Sharp table top oven - Temperature problems.

Golden Triangle

We bought a Sharp EO 70K table top oven about 8 weeks ago, we are experiencing problems reaching & maintaining the required cooking temperature, yesterday was the first time we have actually used it to bake some biscuits ( cookies ) the rest of the time it has just been used for grilling stuff mainly.

The Mrs came home with a thermometer that sits ( or hangs ) inside the oven and tells you what the internal temperature is, she also bought a digital probe that I have used to confirm the reading of the in oven type.

Anyway, the recipe yesterday required the oven to be set to 190 C, the best the oven could reach was 150 C, I confirmed this by just opening the door a tiny fraction and placing the long probe into the oven.

This morning the Mrs decided to have another go, she set the temperature initially at the maximum of 250 C, the oven reached 250 according to her ( I was still in me scratcher ) she turned it down to 190 C but the temperature dropped right back to 150 C, so from that I assume one or two dodgy components, either the thermostat or temperature sensor - or both ????

I have checked Sharp's customer care online and they state that most items are covered by their 1 year warranty plus we took out the retailer's additional extended warranty, not being an electrician I'm just looking for confirmation of my diagnosis or have I missed anything ?? Thanks in advance ????

20210827_193857.jpg

20210827_200548.jpg

Sounds like a dodgy thermostat.

But keep on at the Customer Service folk. I bought a chest freezer 18 months ago, retailer's warranty = 1 month, manufacturer's = 2 years.

Ice started building up around the lid so via Line they arranged for an 'engineer' to come fit a new seal, which he did three weeks later but with no change.

He came a week later and said 'Oh you have the dial on no. 3, it should be on 5' (out of 6). No change.

Back to Customer Service who, at my insistence sent a replacement freezer, with a full 2 year warranty.

Keep on at them, they are not used to it. 

I believe that these small table top ovens do have a reputation for not being particularly accurate with regards to temperature control.

Remember that they are what they are, cheap appliances.

We have one (not Sharp).

With ours, I've long believed that the temperature control is nothing more than a high and low temperature setting.

If I turn the temperature knob all the way up from the off position I can hear a click at around about the halfway point. This tells me that it is now in hot mode.

If it doesn't click then the oven or the grill won't get hot and the elements won't glow red 

• Like 1

If you set the oven at 190C and it only reaches 150C then maybe turn the dial up to 200C and see where the actual interior temp sits at and adjust accordingly. 

These glorified toaster ovens have always been hit or miss in regards to temp for me, and thats what Ive always done. Just adjust the temp knob until I get the desired interior temp and ignore what it actually says on the temp dial. 

• Like 1

I have the same oven and it's been great. The thermostat does have a pretty wide swing. 

I always use the fan, and normally use both top & bottom elements.

If you have any luck with customer service let me know, I would like a more accurate thermostat....

I also have one of these Table Top Ovens ( not Sharp ) for Baking Bread.

The Thermostat and also the timer are not good to say the least, but by using one of those stand in Thermometers as pictured I can get the Temperature I need by setting the Dial to that as opposed to what the dial says.

My main issue with this thing is not being able to get a fairly low temp for a slow roast.

But hey ! The thing is what it is , and I can live with it.

Bought the same oven July 1. Same problem, temp per Taylor oven thermometer about 70C below what is set on the oven dial. No ‘oven spring’ when baking bread and everything takes about twice as long to bake. Before contacting customer service I plugged my Habotest Socket Tester into the outlet adjacent to where the oven was plugged. Hmmm, 185-195VAC. The oven is specced for 220-240VAC. So I’m probably running the oven under ‘brownout’ conditions.

Also it’s possible some of these ovens may have ‘second-choice’ components due to COVID-induced parts shortages.

Might be worth checking your AC voltage to see if you are having similar issues.

• Like 1

Mine gets up to temp without any issue. I back a bread without and roast pork and chicken without any issue, it will also run low enough to slow-cook ribs for three-four hours....

If you're tying to use one of the "infrared" temperature guns, the one I have do not give a good reading inside the oven.

2079154603_oven01.jpg.6ffa647ea71e2478978fe918392960d7.jpg

911426715_oven02.jpg.12e32d419e8d557ea08db01ab37e5279.jpg

Edited by Yellowtail
added pics