Finally (made up my mind) to change to Retirement from Marriage extension. Documents Required.

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx for your lengthy reply!

Question please: Were these foreigners that were married and got refused to come back in, married in Thailand and have the KR3 (The Paper with the Flowers)?

If so, then very strange they got refused to come back in!

Also they must be o.k. with all the other covid 19 requirements as insurances tests etc.... so many possible reasons those (if existing ) ones where not full o.k. with that maybe 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Also they must be o.k. with all the other covid 19 requirements as insurances tests etc.... so many possible reasons those (if existing ) ones where not full o.k. with that maybe 

Good Point!!!

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Why on earth would anyone want to tie up 800k THB of the own money thus allowing immigration to dictate what you can, and more importantly cannot do with YOUR OWN MONEY? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Getting a marriage extension is no big deal. Thousands of us do every year and, in my experience longer you do it, the easier it gets, even without the embassy letter.

For your marriage ext you must also put 400K , however not that long, as you can take it out after the in consideration time is ended with the O.K. stamp , so a profit .

For the ret. ext. situation you can also see the 800K as a reserve 800K , as saved  money for emergency happenings , example replacing a insurance , 5 months you have to keep up to  800K, and 7 months you can use 400K , and then top up again to 800K for next ret ext. 

Different 2 systems  

PS : agreed with your quote :

"in my experience longer you do it, the easier it gets, even without the embassy letter."

As also  i sit no longer than 5 minutes on desk 8 to deliver my doc. for the Ret.Ext.  as already 8 years doing it , some knows the drill and we all become experts...????

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

A couple of advantages for a retirement over a marriage visa is that 400K less the wife can run off with, and you won't have the extra agro of suddenly finding yourself with the wrong visa.

Another advantage of having a retirement visa is you can just walk out the door and go and live on the beach, without any visa worries.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Why on earth would anyone want to tie up 800k THB of the own money thus allowing immigration to dictate what you can, and more importantly cannot do with YOUR OWN MONEY? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Good Point, but I always had the money for the Marriage extension in a Fixed Deposit account (and it was more money then required) anyway and I just topped it up to the 800k requirement for the Retirement Extension!

I also have no intention of ever using that money (maybe in a real emergency where money from abroad takes too long to arrive (but you have TransferWise now)

:wai:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

A couple of advantages for a retirement over a marriage visa is that 400K less the wife can run off with, and you won't have the extra agro of suddenly finding yourself with the wrong visa.

Another advantage of having a retirement visa is you can just walk out the door and go and live on the beach, without any visa worries.

And in case not liking Thailand anymore or urgent departure for whatever reasons  ....your home country  ship might be burned after leaving home country .....but you have a 800 000 Thb  rescue boat to make a fresh start ....????..." not stranded "

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachcomber said:

If my wife decided to run off with the money (she access to all my accounts within Thailand anyway) she would have done so a long time ago, so because the extra $$ in the (Fixed) account, sincerely doubt it! But understand your point.

Question: If I walked out the door and go and live on the the beach, is it oke to take the wife with me? ????????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx for your lengthy reply!

Question please: Were these foreigners that were married and got refused to come back in, married in Thailand and have the KR3 (The Paper with the Flowers)?

If so, then very strange they got refused to come back in!

I can only go off recollection here on TVF a long while back, so one would have to search to find the post, so I couldn't say 100% for certain.

The above said I do know of a farang who was on a retirement extension and married to a Thai with his marriage registered at the local Amphur who couldn't get in until they started allowing people in and quarantining for 14 days.

I know this much, 1st thing he was change his extension to a marriage extension, again can only go off what I have read and heard, have no personal experience on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, david555 said:

I would be surprised it is or would be different for those married to Thai but on ret.ext. , as legally married is married .... of course for those only Budha marriage or just living together would be different ... 

I think UBJ could clear this up as always 

Please see above reply to MCJM.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Please see above reply to MCJM.

Ihave read it , that is why i doubt that ...legally married is for both a legal status , has no differance about the ext.status !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Paperwork about he same i know (with exception not needing wifes stuff, pictures etc)
Was not aware about a home visit when doing the retirement extension ? Thought it was issued same day ?

In Jomtien there is no home visit for Ret Ext (although possibly there could be for your very first application--don't know), also paperwork is straight forward and at least half of a Marriage Ext. Ret ext is not issued same day, but you pick up the next day, and of course you have to front up after 3 months with proof of the 800k being untouched.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx @BritTim appreciated

I hope it will be easy, the marriage extension was never really that difficult, but those 30 day (or sometimes even longer) under consideration day waits I never liked!

The money is in a Fixed Deposit account since a very long time, but it always has been a bit more then the 400k (which was required for the Marriage extension)  and I just topped it up to meet the Retirement extension.  Will also leave it in there, because of those Seasoning Requirements.

