Retiring to Thailand

My wife and I are retired and considering moving to Thailand as an adjacent country is making as unwelcome after living there many years.
I appreciate there is already a lot of information already published in this and other sites, but is there a one-stop forum/entry/book for comparing the Retirement Visa and the Elite Visa, including such detail as whether we can import a lifetime of personal possessions? If not can UbonJoe please write one!

OP, find your post strange.

As you mention yourself ....there is a multitude of info regarding PE Visa and Non O retirement in existing threads. 

Choose what best suits your needs.

As for importing household goods etc there is a forum with much advice about that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Remember this " The grass is never greener somewhere else "  It may start off green but it takes lots of work and time to keep it green. 

Thailand, isn't paradise it doesn't exist they have their own problems I think the application for visa is the last thing one needs to worry about what is more important like buying a car is give it a test ride first, like another poster said " rent " take it slow do your research as to where you what to settle and one trip isn't enough. 

Rent and take it slow and when it happens for myself there are very few possession that is worth moving get rid of it travel light no????t a suggestion to get rid of the wife?

As others have said, come here and stay , see if you like it. With that in mind it would make no sense to commit to an elite visa, its a big outlay and not refundable.

You can come here on a retire visa for not much outlay, cancel anytime etc.

The type of visa has noting to do with importing your personal property. The same rules apply for any visa. You cant import vehicles.

The actual visa you choose has no impact on day to day life, there is no side by side comparison.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The type of visa has noting to do with importing your personal property. The same rules apply for any visa. You cant import vehicles.

This conflicts with the advice now obtained from Elite Visa, who. state that personal effects are not free of import duties except for work visa holders. That's a deal breaker for us.

2 hours ago, Mario Cosmopolite said:

This conflicts with the advice now obtained from Elite Visa, who. state that personal effects are not free of import duties except for work visa holders. That's a deal breaker for us.

And on a regular retirement visa Non-O  personal effects are not free of import duties unless your wife is Thai.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

And on a regular retirement visa Non-O  personal effects are not free of import duties unless your wife is Thai.  

I'm a bit vague on that. I have read that guys get their Thai wives to import....

Thought there was small catch something about the Thai wife needed to have spent time in country from where the household goods coming from?? or.....

In any event I mentioned to OP that there is whole forum that deals with this and can provide first hand experience.

37 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Correct, neither Elite Visa nor any of the visas commonly used for retirement allow you to bring in personal effects free of import duty.

One other thing I would mention, since it sounds like OP is considering relocation because of proposed changes to financial requirements for retirement in Malaysia:

This is just as likely to occur in Thailand and indeed has in the recent past.  Retiring here, all you can get is a one year extension at a time with no guarantee of future extensions and the requirements can change at any time. Last time they did, the changes applied equally to  those already settled here as to newcomers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 7700 said:

Do yourselves a really big favor and come rent here for six months.

You can read much info here, but until you experience LOFS as a resident, you won’t really understand the frustrations.

Clearly someone who sees the glass as half empty!  On the other side of the coin, there are many positives such as the food the options of where to live, the local people, the weather (better on the Eastern Sea Board) and yes, rent first to make sure you move into somewhere that there are no night clubs next door.  Samui is a great Island with lots of things to do, plenty really good accommodation at varying prices and of course there is Koh Pangan and Koh Tao if you would like to get off Island for a break.  I have been here for over 15 years now and really love it.  If you would like more info, please pm me and would be delighted to help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7700 said:

Do yourselves a really big favor and come rent here for six months.

You can read much info here, but until you experience LOFS as a resident, you won’t really understand the frustrations.

What is LOFS? Here we have another poster who would be better just sticking to his/her smartphone.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Malaysia, my second home (if you can afford it), I'm guessing. Though the revisions to MM2H haven't been approved and with the change in government I suspect they may well not go through with it. Though the damage is already done.

Have I missed something here? Who is the OP? Is it the writer of this post? The Usernames don't tally.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, falang1969 said:

"Always transfer in foreign currency, the exchange rate for baht is slightly better in Thailand than abroad, which might matters when transferring a larger sum."

More than slightly better...

eg. at today's rates for sending GBP10k

Lloyds Bank plc GBP/THB 43.22 = 432,200THB

Bangkok Bank GBP/THB 45.19 = 451,900THB

Wise GBP/THB 45.63 = 456,300THB

Just comparing the banks the difference is 19,700BHT = circa GBP430.00!

What concerns an englishman and hos currency do NOT concern a swedish guy and HIOS currency when it comes to transfer money. So please do not speak so definately about different currencies that you know nothing about....

When it comes to Sweden and the absolutely best thing to do is to transfer thai baht. To leave than exchange in the hands of the thai banks for us is a disaster....

So for GBP, you know better but for SEK I know better...

What concerns USD, have no clue, do you, really??

glegolo

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Have I missed something here? Who is the OP? Is it the writer of this post? The Usernames don't tally.

Nope, I was just hazarding a guess. The OP said "adjacent country is making us unwelcome after living there many years".  Malaysia, an adjacent country, recently announced revisions to the MM2H programme that would increase offshore income requirements from $10k to $40k per month. So it seemed highly likely the OP was talking about Malaysia. Hopefully the OP will return and enlighten us.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, falang1969 said:

"Always transfer in foreign currency, the exchange rate for baht is slightly better in Thailand than abroad, which might matters when transferring a larger sum."

More than slightly better...

eg. at today's rates for sending GBP10k

Lloyds Bank plc GBP/THB 43.22 = 432,200THB

Bangkok Bank GBP/THB 45.19 = 451,900THB

Wise GBP/THB 45.63 = 456,300THB

Just comparing the banks the difference is 19,700BHT = circa GBP430.00!

Your opinion but....I received a charge free (ie UK Bank aborbed there costs) and after Kung Thai costs I received 45.22 last Monday.

Most UK residents in Thailand know that transferring in Sterling is the best rate including costs.

2 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Your opinion but....I received a charge free (ie UK Bank aborbed there costs) and after Kung Thai costs I received 45.22 last Monday.

Most UK residents in Thailand know that transferring in Sterling is the best rate including costs.

That is a decent (but not the best possible) rate when using a bank transfer. However, it is significantly worse than what you would receive when using Wise. Of course, there may be other considerations, other than just the exchange rate, influencing your decision.

I would say before moving to Thailand really decide what you are looking for in the place you want to retire.  Every country has it's shortfalls.  Although,  in 5 years Thailand is rolling out some new home owner options for foreigners (40yrs max).  The plus about Thailand is the good food and beautiful landscapes and you can meet some really good people.  But honestly no one can really help you on this as you have to decide for yourself what it is you are looking for.   Thailand is fairly inexpensive and the food is great but ultimately living here depends on what exactly you are looking for which you may want to detail here so we can give you a better idea if this is where you want to be.

Edited by The Farang