Censure debate signals end of Prayut’s ‘command-and-control’ leadership

webfact

Thailand-PM-strategy_web.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha at Parliament during a a censre debate on Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2021. (Photo by Thai PBS)

By Thai PBS World’s Political Desk

Halfway through their government’s four-year term, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha and his brothers in arms – Gen Prawit Wongsuwan and Gen Anupong Paochinda – apparently have no choice but to change tack if they want to remain in power.

Events surrounding last week’s censure debate indicate that Prayut has lost his bargaining power with factions in the ruling Palang Pracharath Party as well as coalition partners.

As a result, he can no longer avoid a major Cabinet reshuffle or keep his distance from powerful politicians if he wants a smooth ride during his remaining time in office.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/censure-debate-signals-end-of-prayuts-command-and-control-leadership/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

The law of unintended consequences... He was put in as PM by those who thought he would be strong and look after their interests. Seems like he might not be doing as well as they had hoped.

Just goes to show, being army head and running the military doesn't make you a superhero of running government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

The law of unintended consequences... He was put in as PM by those who thought he would be strong and look after their interests. Seems like he might not be doing as well as they had hoped.

Just goes to show, being army head and running the military doesn't make you a superhero of running government.

Did he make a good job of running the military?  I did not notice.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He'll survive, and get his minders to do some overtime in backroom chats.

To be expected. Nothing of any great consequence or shifting will come of it. 

Frankly, I believe this whole censuring debate/no confidence affair was a designed media play. 

Sleight of hand manipulation is what they do very well.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

I read his profile on Wikipedia a little earlier, I've been living here since 2010 & have history here back to 2004/5, not sure ????, anyway, reading his profile really is a wake up call for non Thai speakers such as myself, I have taken an active interest in his ranting & raving, but when you see some of the stuff he said in the past, well it makes you wonder about his mental stability.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

To be expected. Nothing of any great consequence or shifting will come of it. 

Frankly, I believe this whole censuring debate/no confidence affair was a designed media play. 

Sleight of hand manipulation is what they do very well.

It's a bit like watching the magician doing a card trick... you know the cards are rigged but it still makes for a good show.

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's a bit like watching the magician doing a card trick... you know the cards are rigged but it still makes for a good show.

And it's been great theatre for decades, actually....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

I think you will find there is a very big difference between a Military Academy and a University.

So around 78.9% against him yet the megalomaniac clings on still thinking he is the most unique person in the universe without the ability to see past his overestimation of his own abilities, and dreams of power are coming to an end. Sad little manboy.