7 hours ago, MJCM said:

If my wife decided to run off with the money (she access to all my accounts within Thailand anyway) she would have done so a long time ago, so because the extra $$ in the (Fixed) account, sincerely doubt it! But understand your point.

Question: If I walked out the door and go and live on the the beach, is it oke to take the wife with me? ????????

Some guys are in miserable situations or been burned badly already, whether here or in farang land somewhere. Never mind that.  Transition to a retirement extension is simple, and you'll never look back. 

Same you though, never thought the Marriage Extension process was that taxing.  Did it for 4 or 5 years.  Used to wonder about the basic administrative and organization acumen of the people complaining the loudest about it.  Wasn't that difficult. ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

I use the money in the Bank option. (total of 800K will be in the bank a total of 4 months when going to Immigration)

It is 2 months before and 3 months after for 800k.  Plus you need to keep 400K the rest of the year.

21 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Even the retirement extension and quite a bit of paperwork and they still visit your home.

Depends where you are, Trat do this and want photos.IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.66c1089c3e8103875d71e1e21b059dd2.JPG

And OP your marriage extension will finish the day you apply, and I have never heard of your wife needing to be present when changing, no doubt joe will correct me if i'm wrong.

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you ask me, the marriage extension has always had more weight than the retirement extension, so perhaps you should reconsider what you are contemplating.

Do you remember all of those expats on retirement extensions outside of Thailand truing to get back in, well those with marriage extensions did get in, with those on retirement extensions having to wait for a hell of a long time, and a lot of them married to Thai's.

You did mention it's not that much of a hassle to do the paperwork, and I agree as I have everything save in a folder and just press x 2 for each PDF when it comes time to get the marriage extension, which includes the same photos and map, then a 20 minute drive to the bank for the letter, the Amphur around the corner for an updated confirmation that I am still married, while waiting for the bank letter, and the same small photo of self which they usually give you plenty of copies at the local photo shop. 

The next day will take the hour 20 drive to immigration, however stop at the bank branch their and withdrawal 1,000 baht and get my book updated and then next door get two copies of that page to put with the other copies of the bank book pages.

The 30 day wait has never come into my mind, I just go back when they tell me and collect, that is their job, I won't bend to their laziness, first time I cam here they convinced the wife to put me onto a retirement visa because the process was easier as we were told, well what if I was outside of the country when all those farangs on retirement extensions couldn't get back in, that would be gut wrenching being away from the family for so long, not to mention the expensive rent that I would have to be paying.

Choice is yours of course.  

I agree, as long as I get a permission to stay stamp good until I get my extension stamp then there is no stress at all in my mind concerning a petty 30 day wait. IO is 40 minutes away even out here in the sticks along the Mekong. We go into the Provence capital once or twice a month anyway.

Like you said, everything I need is scanned into the laptop with my own scan printer. I print one selectively collated. Again full collated. Two stacks, one with a sticky note stating Originals. The IO stamps every page with a signatures stamp. Then goes through page by page pointing where each signs.

My life here is not so so complicated that I have to worry about silly little things like waiting 30 days or even 90 day reporting.

I am very glad that we don't have to fly and stay in Bangkok anymore. It's well worth doing all of the minor bank stuff to avoid what's really otherwise a stressful hassle. I hated living/working in NYC and Atlanta so Bangkok definitely has nothing I want.

The bank takes the 100฿ bank fee out of my account for the two letters and they do a final bank book counter update that shows the transaction.That's all IO is looking for. No deposit is needed. I plan my annual bank statement to receive the day before my chosen application date so I can print a copy. But I have been getting it early and we just go the next day. The kr2 is already been picked up, scanned, and print one. Insert in stacks

Maybe other people's lifestyle is more complicated but I came to Thailand to retire and live a worry free life in my wife's Mekong village. It didn't take me long to quit stressing out about Immigration.  Although I have enough monthly income for a retirement extension, we choose marriage. That pleases my wife for many reasons. It is like a status symbol to some of her friends and family.

The only downside to marriage extensions is that the passport pages do get used up quicker but getting another passport is just a postal EMS mail out, thankfully. My flying anywhere else days are over so only IO extension stamps in my next passports.

• Like 2

I doubt it was your plan but thanks for starting the interesting debate. I turn 50 next year and was planning on switching to retirement. The main reasons for me were the paperwork. Granted, it isn't that onerous but it is annoying.

The photos are a pain and unlike some places (according to some comments), in Bangkok you can't use the same ones. I once printed out the pictures from the year before by accident and they called me up in the consideration period and told me to bring in new ones.

