Non B - Visa Run

Long story short - and after taking all my willpower not to commit murder at immigration - I may need to do a 'visa run' to get a new B visa.

In any other time this would involve a leisurely trip to KL which I would welcome.  Obviously it is not that easy anymore.

So - before I fork out the 1/4M THB it'd cost to 'visa run' to the UK - does anyone know if it's possible to do in any neighbouring countries yet?  And if so, the process involved?  I dont mind quarantine periods.  

For info Im not vaccinated.

None of the neighboring countries are open at this time.

Singapore might be possible. You would need to check what their current requirements are for entry.

Click Singapore on this map and perhaps other countries within the region to find their entry requirements.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Have you spoken to a good agent to see if they can facilitate a work permit and extension for you without leaving Thailand? If your salary will be at least 50,000 baht per month, and your employer will provide the necessary paperwork, there are few conditions under which leaving Thailand for a Non B visa is absolutely necessary.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

None of the neighboring countries are open at this time.

Singapore might be possible. You would need to check what their current requirements are for entry.

Click Singapore on this map and perhaps other countries within the region to find their entry requirements.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Looks like only Singaporeans and long term visa / passes permitted, as expected.  Thanks anyway.

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Have you spoken to a good agent to see if they can facilitate a work permit and extension for you without leaving Thailand? If your salary will be at least 50,000 baht per month, and your employer will provide the necessary paperwork, there are few conditions under which leaving Thailand for a Non B visa is absolutely necessary.

I've spoken to one.  They say I need to leave and return.....as if it's that simple. 555.

Neighbouring countries are closed.  A run to UK is completely impractial given distance and cost.  Quarantine alone on UK side is 2285GBP.  Plus flight and tests Thai side Id be looking at 3000GBP one way.  The return leg may cost less but still approx 2000GBP all inc.  So total 5000GBP.  Ridiculous.

Basically this issue comes down to mixed info from immigration. 

I was on a B visa for a previous employer.  That was cancelled 2 weeks ago.  I however made it clear to immigration my intention to find new employment in-country. 

On this basis the immigration office (I wont mention the location) provided an extension based on covid to allow me to find a new job.  They assured me I could convert to a new B visa once I secured new employment.

However when I found new employment in another province the local immigration office there did not agree that I could switch in-country and said I need to leave country and return to get a new B visa.

Now, we all know making a complaint about the immigration office that gave the mixed info is a total waste of time.  So if I cant find an immigration contact or agent with a crumb of common sense I may need to 'visa run'.  Not a welcome thought.

7 minutes ago, game4shame said:

Looks like only Singaporeans and long term visa / passes permitted, as expected.  Thanks anyway.

I've spoken to one.  They say I need to leave and return.....as if it's that simple. 555.

Neighbouring countries are closed.  A run to UK is completely impractial given distance and cost.  Quarantine alone on UK side is 2285GBP.  Plus flight and tests Thai side Id be looking at 3000GBP one way.  The return leg may cost less but still approx 2000GBP all inc.  So total 5000GBP.  Ridiculous.

Basically this issue comes down to mixed info from immigration. 

I was on a B visa for a previous employer.  That was cancelled 2 weeks ago.  I however made it clear to immigration my intention to find new employment in-country. 

On this basis the immigration office (I wont mention the location) provided an extension based on covid to allow me to find a new job.  They assured me I could convert to a new B visa once I secured new employment.

However when I found new employment in another province the local immigration office there did not agree that I could switch in-country and said I need to leave country and return to get a new B visa.

Now, we all know making a complaint about the immigration office that gave the mixed info is a total waste of time.  So if I cant find an immigration contact or agent with a crumb of common sense I may need to 'visa run'.  Not a welcome thought.

Frustrating for sure but I hear there are visa agents out there that specialize in the difficult if you’re prepared to pay! 

I Don't pretend to know a lot about this issue, but...

Immigration Office A: perhaps they were trying to help you by stating you could get a new B visa, but if you went back to their office. 

Immigration Office B: mu understanding is you are required to leave the country to obtain a new B visa so they offered what they could.

There is a visa company that advertises on this site that may be able to help.

Good luck, but perhaps with the re-opening of certain provinces happening with lockdowns being somewhat lifted, there may be chance in the next month or two.

Perhaps not helpful right now. 

I canceled my work permit and got an Elite Visa without leaving the country. 

A friend of mine was on a guardian visa, entered into new employment, and got a work permit without leaving the country. 

I am sure it is possible, you need to find the right agent, or your new employer needs to help you. Under the current circumstances, it is quite an unreasonable request to leave the country just to apply for a B visa to obtain a new work permit. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steven mason said:

I got my Non B at immigration in Nakhon Phanom this time last year, and I go in 2 weeks to re new it.

Was that a 90 day non-b visa entry or a extension of stay based upon working or teaching.

To apply for a non-b visa at immigration you must of entered with a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry.