Phuket Sandbox is failing foreign tourists: tourism official

webfact

My friend is still in cnx the whole time getting extension after extension.he does not want to come back here and over the top prices to be paid for airfare and the Quarantine here.so i don,t blame him.The people in phuket go there for 2 weeks then pay 2k for another 14 days in a hotel,not a good idea in my book.but they made their choice like my friend in CNX.I  wait like many when this is over and i will be there,hoping dec or jan 

7 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

The problem is the percentage of vaccinated population in Phuket is no where near the claimed numbers.  They don't include those Thais who are living in Phuket but not registered here to make the percentage looks good.  So long you can't control the spread of the virus in Phuket, no one will come even all the hoops are removed.

vaccinate people does not prevent the spread, if you get a vaccine you can still get Covid and still spread it - you didn't realy understand what a vaccine does do you ? A vaccine prevents you from getting more sick than without a vaccine, it prepares your body for covid so if you get it you have antibodies already prepared to fight it which essentially will reduce the effects of it. 

Also the only reason thailand is empty is the same reason all other global tourist destinations are empty, people (and especially the lower to mid income tourist arrived in Thailand) are out of job, out of savings and the ones with cash have a struggling business and the last thing they are willed to do now is waste money on a holiday, tourism is not only dead in thailand but worldwide anywhere you looking.

This has nothing to do with vaccination rates nor with Thai politics or the Thai gov. its plain and simple a result of a global recession  !

you are as blind as some Thai politicians who cant see that tourists wont come if thailand opens because tourists rather save cash and think about when the next wave and next covid evolution hit economy ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Thail is devoid of tourists because....  ". its plain and simple a result of a global recession"  

Really? You must have talked to people the world over to reach such a conclusion right?

I cancelled my sandbox trip due to the constantly changing guidelines. I was willing to give it a shot and stopover for 2 months on my way to Nepal but cancelled my Thail trip due to the constantly changing guidelines. Hell, I am not even sure if I booked  a Phuket to BKK flight to leave the country the constantly changing rules would make it possible to use. My decision to cancel had NOTHING to do with the, "global recession."

15 hours ago, Andy65 said:

In fact, i am here right now. its better than the quarantine in Bangkok, so i don't complain.  I didn't expect so many shops and restaurants being closed. For tourists, at the moment, why would they come here. Europe is closer, more open, and still summer there. Tourist attractions in Phuket are closed, hard to find restaurants. No alcohol served. So they can stay at their resort and enjoy the beach. At least they could allow to serve drinks in the Hotel for Hotel guests. My opinion: the virus is here in Thailand, the low number of infection coming from outside doesn't justify the q14, 15 or 16 days quarantine anymore. They should open more for travelers, make the quarantine shorter for vaccinated people. Lower the number of tests (total of 4 test within 16 days= 300$) this is a waste tests for those instead of using them for local hotspots. Put more effort in delivering vaccine to the Thai people, this will help. 

Good to hear from someone who is actually there.  Thanks, I think I'd give it a miss, unless it was as an alternative to ASQ in BKK.

11 minutes ago, gim12 said:

Thail is devoid of tourists because....  ". its plain and simple a result of a global recession"  

Really? You must have talked to people the world over to reach such a conclusion right?

I cancelled my sandbox trip due to the constantly changing guidelines. I was willing to give it a shot and stopover for 2 months on my way to Nepal but cancelled my Thail trip due to the constantly changing guidelines. Hell, I am not even sure if I booked  a Phuket to BKK flight to leave the country the constantly changing rules would make it possible to use. My decision to cancel had NOTHING to do with the, "global recession."

in case you missed the point, i don't talk to the world, i just read the news and see how all other tourist destinations are empty - its just simple logic, try it - maybe it works for you too - your personal exp does not matter here, what matters are the millions of people don't come, they don't come to Phuket, and they don't go elsewhere, now guess why - because of regulation changes globally ? or because of a global recession ? i fully understand that you feel more comfortable if you can have someone you can blame, but that doesn't change reality ????

