Killer cops’ case sheds light on rampant police abuse of suspects, reform unlikely – HRW

snoop1130

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You can pretty much guarantee this scumbag will not be convicted of anything and such awful behaviour will continue.

I think you're wrong. The spotlight is on him so he'll be for the high jump. It is all the others in police stations throughout the country who know their 'sidelines' will continue.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In an interview, televised live on Thai PBS World on Friday, Mr. Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher on Thailand at Human Rights Watch (HRW), said police torture of drug suspects in custody is “very common”.

Next: police filing a defamation lawsuit against HRW and its lawyer, and case hurriedly abandoned to be mentioned anywhere for the fear of further lawsuit launches.

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The whole thing sums the Thai cops up very neatly actually. Thieves, bullies, murderers, extortionists and liars who only seek to "serve and protect" their own interests.

It has been this way as long as I can recall, and I have never seen any real effort to change the status quo. You can pretty much guarantee this scumbag will not be convicted of anything and such awful behaviour will continue.

You can trace the origins of this police behaviour back to the events of 1946, after which lying, scapegoating and greed became the acceptable norm in Thailand.

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Sure, there is a need, but not for reform. They need to be purged. And the Military, and Education too.

But will it happen beyond the usual lip service and grandstanding?

No government I have observed over the years has ever shown any real intention in reining in these institutions. Either they can't do it, are too cowardly, or they (the institutions) perform exactly as intended by design. I think it's a mix. 

And if there is ever a PM brave enough to really tackle these problems, then he better have his very own private security detail unaffiliated with police/military.

Never change, Part of Thai culture, too many brown envelopes from the plod on the beat to the man at the top. 

Guys ..... please stop the 'Bean Counting' - krub.

This sad place (for its people only - cause I like to live here) is well beyond 'REFORMS'.
That may have been an option long time ago. That window has closed.
Thus, ask the: French, Russians ++++++++.
Let rivers of 'Justice' run in the streets. It's a very simple, fast and efficient remedy  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobandyson said:

If Prayuth really wants to stamp out corruption then surely he should be rewarding or praising the junior officer for whistle blowing. It would encourage more to come out.

They should put up rewards as high as the guys got for going after sports cars for tips on police corruption. That would set them on each other and maybe clean up a bit. 

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

“Let’s not forget that, as the prime minister of Thailand, General Prayut is directly in charge of the Royal Thai Police. Seven years have passed, he has done nothing. Do you think he’s going to do it now? No!” he added.

Sums the man up perfectly !

Pathetic.

Police in Thailand will never change while the country is run by the military. Has any solder or commander been brought  to justice for the slaughter of unarmed civilians and nurses trying to help the wounded? NO! So why hold police accountable. The only reason this came to light was a dispute over the share out of the tea money, now those left behind will get a bigger share.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Nip said:

The main problem is almost every government department is controlled by the RTP. So you ask the NACC or PACC to investigate. They are controlled by the RTP. So you involve the Ministry of Justice and Rights and Liberties and yes they too are headed by the RTP. So the Anti Money Laundering Office will sort it. Eh no its also run by .... all together now the RTP. My guess now they are deciding how best to deal with this. Accidental death? Suicide? Death from a mystery illness? He could escape and follow the same Ratline as Yingluk? In police terms this slug is way down the line and you can be sure there are at least 10 more above him who gave taken their cut of his criminality. The way the sword of silence works is that everybody gets a slice of the pie to assure their silence. He got caught so he's more dead than alive at the moment. 

And maybe in getting caught, he will spill his guts.

There will be those further up the Chain that may wish him dead right now.

..the young guy was a 'suspect'...even RTP have set procedures to follow..trouble is they lack the investigative skills and just want a quick confession..all about 'look at me'..'look how good i am...'look at my conviction stats'....RIP the young guy, regardless of what or who he was.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The whole thing sums the Thai cops up very neatly actually. Thieves, bullies, murderers, extortionists and liars who only seek to "serve and protect" their own interests.

It has been this way as long as I can recall, and I have never seen any real effort to change the status quo. You can pretty much guarantee this scumbag will not be convicted of anything and such awful behaviour will continue.

same applies to current government acting ministers..... and add to your list dug dealers  555

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

But as we know, the bottleneck is always on top of the bottle .........

And since they have the most to lose, they will fight the hardest and do literally anything to keep the status quo and keep the gravy train rolling. So I don’t expect anything to change - not much, anyway - any time soon. 