My wife is still registered at her mum's house, so I have to go and pick up her blue book from her mother each year. They've never asked for the original book but you never know.

The updated Kor For 22 each time requires my going to Onnut and queueing up the day before. 

My wife has quite a high powered job and it can be difficult finding a day when she is free. She has to shuffle meetings around to get a free day.

I have done it 6 or 7 times now and the last few years have been flawless. I agree it isn't difficult but it is still a pain for no real advantage beyond having an extra 400k. I've never had a home visit. I have enough to just leave 800k in the bank and leave it until we eventually leave Thailand. We own our condo and eventually we are hoping to live in Europe/UK/elsewhere for 6 months and 6 months in Thailand each. Then it will just be spending money.

1 hour ago, jrward42 said:

I once printed out the pictures from the year before by accident and they called me up in the consideration period and told me to bring in new ones.

I showed new pictures this year, and the female IO said "Oh you have new fridge''   :omfg: eagle eyed and long memories they have. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jrward42 said:

My wife is still registered at her mum's house, so I have to go and pick up her blue book from her mother each year.

I hope her mum is in the same province otherwise no 30baht hospital fee but pay in full. just saying. 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:41 AM, david555 said:

i guess the 7 day's could be in case of divorcing the wife (or she divorcing husband ...) ?

yes i thought about this problem but having a son here i believe that if we ever split i could apply for a visa staying here to take care is that correct..also must admit all my extensions gone pretty well a few hours out of each year not a problem out io here is pretty good ..

On 8/22/2021 at 5:59 AM, 4MyEgo said:

If you ask me, the marriage extension has always had more weight than the retirement extension, so perhaps you should reconsider what you are contemplating.

Do you remember all of those expats on retirement extensions outside of Thailand truing to get back in, well those with marriage extensions did get in, with those on retirement extensions having to wait for a hell of a long time, and a lot of them married to Thai's.

Yes, to my mind the marriage extension will always have more weight than a retirement extension, and that is one example. Also there was a period I think (and I'm a bit hazy on this) that visas from abroad and /or re-entry permits based on marriage required just Covid insurance, but the retirement ones required that plus the 400/40 k  (for the COE) ?

Anyway I am married but went for the retirement extension due to the reduced documentation and the fact that there is no under consideration period, and to do away with the hassle of home visits, witnesses etc 

Also for the original poster - I don't believe that changing to a retirement extension is a one-way trip. I think you can change back to a marriage extension at a subsequent renewal anniversary if that is advantageous to you. The IO may not like it as it is extra work, but I think it is permitted. So if that is the case, there seems to be nothing to lose.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

yes i thought about this problem but having a son here i believe that if we ever split i could apply for a visa staying here to take care is that correct..also must admit all my extensions gone pretty well a few hours out of each year not a problem out io here is pretty good ..

Of course there are many different situations and options ,just a few compared (and some i said even in  joking way too ????...)

And everybody have to take out the option he see most favorable for his case .

Every coin has a flip side , so do advantages have also disadvantages ....

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Is that a wise move?

I have always felt that the marriage extension was a bit more secure and had higher "priorities" than the retirement extension. 

The insurance requirement is kind of creeping up on the retirement extension, while marriage extension get a free pass.

Also retirement extension holders had a hard time entering Thailand during Covid and again with, depending on age, some pricy insurance requirements.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Depends where you are, Trat do this and want photos.IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.66c1089c3e8103875d71e1e21b059dd2.JPG

And OP your marriage extension will finish the day you apply, and I have never heard of your wife needing to be present when changing, no doubt joe will correct me if i'm wrong.

I got this version from Hua Hin Immigration, which is far better for me. Can simply transfer 65,000 baht each month and show them the bank book.

235588094_1005976356641152_6186004229312842195_n.jpg

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is that a wise?

I have always felt that the marriage extension was a bit more secure and had higher "priorities" than the retirement extension. 

The insurance requirement is kind of creeping up on the retirement extension, while marriage extension get a free pass.

Also retirement extension holders had a hard time entering Thailand during Covid and again with, depending on age, some pricy insurance requirements.

I always can change back ????

Ooh sorry Mr. Immigration this year the money in the bank is not enough (my wife spend too much on shoes 555555555555)

Fortunately we have great insurance with great coverage (NO LIMIT) from abroad thus no issues there!

About the hard time entering during Covid, read this post and read what my wife had to say about it ????

\

6 hours ago, jrward42 said:

I doubt it was your plan but thanks for starting the interesting debate. I

May I ask why you think so it's not my plan?

It most certainly wasn't my wife's plan because before she married me she hadn't a clue about Marriage Visa or the "Visa Khon Kae (elderly people Visa)" visa as she names the Retirement Visa ????

Edited by MJCM