Broken Ankle

Meat Pie 47

So I had a broken ankle which according to the doctors is healed.

But now I do have a lot of fluid in my lower leg and it is painful

walking.So is that normal? I do some exorcises recommended

by the surgeon but don't over do it, so why have the pain in my calves ?

you need physiotherapist and some treatments from him. Possible manual lymph drainage, bandaging or special socks. Insurance should cover some post operative care. But even going private should be only some 500b per treatment (should last around 1h). 

Keep your feet up on pillows when in bed, on a stool on front of your computer chair or even on a desk.

Any movement of feet, as done on air plane, will push lymph and blood up the leg. Get stationary bike for exercising. Pain in your calf might be from build up of fluid. Keep your leg cool, wet cold towels, don't expose to sun.

Get some calcium pills for your bones

Edited by internationalism

If you have calf pain, may need to exclude a DVT.  Where exactly is the fluid collection - around the ankle or  the whole lower leg?

Calf pain and swelling of the lower leg would definitely indicate need to rule out DVT (which in turn could have occurred due to immobility while the fracture was healing)

Needs a doppler ultrasound of the veins, there are also some blood tests that can help determine if a clot is present

If it is not a DVT then might just be due to tightening of muscles and tendons while you were immobile - but rule out DVT before undertaking physio on that assumption

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

But now I do have a lot of fluid in my lower leg and it is painful

walking.So is that normal?

I had a broken ankle, it hurt for about 4-5 years after the cast was off.

The hard lump on my ankle never went away.

Not sure what you mean by 'fluid'.

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had a broken ankle, it hurt for about 4-5 years after the cast was off.

The hard lump on my ankle never went away.

Not sure what you mean by 'fluid'.

He seems to be describing calf pain and a swollen (edematous leg). This is not normal and could indicate a DVT which can occur at any time but especially after a period of immobility.  

On 8/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, Sheryl said:

He seems to be describing calf pain and a swollen (edematous leg). This is not normal and could indicate a DVT which can occur at any time but especially after a period of immobility.  

Sheryl,I had a ultra sound done on my leg which cleared me of any blood clots you would think if I had DVT they would have noticed it. But yes the symptoms are similar to DVT,

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Sheryl,I had a ultra sound done on my leg which cleared me of any blood clots you would think if I had DVT they would have noticed it. But yes the symptoms are similar to DVT,

When was it done relative to this pain?

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

When was it done relative to this pain?

Ultra sound done this Monday after I visited the surgery again having pain after I took of my cast (no don't call it a cast) Just like a heavy boot which I was wearing for about 6 weeks. This Monday was the 22nd of August. As far as i know DVT is caused by a blood clots in the lower leg but I was cleared of that.

So how can I catch DVT without having a blood clots? Just because of immobility of the leg for a long time? I do all the exercises I am told to do and elevate my leg most of the day. ( Lucky I don't need to work anymore )

1 minute ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Ultra sound done this Monday after I visited the surgery again having pain after I took of my cast (no don't call it a cast) Just like a heavy boot which I was wearing for about 6 weeks. This Monday was the 22nd of August. As far as i know DVT is caused by a blood clots in the lower leg but I was cleared of that.

So how can I catch DVT without having a blood clots? Just because of immobility of the leg for a long time? I do all the exercises I am told to do and elevate my leg most of the day. ( Lucky I don't need to work anymore )

DVT is a blood clot.

While ultrasound will usually show it, sometimes it does not and further tests e.g. venogram or MRI is necessary. See  https://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/signs-and-symptoms-of-blood-clots/how_dvt_is_diagnosed/

The other possibility is that this is all due to tightening of tendons and muscle atrophy while the leg was immobilized. However the treatment for that (stretching exercises and maybe physical therapy) would be contraindicated if a DVT is present as it could dislodge the clot. So it is important to exclude DVT first.

Did they do a d-dimer test? (blood test)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

DVT is a blood clot.

While ultrasound will usually show it, sometimes it does not and further tests e.g. venogram or MRI is necessary. See  https://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/signs-and-symptoms-of-blood-clots/how_dvt_is_diagnosed/

The other possibility is that this is all due to tightening of tendons and muscle atrophy while the leg was immobilized. However the treatment for that (stretching exercises and maybe physical therapy) would be contraindicated if a DVT is present as it could dislodge the clot. So it is important to exclude DVT first.

Did they do a d-dimer test? (blood test)

yes they did

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If D-dimer was also negative this along with negative ultrasound pretty well excludes DVT.

In which case PT may be the answer.

I am not familiar with what PT means but I guess I can find out. I very much appreciate your help here

3 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Tell me, are compression socks any good ?

They will help with the swelling, as will elevating your feet when sitting down.

Where exactly is the fluid, is it near the ankle or is it the whole leg?