Best route/visa to return to Thailand from Laos

6 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

never thought i'd see the day of you leaving Laos!

I have zero desire to leave - I'm very happy here.  But if I can't do my radio hobby, then I will go where I am left in peace to enjoy that hobby.  To date, I've been left alone, until the local police chief spotted my radio antennas and started asking questions! ????

• Like 1

Thanks UbonJoe!  Entering via NK is a much-preferred option, since I will also need to ship some goods to NK (not necessarily at the same time).

Anyway, I'm just sounding this all out, in case my ham radio licence is suspended/cancelled in Laos.  (I still have my Thai ham radio licence, so no problems there...)

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm sure I'll get my passport returned.  But I'm not sure if they will let me continue my radio hobby, which is 100% within the laws of the country.

Sad to hear that, I've been following your reports from Laos with interest. I hope this situation can be resolved without too much hassle - best of luck!

Entering Thailand should be relatively straightforward at this point if needed.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

There are no ALQ hotels in Nong Khai according to the list here:

It is not a normal ALQ hotel. It would be one set up especially for those returning from Laos. The embassy would inform him of where he would have to stay.

• Like 1

I live just down the road from you Simon, I can just imagine the uncontrollable glee and joy of the local much overworked Village plod thinking he has caught this dangerous international capitalist spymaster in his backyard ????. In all seriousness, now that VTE is involved and clearing things up I imagine you will be fine and your passport returned pronto. Maybe invite them for a round of Beer Lao ????. Sok Dee !  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have zero desire to leave - I'm very happy here.  But if I can't do my radio hobby, then I will go where I am left in peace to enjoy that hobby.  To date, I've been left alone, until the local police chief spotted my radio antennas and started asking questions! ????

Then better do a rethink about Thailand, too. I have a friend in Nakhon Chaisi who is also an enthusiast. Same thing happened to him, although he is still up and running last I heard.  Lots of inquiries about his antenna array. I'm guessing that amateur radio is still legal in Thailand, too. I know there is an association that at least used to have meetings in Bangkok until a few years ago. But I don't think any of these countries, with the way their governments are moving, are going to be happy with foreigners and their radios. I think there was a very important person in Thailand who was also into amateur radio but his passing may have removed some silent support from the cause.

3 hours ago, mahtin said:

Would have thought that with the internet they would lose interest in radio.

Shortwave 'ham' radio is indeed a dying hobby all over the world, with the exception being Japan, where it's a very popular hobby for both young and old. But with Twitter, internet etc, many people scratch their heads and wonder what the attraction is of this hobby.  Actually for me, I have little interest in chatting with other hams!  I use my licence and radio equipment to do antenna and propagation analysis projects.

I was also investigated when I had a ham licence in Myanmar.  Thailand has a very active radio club (RAST), but still limits operation to certain bands and using only approved transceivers.  Anyway, I got my passport back and will hide it next time if (when) the police call round!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Maybe Udon Thani.

None there either.  Crossing from Laos at Mukdahan Friendship Bridge gives the option of ALQ there, and at Aranyaphet you can use Prachinburi ALQ.  I have not heard of any such arrangements at Nong Khai.

• Like 1

Well that sucks Simon, reading you reports on Laos as well as a friend who spent some time there years ago suggesting I'd like it, I wanted to go and some some time there (months or a year at least)  assuming we are ever allowed back in post Covid.

It was interesting you mentioned you had never been bothered by any official and now all you are getting is bother  ????

Hope it all works out for you without too much issue, all the best and good luck

1 hour ago, BumGun said:

Well that sucks Simon, reading you reports on Laos as well as a friend who spent some time there years ago suggesting I'd like it, I wanted to go and some some time there (months or a year at least)  assuming we are ever allowed back in post Covid.

It was interesting you mentioned you had never been bothered by any official and now all you are getting is bother  ????

Hope it all works out for you without too much issue, all the best and good luck

Bumgun, this 'bother' was all because the local police bigwig drove past my house and saw all my radio antennas, (which had been there for 2 years+). So he sends his lads round to check and finds my radio transmitter etc. So now he thinks that he has just discovered a 'spy' and sends round another 12(!) police to take photos of my wi-fi routers (huh?).

Finally, after some phone calls to the 'right' people in Vientiane, they tell him to stop being a plonker, and to leave me alone, because everything is all legitimate. I guess he must be feeling rather sad (and silly) by now ????

But it does show that a peaceful life can be disturbed by others, even if you're doing nothing illegally.  For a few days, I was thinking where a nice place in Thailand might be my destination.  I miss the sea (a little), and so Samui, Koh Tao, Koh were in my mind.  Maybe next time ????

• Haha 1