Edited by frankythefinedude
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, thailandheron said:

I dont know what parts of the island you visited but a friend has been there for months and he eats in western food restuarants once or twice everyday , with beer. Some he has to walk past because they are almost full and has to find a quieter one. So he is not the only person enjoying himself. Girlie bars open are easy to find too.

He/she may well be doing that and good on him/her, but it is illegal.  I'd prefer to go on holiday to a place where what I wanted to do was available, without having to worry about plod tapping you on the shoulder at some point and demanding a contribution to the save the MiB fund. 

7 hours ago, Eibot said:

I don't think the numbers are off by a lot. People who don't have a registered housebook here had the possibility for many months to go the the amphur and get a shot. Everything was quite neatly organized. The big difference with Thailand and (most) of our home countries, is that Thais are very willing to get a shot. They go out of there way to get one, as opposed to the west.  

What CAN be a problem, is that a certain % has been vaccinated by Sinovac. We don't know how effective this will be against hospitalization. However, there is only one way to find out. 

"The big difference with Thailand and (most) of our home countries, is that Thais are very willing to get a shot. They go out of there way to get one, as opposed to the west. "

Really!  That's not what I hear from friends and acquaintances in the villages up in Isan.  Many are scared <deleted>less that the vaccine will kill them and refusing to get vaccinated.  I had to bribe my mother in law and even then she wouldn't get it until I'd survived getting mine.  When she finally went to the local hospital, there were 20 from the village of 500+.  The rest refused to go.

Fair to say, that after she survived, some of her family and friends said they would go next time, let's hope that reaction is widespread, but I can tell you, they aren't exactly queuing up to get it, as you have suggested.  

10 hours ago, Pinot said:

Anyone needs a green pass I can get them...500 baht 

Sinovac will keep you off a ventilator. Take any vaccine offered to stay alive. Far from useless. I hate when I read this kind of thing. 

So the front-line staff who have been double dosed with Sinovac yet still contracted Covid and in some cases ended up in ECU or dead is a myth?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The "Smart Checkpoint" land border plan needs to be up and running by October to encourage people to travel.

So what will the "smart checkpoint do" stop the 90% of Thais who haven't had the second jab yet... how will that help improve domestic travel.

Being un-vaccinated has been the downfall of the Sandbox scheme.

International travelers followed all the protocols to come to Thailand.

Unfortunately the locals didn't, which is why the infection rate spiraled and everything remained shut, which has put-off tourists wanting to come and sit around all day with nothing to do.

I'm sure the tourists who came, saw and returned home don't have tales of an idyllic holiday.

it is not "simple logic" to ignore facts that dont conform to what you think  my personal example directly contradicts your reasoning based on what you read- you believe everything on the news or just whst ypu want to? and yet you state your point is logical, thanks for the laugh

2 hours ago, mikosan said:

He/she may well be doing that and good on him/her, but it is illegal.  I'd prefer to go on holiday to a place where what I wanted to do was available, without having to worry about plod tapping you on the shoulder at some point and demanding a contribution to the save the MiB fund. 

I live here a long time and I dont fancy get getting fined over a bottle of beer, 

11 hours ago, Eibot said:

Don't know, on 500k that's not much...

The point being all those who keep saying.. 'focus on serious cases, ICU and ventilators and just open up'.. Have you looked at the stats for serious cases and ventilators.. Have you looked at the hospital occupancy (not isolation the actual hospital) they have risen in direct lockstep with the rises in cases. 

ALL of the data points for Phuket are rising.. And yet the proponents of 'open up let it rip' most of whom have a vested economic interest in that process seem to ignore the fact that Thailands superficially nice medical system is not systemically strong, and without an effort at reduction in all classes of cases liable to collapse under strain. Should Thailands path had gone like India the farang howls of how have they messed it up so bad, would be heard globally. 

