Import duty

Golden Triangle

I have recently ordered a wrist watch from a manufacturer in the UK, it is basically a special edition watch related to a trade I belonged to in the army, it will be personalised with my army number & a special logo on the face of the watch with special engraving on the watch back.

The cost for UK based orders which includes 20% VAT is £1795.00, they ( the manufacturers ) will send to me here in Thailand without the 20 % VAT instead will charge 5% duties, plus 7% VAT & shipping via FedEx @ £40.00.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be charged some sort of extra duty by Thai customs dept, 2 questions; does anyone know how much duty ( roughly ) I can expect to pay and how do they collect said duties, do they notify me and I pay the carrier or do I have to go to my local customs office, which for me maybe at Laemchabeang near Sriracha ? Any help gratefully received. Thanks. 

Sorry should have added, I'm in Pattaya & the item will be fully paid before despatch.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info

This article (and other I was able to find) states that customs duty for watches is 5%

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG190717183018849

If it is sent in the same way Amazon ships goods to Thailand, which appears similar to how yours was sent, the customs duty is prepaid and should arrive at the destination with no additional duties/taxes due.

• Thanks 1

If import duty and VAT has been paid up front by the shipper there should be no other charges but you don't say that specifically.     It depends on what "the item will be fully paid before despatch" means, have you been told that Thai import duty etc. has been included in the price and paid in UK?

If import duty and VAT has not be paid, the courier will collect the amount due on delivery.

• Like 1