Thai domestic car sales drop 11.6% y/y in July

Jonathan Fairfield

2021-08-25T035434Z_1_LYNXMPEH7O03E_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-AUTOS.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A general view during the media day of the 41st Bangkok International Motor Show after the Thai government eased measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bangkok, Thailand July 14, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Domestic car sales in Thailand declined 11.62% in July from a year earlier to 52,442 vehicles, the lowest level in seven months, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) said on Wednesday.

Sales were hurt by COVID-19 lockdown measures, tighter auto loans and delayed production of some car models, the FTI said.

In June, sales rose 15.07% year-on-year.

(Reporting by Kitiphong Thaichareon; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-08-25

a badly written piece, is it refering to new or used cars? if new cars this is hardly a surprise as new car production/availability, worldwide, is being adversely effected by the lack of supply of microchips. if used car sales then the reasons should be investigated. 

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

a badly written piece, is it refering to new or used cars? if new cars this is hardly a surprise as new car production/availability, worldwide, is being adversely effected by the lack of supply of microchips. if used car sales then the reasons should be investigated. 

I expect if there are fewer new cars coming onto the market, that would impact on the availability of used ones. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

One would assume this is new car sales, where records of sales and data are available... 

Second hand sales would be a complete mystery.

In America, I purchased both new and used vehicles during my working career.  They cost less (and still do) than comparable vehicles in Thailand.  Furthermore, we had far more to choose from in terms of models and their options.

24 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

In America, I purchased both new and used vehicles during my working career.  They cost less (and still do) than comparable vehicles in Thailand.  Furthermore, we had far more to choose from in terms of models and their options.

Yes, the benefits of a free and competitive market, neither of which we enjoy here.

There are many products in Thailand where you are stuck with a choice of either

• poor quality local/Chinese option or
  • exorbitantly priced/taxed imported product.

That's why I always travel with empty cases on my visits back home.

For some things, e.g clothes, I can buy the option (ii) back home but at much more sensible pricing.

Yet TAT still keep pushing Thailand as a 'shopping mecca', I really don't get it !

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

Yes, the benefits of a free and competitive market, neither of which we enjoy here.

There are many products in Thailand where you are stuck with a choice of either

• poor quality local/Chinese option or
  • exorbitantly priced/taxed imported product.

That's why I always travel with empty cases on my visits back home.

For some things, e.g clothes, I can buy the option (ii) back home but at much more sensible pricing.

Yet TAT still keep pushing Thailand as a 'shopping mecca', I really don't get it !

Many don't believe you can buy things like that outside Thailand. 

The only ones who believe it have actually been to EU/UK/USA.

Wife's really keenok puts the satngs in a jar with those silly 70-11 stamps, but unfortunately as a lowly tourist volunteer I don't have parking for dozens of limos.Hoping to export drugs to the okkers once covid over I've a hitshot biz partner lined up with plenty experience but barred from Okkerdom.