Tourism improvement not expected until next year: Association of Thai Travel Agents

webfact

I have 2 British friends, who live in Birmingham (England). They are 60y old, well-off, fully-vaccinated and retired ( = they have time on their hands, and so they're not worried about [self-]quarantining, if that were necessary after a trip). They are *really* well-travelled internationally, and they are open to the idea of travelling internationally again "sometime". 

There were considering their Autumn 2021 holiday-travel plans, and they thought that they were ***really*** "pushing-the-boat-out" by booking a 1-week holiday to London (England). 

No  -  they're not thinking of travelling abroad/to South-East Asia/to Thailand for a holiday at-this-time/this year; and I would think that *very* few are.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

herd immunity has now been generally ruled out by western experts - not possible with this virus, the consensus now is that every person will get this virus at least once

Well the whole idea that this nightmare is going away anytime soon is nonsense, and with that the idea that mass tourism is going to restart with it.

My fully vaccinated wife just went down with covid pneumonia.

Yes she will recover and unlikely to need to be hospitalized. But this is just how it appears it is, with variants spreading across the planet, the travel restrictions are going to be in a constant state of flux for years.

With my wifes experience I'm kinda at the point to believe  it either burns itself out, or this is our new normal.

Neither of those scenarios bode well for the quick return to tourism as normal

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In a wide ranging interview with Thai business media he said that the Phuket Sandbox and associated plans were a fair start but numbers were very low.

I wondered why we hadn't seen any airport pics lately showing thousands of tourists flooding in.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well the whole idea that this nightmare is going away anytime soon is nonsense, and with that the idea that mass tourism is going to restart with it.

My fully vaccinated wife just went down with covid pneumonia.

Yes she will recover and unlikely to need to be hospitalized. But this is just how it appears it is, with variants spreading across the planet, the travel restrictions are going to be in a constant state of flux for years.

With my wifes experience I'm kinda at the point to believe  it either burns itself out, or this is our new normal.

Neither of those scenarios bode well for the quick return to tourism as normal

Sorry to hear that. May I ask which vaccine she got? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

I have several friends who would love to come to Thailand this year. Pretty much all are fully vaccinated and they tend to spend way too much money!  However they will not endure a quarantine, mandatory overpriced covid insurance and repeated covid tests after entering the country not to mention having to install tracking software on their phones and having to navigate a complicated COE process. 

You have to ask, what are they trying to protect the country from? The horse has already left the barn! Look at the Phuket sandbox statistics. Extremely few positive tests. All varients are already here or will be and cannot be kept out. The high risk people are the thousands of illegal, unvaccinated  workers not the vaccinated tourists.

Why do they not understand that the covid spread is not coming from fully vaccinated tourists but from locals? Lighten up, just require normal entry controls with proof of vaccination and a single covid negative test and the tourists would start returning.

Even in the USA all that is required is a negative test within 3 days of travel for most.

You sir have laid exactly the argument ive tried to get a handle on. Im dismayed at all the negativity (from farangs no less) from this and many many other posts covering the sandboxes and “fear” of incoming arrivals.  I wish the thai government would read these posts to get a guage and a common sense approach in saving LOS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wondered why we hadn't seen any airport pics lately showing thousands of tourists flooding in.

No, but there was just one posted in a recent aseannow post  in the airport of a farang and his lady NOT wearing a mask getting temperature checked. Whiskey tango foxtrot ….

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 2

Truth for a change..easy if you try and the will is there...Next Year..yes...err Maybe...if..but No more witch doctors style fairytales please ..it just dosnt help..and tends to insinuate..not what you consumed...etc etc,,krup.