The plight of Thai prisoners

unblocktheplanet

While all of us are deeply worried about our own health & safety, that of loved ones, or our neighbours and communities, there is an invisible demographic.

Every day we see hundreds of new Covid+ infections among nearly 310,000 prisoners in 143 Thai prisons. Our prison population ranks sixth in the world. We can be sure some have died, though not reported.

No family wants the epitaph, “He died in prison.”

Prisoners have nowhere to go. There’s no exit & no home isolation. Medical services in the world’s prisons are minimal and Thailand is the same. Are there even masks made available?

So now we’re putting our children & our students in prison. We’re putting the nation’s best & brightest at risk of death.

They are not more important than other prisoners but put the plight of prisoners into sharp focus. Demonstrators who have been arrested are the only reason we know how horrific is the Covid situation in Thailand prisons.

Even if you’re a fan of law’n’order, even if you really believe ‘justice’ is what isprotected by police and served by courts, bear in mind every prisoner has parents & family, people who love them, no matter what they’ve done.

Everyone is redeemable. There is no one we cannot forgive.

We need transparency regarding the Covid situation in prisons, with percentages. We need compassionate release for those serving minor sentences or with less than one year to release.

Thailand is at the very bottom right now, by every metric. We can go even lower when the first young protestor dies in prison.

We need universal bail for demonstrators. It’s time to replace tear gas & rubber bullets with compassion.

We need some police & soldiers to stop following orders, These are our children.

Wake up! Today the Grand Palace is surrounded by shipping containers, razor wire and an old cargo train. Sincere demonstrators who want change are taking to the streets on another kind of suicide mission. They face not only infection but police violence.

• Like 1

If (heaven forbid) someone violently assaulted, and killed someone dear to you...

Would you still care that they might not be able to wear a mask or have their own space in prison?

Victims of murdered people/crime in general also had/have families and loved ones.

Edited by Noisyaircon2020
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

If (heaven forbid) someone violently assaulted, and killed someone dear to you...

Would you still care that they might not be able to wear a mask or have their own space in prison?

Victims of murdered people/crime in general also had/have families and loved ones.

I’m quite certain if you or someone dear to you was incarcerated in a Thai prison you’d start caring about the humane treatment of prisoners.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m quite certain if you or someone dear to you was incarcerated in a Thai prison you’d start caring about the humane treatment of prisoners.

I am a law abiding citizen and so are those that I associate with.

Why should evil, callous criminals be given rights? What about the rights of the victims whose lives these criminals destroyed?

• Haha 1

Why should evil, callous criminals be given rights? What about the rights of the victims whose lives these criminals destroyed?

I suggest you spend sometime looking into who gets sent to prison in Thailand and who does not.

Guilt or innocence, or even the existence of a crime/victim plays only a small part in the matter.

• Thanks 2

Just two: Compassion, forgiveness. What makes us human is our capacity for these. I hope I have them in me. Otherwise, we're just Vikings, Huns, Mongols out for vengeance. Do you really think druggies (80+% of Thai prisoners) deserve a death sentence from Covid???

• Thanks 1

if they can not test every one in prison and give them sinovac shots of which they have many in stock and more comming.

how do you ever expect the government to test and inoculate all the people in the country even if they wanted to get the shot.

herd immunity, get a horse!!

how can the government test all the people who live outside a major city for covid-19.