Thais urged to adopt “Smart Control and Living with COVID-19” concept

Jonathan Fairfield

Why doesn't the PM and his government come up with a decent plan to eradicate the virus? They did it once. They can do it again.

The fact that they plan to pretty much open the country completely on Wednesday shows that they just don't care how many people here die.

15 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Exactly, people stll paranoid about covid cases are not travelling or going on holiday.

I'm not paranoid about covid cases but I won't be holidaying because a) I can't get into some of the countries I want to go to, b) I don't want to spend nearly 4 weeks in various quarantine hotels and c) an unwillingness to waste £4000+ on these hotel prisons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Well written, but disturbing, as it really hits the nail on the head.

I would venture that people need to weigh what their "leaders" say based on this criterion as we are now told via the political class that restrictions on essential freedoms are necessary in order to keep the fearful citizenry safe and worry-free.

“On some positions,
Cowardice asks the question, ‘Is it safe?
Expedience asks the question, ‘Is it politic?
And Vanity comes along and asks the question ‘Is it popular?
But Conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’
… The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge, moments of great crisis and controversy.”
- Dr Martin Luther King, Jr

If this ever ends, people should ask themselves what will remain for their children to inherit when Constitutional freedoms give way to what is safe, what is politic, and what is popular.  I do know where I stand.

• Sad 1

A post denigrating Chinese vaccine has been removed.

Whilst it may be less effective in certain cases ie Delta strain it is by no means useless.

At the end of the day this is a Thai government sponsored vaccine and the forum and or yourself can get in trouble for comments like this so stop it.

23 hours ago, Stygge said:

Strange. When Sweden said no to hysteria and total lockdown they were basically called irresponsible murderers. A year later and more and more countries are adopting the same view. Without beeing irresponsible murderers, of course.

The difference is that we have had mass vaccinations in between times, which have drastically lowered hospital admissions, and resulted in fewer of those in hospital having to be ventilated.

14 hours ago, smedly said:

you left out the wide deployment of vaccines in your post and the main reason other sensible countries can now relax containment measures, it is widely understood (including government) that Sweden messed up big time and could have done better 

I see you got there before me ...

14 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand dropped the ball and messed up big time were they should have done better - vaccines 

and they are still doing it with the persistant purchase and use of sinovac 

It's better than nothing (just) and they need anything they can get their hands on now ...

Everybody, get what you can into your arms now, and go for the better stuff when it's available ... which won't be too long now by the looks of things ...

On 8/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, DoctorB said:

For those non-Brits baffled by this post - UK covid presentations are accompanied by the mantra "hands, face, space" to remind one of washing, masks and social distancing. When travelling on trains etc the mantra is "see it, say it, sorted" to encourage the reporting of anything unusual and possibly terrorist related. These are the 2 most common examples but the relentless drive to treat the British public as 7 year olds is not limited to these examples. A 10 point plan would be regarded by the UK authorities as way beyond the intellectual capacity of its people.

And that all these years after Blair first said, "Education, education, education.".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

I would venture that people need to weigh what their "leaders" say based on this criterion as we are now told via the political class that restrictions on essential freedoms are necessary in order to keep the fearful citizenry safe and worry-free.

“On some positions,
Cowardice asks the question, ‘Is it safe?
Expedience asks the question, ‘Is it politic?
And Vanity comes along and asks the question ‘Is it popular?
But Conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’
… The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge, moments of great crisis and controversy.”
- Dr Martin Luther King, Jr

If this ever ends, people should ask themselves what will remain for their children to inherit when Constitutional freedoms give way to what is safe, what is politic, and what is popular.  I do know where I stand.

Sorry mate but reading your posts you've come up with the wrong answer to all of those questions ...

4 hours ago, RobU said:

This is a very sensible statement. In the early days  the pandemic pundits were spouting drivel about 'Eradicating Covid'.

Like influenza, it will be around forever constantly mutating.

Like influenza, some mutations will be more dangerous than others.

Like Influenza, some mutations will be more infectious than others.

More infectious is not necessarily more dangerous in fact I understand that the more infectious viruses tend to have milder symptoms.

The vaccine production for Influenza is a well oiled machine, refined over decades identifying the latest mutation and producing the vaccine for it

The same will apply for Covid 

'More infectious is not necessarily more dangerous in fact I understand that the more infectious viruses tend to have milder symptoms.'

Inevitably, or they'd never spread ... waddayknow!

That's why ebola rarely gets out of little pockets in Africa - cos it's so deadly.

I've never taken flu shots, and I've rarely had it. But I will be taking Covid-19 boosters. Lining up shot 3 for December before I (hopefully) head out to Thailand.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 3:20 PM, Stygge said:

Strange. When Sweden said no to hysteria and total lockdown they were basically called irresponsible murderers. A year later and more and more countries are adopting the same view. Without beeing irresponsible murderers, of course.

Sweden has roughly twice the population of each of its 3 Nordic neighbors, Finland, Norway, and Denmark. Yet adjusted for population to date it has 9 times as many deaths as Norway,  4.5 times as many deaths as Finland, and 3.5 times as many deaths as Sweden.

image.png.ae2652676c4ad2440e14e3b76a927e69.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/sweden?country=SWE~DNK~FIN~NOR

But at least its economy did better than its neighbors, right? No, not really.

"Plus, Sweden's economy still shrank 8.6% from April to June of last year — its largest quarterly fall in at least 40 years. By comparison, Denmark's economy shrank 7.4% during that time, Norway's 5.1%, and Finland's just 3.2%."

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-covid-no-lockdown-strategy-failed-higher-death-rate-2021-8

• Like 1

Yes, a short, sharp downfall. After that a strong economy pick up. Now it´s a fear of overheating. The Swedish stockmarket has surpassed Nasdaq by far. Same with the death´s. The majority happened early spring last year. The swedish society was not prepared for the sudden contagion. But they adopted quickly and since then death´s has been on the same low level as comparative countries. Sweden has a much greater immigrant population then neighbouring countries and the death´s mainlly hiit the immigrant population that showed very hard for the swedish authorities to reach with information of protective measures.

But the important conclusion is that the swedish approach was not the catsatrophy many people stated at the time. So many countries with drastic lock downs did worse. And the knowledge that lock downs is not the solution to a pandemic like this now begins to be understood by more countires. You have to learn to live with the virus and take more selective protective measures while have a fast rate o vaccination. Even fully vaccintated we are going to live with this virus for the foreseeable future.