The Constitutional Tribunal Disbands Thai Rak Thai - Election cheating

george

All internet use was stopped, television programmes were monitored and an awful lot of people were killed.

15 years ago. Hmmm. I don't even remember I ever heard the word, internet, in Thailand 15 years ago. No disrespect, but your hushand must have quite a memory.

hahahaha. this reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons. Lisa steps onto the football feild and says "I know what you are thinking, that a girl cant play football". Then she realizes that there are a bunch of girls already playing and runs away.

People feel some sort of self worth by being against something, in this case "the evil, undemocratic military junta". If they were so passionate about thai politics, youd think theyd atleast get a few of their facts straight.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone else feel that the 5 years is not a long enough ban for the former prime minister? the idea of him coming back and getting elected somewhere down the road is very uncomforting to me.

no ... he's done

if you understood Thai politics you would understand that

:o So, where's Thailand now ?

In some 60 years it has seen some 24 Prime Ministers, 18 Coups and 17 Constitutions...and a junta, running the country now.

Everybody happy?

I don't think so and I wonder what a -silent- majority is thinking now...

Are they shocked, surprised, amazed, angry....about what happened on Wednesday, May 30th down/up there in Bangkok ? I think so, but don't know them; don't know how they feel, since nobody asked them.

Did the junta ask them, the Farang, the Tribunal...I don't know, but doubt it.

IMHO it has been a sad day for Thailand.

Bring the wrongdoers to justice ? YES.

Bring Thaksin to justice? YES.

Ban the wrongdoers from politics? YES

But: let Thai Courts, appointed under a Democratically chosen Government, decide what to do with the wrongdoers.

But to dissolve a complete political party with 14 million voters, which had 377 out of 500 seats in Parliament, is a decision -made by a junta appointed Tribunal- smelling of heavy influence by -again- the Old Thai Elite.

But, the same Old Thai Elite have a much stronger foothold now than ever before in Thai Politics, the army and Economics.

A sad day for Thailand! Especially for the poor -majority- of Thai.

The Thai just have to sit in their homes and wait for -another new- constitution and -another new- (Democratically chosen ???) Government.

Time will tell if it will be better than the previous: "24 Prime Ministers, 18 Coups and 17 Constitutions...and a junta, running the country now."

Just my opinion.

LaoPo :D

does anyone else feel that the 5 years is not a long enough ban for the former prime minister? the idea of him coming back and getting elected somewhere down the road is very uncomforting to me.

With all the hate for the former prime minister, it makes me wonder if he ate people's babies. Why hate him so much? Assuming he was corrupt, but aren't all politicans corrupt?

If the former prime minister does come back... it WILL be a sad day. The mostly likely reason for him to come back would be that thailand has turned into a basket case. No jobs... no money... no healthcare.. no nothing.. .which according to people looks like it might be the case.

Whats that thai phrase??? "Som na mun"...

Is it better to have a small piece of a gigantic pie, or a large piece of a microscopic pie? The Thai Rak Thai had a booming economy... now thai economy looks like its heading south... but the "corrupt" politicians are no longer getting a large piece of the pie... or any piece... interesting....

And.. Abhisit is being played like a violin.. What an idiot!

OK a violin--but a Sratavarius!

Tried to stay up watching the whole thing. The sandman got the better of me, so here I am up at 5:00 AM reading the good news.

HUZAAH!!!!! HUZAH!!!! HUZAAH on the ruling

No jobs... no money... no healthcare.. no nothing.. .which according to people looks like it might be the case.

now thai economy looks like its heading south...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/31May2007_biz34.php

ECONOMY MONTHLY PERFORMANCE

Key indicators picked up in April

PARISTA YUTHAMANOP

Household consumption and private investment strengthened in April, thanks to economic stimulus measures, said the Bank of Thailand. The private consumption index shrank by 0.4% year-on-year in April, an improvement from a 1.4% contraction in March.

Capital goods imports grew 17% year-on-year in April, compared with a 6.2% contraction in March. Commercial vehicle sales strengthened, but cement sales fell in April.