Thais understand how fundamentally weak the structural systems, medical care, supply chains of medical supplies, etc etc are here.. Westerners seem to think these things have a resilience like developed countries do. That is a mistake. 

• Like 1

"Thanet Tantiphiriyakij of the Phuket Tourism Business Association as saying that the rise in cases on the island was all internal and nothing to do with foreigners coming in who were all subject to being double vaxxed and having banks of tests."

A failed state - simple as that. Run by seriously stupid clowns to the disadvantage of one and all - expect their own pockets getting lined while you read these lines ......... stay tuned for more of the same! 

36 minutes ago, pagallim said:

A new record high this morning for Phuket.   256 confirmed cases plus another 2 in the Sandbox, as well as 10 more ATK positives.

XFjCtE8.jpg

Thats another hit for the future if removing the restrictions in place.....

16 hours ago, Kinok Powell said:

Being locked up for 14 or 15 nights for top dollar against 1 night stuck in your hotel room then a further 13 days of freedom to tour Phuket for less than half the price?

You really must enjoy your own company.

I simply dont trust the thais in the south.....and Id be paranoid of testing positive....Ive been to a beach b4

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I simply dont trust the thais in the south.....and Id be paranoid of testing positive....Ive been to a beach b4

It has happened to the German woman and she was negative she just happened to be sat near to someone on the flight, 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It has happened to the German woman and she was negative she just happened to be sat near to someone on the flight, 

Exactly and I usually got thru 6 airports.....Id be too paranoid around others to even enjoy the sandbox..

Id likely hide in my room to avoid testing + and being locked in a crappy hospital, or even a false +

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

"EVERYONE IN THE WORLD will get Covid19 at some point in their live. You, me, your wife, your kids etc. It's pointless to keep looking at positive tests when you have the majority vaccinated. "

Wow, which crystal ball are you looking into?  Might as well say throw everything into the wind.  Why border?  We all will be hospitalised at some point in our life.  I can put my neck out to declare we all will definitely die one day.

I can agree with you that we can start looking at hospitalisation numbers and deaths after achieving a very high level of vaccinated population.  But not with the level in Thailand and Phuket at present.  Take a look at Singapore.  They are onto something, 80% of population vaccinated and are opening up.  Everything under control.  No fudging of stats.  That is learning to live with COVID19. 

I have no clue how you got "Let throw everything in the wind" out of that, but OK. 

Yes, Singapore would be a decent example. However, Israel might even be better. A fully vaccinated country that is still experience an "outbreak" compared to their previous numbers. Deaths are very minimal however. Vaccinations levels in Thailand are not there yet, in Phuket they very much should be getting towards the 60ish/70is %. Hence, we switch the approach. 

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The point being all those who keep saying.. 'focus on serious cases, ICU and ventilators and just open up'.. Have you looked at the stats for serious cases and ventilators.. Have you looked at the hospital occupancy (not isolation the actual hospital) they have risen in direct lockstep with the rises in cases. 

ALL of the data points for Phuket are rising.. And yet the proponents of 'open up let it rip' most of whom have a vested economic interest in that process seem to ignore the fact that Thailands superficially nice medical system is not systemically strong, and without an effort at reduction in all classes of cases liable to collapse under strain. Should Thailands path had gone like India the farang howls of how have they messed it up so bad, would be heard globally. 

Thais understand how fundamentally weak the structural systems, medical care, supply chains of medical supplies, etc etc are here.. Westerners seem to think these things have a resilience like developed countries do. That is a mistake. 

I have never said - open it up and let it rip. That is indeed ridiculous. 

I said we should base the restrictions on the hospitaliations numbers instead of found infected cases. The rise in hospitalization will rise as more cases are found but not in the same relations due to vaccinations. If we do this, then we are still protecting the healthcare system, just like before.

Are Thais scared to do this. Yes, probably. 

• Like 1