• Like 2

This post is probably going to cause a few rants but here it goes!

One way of squashing the corruption is to provide the police the one thing they crave that is money!

The only attraction or benefit to join the RTP is that you can engage in unlawful practices and make in some cases a lot of money.

Provide a very good pay structure and family  health benefits, pension etc, (I know that the pay could never match what could be made unlawfully).

Once you crate a job that's worth 'looking after' the attitude of some will change, raise the standard of entry, throughout the initial training promote informing on your colleagues with the promise of protection and suitable punishment for the offenders.

Several things could be made a condition of employment for example, transparency of Bank accounts any officer regardless of rank convicted of wrong doing his immediate supervisor will receive the same punishment.

It would take time but eventually there would be some improvement, of course TIT it ain't gonna happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

And maybe in getting caught, he will spill his guts.

There will be those further up the Chain that may wish him dead right now.

So who is he gonna talk to? You can be sure all of those ahead of him are supping from the same trough and whatever he says is already known by them. They may be dumb but their not dumber. Follow the FN money if they dare. This will go away just like all the other slugs exposed in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

This post is probably going to cause a few rants but here it goes!

One way of squashing the corruption is to provide the police the one thing they crave that is money!

The only attraction or benefit to join the RTP is that you can engage in unlawful practices and make in some cases a lot of money.

Provide a very good pay structure and family  health benefits, pension etc, (I know that the pay could never match what could be made unlawfully).

Once you crate a job that's worth 'looking after' the attitude of some will change, raise the standard of entry, throughout the initial training promote informing on your colleagues with the promise of protection and suitable punishment for the offenders.

Several things could be made a condition of employment for example, transparency of Bank accounts any officer regardless of rank convicted of wrong doing his immediate supervisor will receive the same punishment.

It would take time but eventually there would be some improvement, of course TIT it ain't gonna happen!

I guess I'll be the first to "rant".

Do you truly believe that a higher salary will stamp out corruption?

Human kind will always try to accumulate more wealth, no matter how rich they are. No matter if you're a postman or a CEO, it's never enough.

And clever people will always be experts in hiding their cash trail through relatives, proxies or foreign banks with dodgy systems.

I would love for your vision to happen. But as you wrote yourself "TIT"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

I guess I'll be the first to "rant".

Do you truly believe that a higher salary will stamp out corruption?

Human kind will always try to accumulate more wealth, no matter how rich they are. No matter if you're a postman or a CEO, it's never enough.

And clever people will always be experts in hiding their cash trail through relatives, proxies or foreign banks with dodgy systems.

I would love for your vision to happen. But as you wrote yourself "TIT"

Not just higher salary but also the other conditions I mention may go someway to eventually making thing slightly better.

But again TIT and it will probably never happen for the next few generations, if at all.

I feel  sorry for the junior officer who  took and later released this video.    Im sure he will  come to a sticky end, and we will never know, or be told about it....         how does that old saying go,,,something like..."all it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing.:.. "     He  should of course be  very richly rewarded and promoted, without his name ever being released, publicly or privately.

4 hours ago, BKK Chopin said:

Guys ..... please stop the 'Bean Counting' - krub.

This sad place (for its people only - cause I like to live here) is well beyond 'REFORMS'.
That may have been an option long time ago. That window has closed.
Thus, ask the: French, Russians ++++++++.
Let rivers of 'Justice' run in the streets. It's a very simple, fast and efficient remedy  ????

I have rather come round to that opinion. If they don't change (and they won't) it is inevitable.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Come on guys, we know it's just another day in the LOS, wai, reinstatement to a lessor position because of how much of a great cop he was in the force and how he "saved" thousands of kids from these drug dealers.

He didn't mean to kill the drug dealer, just scare him while trying to extract information, and just because he forgot how long a person could breath for with plastic bags over his head shouldn't make him a bad person,  he killed the drug dealer, and because he tried to cover the murder with a death certificate showing the death as a different cause and he ran away because he panicked and was inexperienced, shouldn't make him a bad person, we are all humans and he had a very stressful job and we should accept that mistakes happen, suffice to say if he had killed more of them, think how much safer Thailand would be.

He deserved to live in such a mansion and drive 29 luxury cars so that he can destress, 10,000 baht fine and court costs should do it.

His demotion to a police teaching instructor on how to treat suspected drug dealers with plastic bags will send a clear message to drug dealers into the future thus, making Thailand a safer place to live for our kids.

Spot on. Love it.

• Like 1