Arrest warrant check in Thailand for 30000+ baht! Scam or Real?

PATTTAYA

I had a Police Clearance Letter (with Fingerprint Scan) done for 100 baht with Municipal Letter to Police Forensics. 

PCL is part of Foreigner Alien Registration/Yellow House Book process…..

“Reputable” Lawyer quoted me 50k baht with three month wait……

Surely a fair assumption though that any Arrest Warrant would have already been flagged by Immigration Computer, at last transaction, with resultant Police Visit to your Registered Address. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Have your friend go to the police station with a big brown envelope just in case there is a warrant for him I’m sure he or the police will look the other way TIT

To avoid plastic bags, have an extra brown envelope hidden outside.

Lots of advice to go visit the local police and check. If he went to the police and he did have a warrant, wouldn't they just arrest him on the spot? I'm wondering if the OP's 'friend' is outside Thailand and wants to come in, and is possibly concerned he may be detained at the airport upon arrival. If he's inside Thailand maybe he needs a visa renewal or something and is afraid to go. We need more details...and some popcorn.

You could always get a friend  who is inside Thailand to go to Pattaya immigration with a copy of his passport and 2-3000 baht cash and ask a friendly officer to run a check on him!

They need money and will take it from anywhere these days.

• Like 1

I work a lot with the big law firms. Depending on the seniority of the lawyer working on your case, it’s not uncommon that an hour of their time is charged at 15-30k Baht. So depending on the law firm you contacted (local Thai firm vs. international law firm), the 30k doesn’t sound unreasonable.

Whether they are able to find this out or not I cannot answer. I use them for corporate law, not criminal law. If it’s a reputable law firm and they say they can find out, then it’s possible. No reason to not trust them. 

Edited by cocoonclub

On 8/27/2021 at 10:18 AM, PATTTAYA said:

(asking for a friend)

Is it possible to find out if you have an outstanding arrest warrant in Thailand?

It's always asking for a friend because he is illiterate, lives in a poor house and can't afford a computer, lack in technological skills to ask question by himself in a forum. ????

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

It's always asking for a friend because he is illiterate, lives in a poor house and can't afford a computer, lack in technological skills to ask question by himself in a forum. ????

It was his friends budgie actually. And he is illiterate, lives in a small house with bars, can't afford a computer and even if he could, he can't type!

• Haha 1

Depending on what the perceived crime was and whether it was a private prosecution or state prosecution, will impact whether it is left to 'expire' simply because of lack of interest to pursue it.

Knowing more about the alleged crime will provide an insight into the statute's that apply, and whether there's any tolling etc.

I.e an initial warrant for arrest could have a statute of 1-10yr's, or even longer for more serious crimes, the usual process once apprehending the fugitive is detaining, processing, trial, prison, deported. 

Fortunately most of this occurs behind closed doors to save the perp the embarrassment of it all being on international news, unless you've <deleted> of the main news presenters lol

If you'd be so kind to fill us in on what the perp has been accused of, and whether its a state or private prosecution then we could have some additional input. 

I can even ask my lawyer if he can have a check the next time he's in the court (the terminal to check is in there, it takes all of two minutes), as for immigration, that's much simpler... though what you need to have concern over, is whether the perp has been flagged on the Thai Interpol System, which they do routinely with expats that are of concern, as that is shared internationally, and even a comment about 'drugs', will have you flagged every-time you fly into a nation (as an example), that can only be checked at Immigration HQ Bangkok, and is not shared to outside IO offices, also the RTP (Royal Thai Police) don't have access to information on foreigners, their systems just show Green, Amber, Red alerts and with the division of IO they need to contact when Foreigners are involved in a alleged crime.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

I work a lot with the big law firms. Depending on the seniority of the lawyer working on your case, it’s not uncommon that an hour of their time is charged at 15-30k Baht. So depending on the law firm you contacted (local Thai firm vs. international law firm), the 30k doesn’t sound unreasonable.

Whether they are able to find this out or not I cannot answer. I use them for corporate law, not criminal law. If it’s a reputable law firm and they say they can find out, then it’s possible. No reason to not trust them. 

1000 USD an hour for a Thai lawyer in a Thailand located law firm?  this is not NYC,