Is Thailand Post safe and secured to used.?

Majulah

I'm foreigner retired in Thailand for already more than 15 years.

Thai Post refused to deliver my package to me for no apparent reason. Instead sent my package back to Bangkok Mail Center and then back to international airport outbound mail center. Subsequently my package was returned to Bangkok mail center again and remained there without transiting my package to Hatyai Mail Center for final delivery until now.

Months ago my EMS package containing a solid gold watch to be deliver to buyer was lost on the way to Bangkok out bound mail center for international shipping. Tracking show my EMS package remained in the outbound mail center for more than 2 months. I was told the lost of this particular package containing the solid gold watch is only cover by Post Office for 20 thousand bahts maximum as there were no available insurance coverage to purchase during packaging and shipping in Thai Post Office initially. 

Last month Thai Post came to me with a 7 thousand bahts offer to settle the lost of my package in shipping.

Till date i have not accepted Thai Post office offer as the solid gold watch was sold to my buyer for more than 31,000 bahts including EMS shipping. 

Wondering local Thais are treated the same way as foreigners in Thailand.

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 4.04.05 PM.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

In my experience I would never send anything valuable by Thai post.

Chance of it reaching it's destination are pretty slim.

Another thing to watch out for is the import duty if sent from an outside country.

Possibly the reason your gold watch went to where ever.

Mind boggles on why one would do such a thing as gold dealers are in Thailand everywhere.

Sent some Adidis T shirts for the kids, missus sadly left the price tags on from here in Aus, package was opened in destination town post office and had to pay 50% import duty on the retail tag prices.

That was before delivery would be completed.

Lucky we had a phone number on the package otherwise I'm guessing they would have gone to the "where ever" address as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have experienced about a 5% loss rate with Thai Post over the past 30 years.  First class, EMS, registered, domestic or international, parcels or letters seem to make no difference.  I now use the private logistics carriers which have sprung up in the last 5 years.

48 minutes ago, mikesil said:

I have experienced about a 5% loss rate with Thai Post over the past 30 years.  First class, EMS, registered, domestic or international, parcels or letters seem to make no difference.  I now use the private logistics carriers which have sprung up in the last 5 years.

I tried dhl and for the same size parcel that Thailand post charged 1300 baht

Dhl charge 14000 baht

What other private logistics are there?

Edited by kwak250
Spalinz
  • Like 1

As an experiment, I sent 15 letters in sealed envelopes to my father in the USA, one per month, non-registered. Nothing inside but the writing on paper. He received 8 out of the 15. I sent 15 postcards, not in sealed envelopes, and he received all 15. It seems sometimes the curiosity about what is inside a sealed envelope or package can get the best of people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

I quit using the post years ago. I sent two letters to my GF from USA with a 1000 baht included. Never got there.

It is well known fact around the world that you should not send money in this way. There was also no tracking? If so can you be sure that your GF doesn't have 2000 Baht now? 

• Like 1

got three packages, containing small, low value items, in transit since January,

Sent from UK, Belgium and China.

contents 5, 25 and 2 $, so took the risk of not paying 50$ or so courier from Europe, and order again. 

Having said that, EMS with dox and ID card to Europe arrived in a few days????????

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

If so can you be sure that your GF doesn't have 2000 Baht now? 

He said he sent it years ago, so if she did get it she would have spent it already. So no, the GF couldn't possibly have the 2000 baht now.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne

2 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

He said he sent it years ago, so if she did get it she would have spent it already. So no, the GF doesn't have the 2000 baht now.

I don't know if she is a good girl or not. Some not so honest ones might simply say that they didn't get it to get more money. 

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

Sent some Adidis T shirts for the kids, missus sadly left the price tags on from here in Aus, package was opened in destination town post office and had to pay 50% import duty on the retail tag prices.

That was before delivery would be completed.

Lucky we had a phone number on the package otherwise I'm guessing they would have gone to the "where ever" address as well.

Import duty being charged is perfectly normal, it's just that with TP not every item is intercepted and examined. 

I don't understand your point about "the phone number on the package that saved it from going astray", did the package not have a delivery address?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

In my experience I would never send anything valuable by Thai post.

Chance of it reaching it's destination are pretty slim.

My experience with registered/EMS is exactly the opposite.  What experiences have you had that make you conclude that "the chances of delivery by TP is pretty slim".    I take it you must have lost a few items, yes?

2 hours ago, kg1947 said:

Pattaya area :  1/ Christmas card sent from Canada with cash USD 10.- ( ten American dollars ) as test , not registered : GONE.

2/ Bracelet with semi precious stones USD 35.- from USA , not registered  ....   also : GONE . 

Just 2 small matters -- but will never use post office regular service again.  use : Courier and pay more for valuable items  ..... 

Your test results say just as much about Canada Post and USPS as the "Pattaya area"!

Why would anyone "test"  non-registered/tracked postal services with cash and when the cash was lost follow it up by sending "jewellery" the same way?  To not register the first item is folly, to do it a second time is just ridiculous.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

As an experiment, I sent 15 letters in sealed envelopes to my father in the USA, one per month, non-registered. Nothing inside but the writing on paper. He received 8 out of the 15. I sent 15 postcards, not in sealed envelopes, and he received all 15. It seems sometimes the curiosity about what is inside a sealed envelope or package can get the best of people.

Another good example of the awful USPS!

• Like 1