seems they are exempt

What rules are those ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has launched a pilot program to test, vaccinate and isolate factory workers to limit Covid-related disruptions to its export-driven manufacturing industry, one of the few bright spots in an economy crushed by the virus.

About a year late, same as many things.

• Like 1

It’s a bit too late. Majority of the factories here have 10-20% workers that got covid. Factories had to buy sinopharm vaccines for their workers. Testing for hundreds of workers is causing some small factories to just close down all together for now. There is no subsidies to help factories as well. 

And yes if export goes down, the country is going to be hit very hard. That’s the only thing left that is keeping the country running with money coming in.

Government did too little too late buying over priced Sinovac vaccines and dragging their feet on every issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Lordy. "to protect exports". Seriously? Don't these people understand how this virus is transmitted.

Spoiler alert, it can't be sent UPS or FedEx...

If workers are sick and factory need to stop manufacturing goods, there will be no exports. To protect the exports from being stopped, workers need to be vaccinated. 

• Like 1

Thai Government Launches “Factory Sandbox” Scheme to Protect 3 Million Jobs

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

7070a792714ec40daac3f97fe5a00146_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s government has launched a pilot "Factory Sandbox" program to test, vaccinate and isolate factory workers, with the aim of limiting COVID-related disruptions to Thailand’s important export-driven manufacturing sector.

According to a government statement, this initiative aims to protect 3 million jobs and supports manufacturers who contribute about 700 billion baht to the gross domestic product. The plan will focus on plants which employ at least 500 people and will build confidence among both Thai and foreign investors at a time when supply chains in rival countries are shutting down.

The “sandbox” program will focus on large factories manufacturing cars, electronics, food and medical equipment for export, in provinces which are key production hubs. Eligible factories must employ at least 500 workers, a field hospital or isolation facility and shuttle services for employees.

All workers will also be tested for the coronavirus and those who test positive will be isolated, while cohorts will be inoculated, with subsequent tests done every seven days. Sixty factories in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Sakhon and Chonburi, with a combined workforce of 138,000, will participate in the initial phase.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

I know lets vaccinate 20 year old workers where Covid is already spreading to "help them create antibodies" that their young bodies can create without a vaccine. Oh but that means defocusing (killing) the old and sick - especially outside the deep dark yellow zones (oops I mean Red) where we have not sent, and now will not send vaccines quickly enough and in sufficient quantities.

Usually this kind of sacrificing parts of the population for the benefit of (the few) GDP is found in dictatorships like CCP, North Korea, and others - so why in Thailand - a country where Thainess includes the highest respect for the old? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

I know lets vaccinate 20 year old workers where Covid is already spreading to "help them create antibodies" that their young bodies can create without a vaccine. Oh but that means defocusing (killing) the old and sick - especially outside the deep dark yellow zones (oops I mean Red) where we have not sent, and now will not send vaccines quickly enough and in sufficient quantities.

Usually this kind of sacrificing parts of the population for the benefit of (the few) GDP is found in dictatorships like CCP, North Korea, and others - so why in Thailand - a country where Thainess includes the highest respect for the old? 

You are probably able to social distance without any problems, whereas due to the nature of their work a factory worker cannot, so it makes sense to vaccinate those who are at risk.

Do you really want to begrudge a vaccine to the workers that process/manufacture the food and goods that sustain your lifestyle?

Why do you think that you are more important than a factory worker?

What vital service do you provide to the public?

As for your remarks on dictatorships, what an absolutely pathetic argument, you really have no idea.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

You are probably able to social distance without any problems, whereas due to the nature of their work a factory worker cannot, so it makes sense to vaccinate those who are at risk.

Do you really want to begrudge a vaccine to the workers that process/manufacture the food and goods that sustain your lifestyle?

Why do you think that you are more important than a factory worker?

What vital service do you provide to the public?

As for your remarks on dictatorships, what an absolutely pathetic argument, you really have no idea.

Interesting that I have no idea when these are my opinions. That is quite rude of you. Happy to have a different opinion though - on exchanging lives for GDP. Finally I do not think I am more important than another human, I am happy to go short on some things in my life for the vaccination of the old and sick so they do not die. I value old people - do you? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

Interesting that I have no idea when these are my opinions. That is quite rude of you. Happy to have a different opinion though - on exchanging lives for GDP. Finally I do not think I am more important than another human, I am happy to go short on some things in my life for the vaccination of the old and sick so they do not die. I value old people - do you? 

Interesting that I have no idea when these are my opinions.

So if I believe in fairies then I must be right because it is my opinion.

Just because you have an opinion does not mean that you have an idea.

Take your rant for instance, you seem to think that prioritizing vaccines equates to a dictatorship.

Are you really so soft as to believe that.

Hint: check the dictionary for the meaning of dictatorship.

As for your other point, yes I do care for the old people, I myself am elderly.

However, I also care for the workers who put their lives lives on the line every day to put food on your table.

Most elders do not have to work in close proximity to other workers, nor do they have to cram onto public transport to get them to and from their work.

Also the vaccine has been available for the elderly for some time now.

The only reason that I can see that you would begrudge vaccines would be if you hadn't received yours and that you are throwing your toys out of the pram.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Interesting that I have no idea when these are my opinions.

So if I believe in fairies then I must be right because it is my opinion.

Just because you have an opinion does not mean that you have an idea.

Take your rant for instance, you seem to think that prioritizing vaccines equates to a dictatorship.

Are you really so soft as to believe that.

Hint: check the dictionary for the meaning of dictatorship.

As for your other point, yes I do care for the old people, I myself am elderly.

However, I also care for the workers who put their lives lives on the line every day to put food on your table.

Most elders do not have to work in close proximity to other workers, nor do they have to cram onto public transport to get them to and from their work.

Also the vaccine has been available for the elderly for some time now.

The only reason that I can see that you would begrudge vaccines would be if you hadn't received yours and that you are throwing your toys out of the pram.

Goodness I lost the will to live halfway through that verbiage. So I reply the same way Blah, Blah zzzzz Blah

Toyota have already closed 3 Plants in Thailand citing " chip shortages " and there is a report with BBC Online that vehicle Manufacture may be reduced by all Marques Globally by as much as 40 % due to the " chip shortage " for this Year.

This could possibly mean that some of the Plants here are unfortunately going to be shuttered, with some large lay Offs

Attaching 'sandbox' or 'bubble' to any business activities in Thailand merely highlights the woeful lack of vaccines and the desire by the fully vaccinated elite to maintain their gross profit levels. Plague Island has been a failure as it just acts as triage to the rest of Thailand. The fully vaccinated elite (FVE) should turn their efforts to Vaccine procurement not profit margins and the sooner the better

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 1