Government stimulus measures including faster budget disbursements and lower interest rates, improved business confidence. However, political stability would be key to improving investor confidence, Mrs Amara said.

''Domestic demand looked better [in April], judging from indicators. It is only a one-month [indicator] but still a good sign. The stimulus measures may have played a role,'' she said.

Exports totalled $10.62 billion, 16.5% year-on-year growth in April. April's export performance was satisfactory, despite the baht's appreciation.

Imports totalled $10.72 billion, representing 11.2% year-on-year growth in the month.

Imports of raw materials, consumer goods, vehicles and parts all expanded from the previous month.

The manufacturing sector accelerated in April in line with the petrochemical and electronic sector. But capacity utilisation declined due to the number of holidays in April.

Tourist arrivals totalled 1.1 million in April, a 4.1% increase year-on-year. Farm income rose 29% in April, compared with 26% year-on-year growth in March, due mainly to favourable prices.

Financial institution credit rose 2.9% year-on-year in April, due mainly to household lending, with deposits growing 6%.

:o:D

Chaturon Chaisang, leader of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai, told party supporters at the party head office that the rulings against the party were unfair.

He said the rulings indicated that the people, who had seized power, could set what was right or wrong.

He said the people nationwide would find the rulings unacceptable.

The crowd cheered to his speech.

Speaking at a rally in front of the party at about 15 minutes after midnight, he said Thailand was now ruled by dictators.

From The Nation see my post above

So, not only do the military victors get to rewrite history to suit them, but they also make whatever laws they feel like....except most of the laws they have passed so far have been a complete disaster. What a farce! No wonder investors are not interested in Thailand any more.

The sooner this bunch of incompetents are kicked out the better. They are dragging Thailand down so far it will take a long time to recover. Worse than 1997. This is the worst 'caretaker' government ever!!!

:D:o:D

No jobs... no money... no healthcare.. no nothing.. .which according to people looks like it might be the case.

now thai economy looks like its heading south...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/31May2007_biz34.php

ECONOMY MONTHLY PERFORMANCE

Key indicators picked up in April

PARISTA YUTHAMANOP

Household consumption and private investment strengthened in April, thanks to economic stimulus measures, said the Bank of Thailand. The private consumption index shrank by 0.4% year-on-year in April, an improvement from a 1.4% contraction in March.

Capital goods imports grew 17% year-on-year in April, compared with a 6.2% contraction in March. Commercial vehicle sales strengthened, but cement sales fell in April.

Government stimulus measures including faster budget disbursements and lower interest rates, improved business confidence. However, political stability would be key to improving investor confidence, Mrs Amara said.

''Domestic demand looked better [in April], judging from indicators. It is only a one-month [indicator] but still a good sign. The stimulus measures may have played a role,'' she said.

Exports totalled $10.62 billion, 16.5% year-on-year growth in April. April's export performance was satisfactory, despite the baht's appreciation.

Imports totalled $10.72 billion, representing 11.2% year-on-year growth in the month.

Imports of raw materials, consumer goods, vehicles and parts all expanded from the previous month.

The manufacturing sector accelerated in April in line with the petrochemical and electronic sector. But capacity utilisation declined due to the number of holidays in April.

Tourist arrivals totalled 1.1 million in April, a 4.1% increase year-on-year. Farm income rose 29% in April, compared with 26% year-on-year growth in March, due mainly to favourable prices.

Financial institution credit rose 2.9% year-on-year in April, due mainly to household lending, with deposits growing 6%.

When was the last time Parista stuck his/her head out the window to see some reality? I guess the sun shines 24 hours a day in his/her world. What a load of bulldust!

:D:D:D:bah:

Then again, what can we expect from the Bangkok Post government lap dogs?

:bah::o;):D (again)

Edited by MarcHolt

What a load of bulldust!

:D:D:D:bah:

Oh no. I'm in the shitter so everyone else in world (or Thailand in this particular case) must be as well.

PS. The article says that it's getting better in April, not that every thing is all rosy and dandy.

When was the last time Parista stuck his/her head out the window to see some reality? I guess the sun shines 24 hours a day in his/her world. What a load of bulldust!

:D:D:D:D

Then again, what can we expect from the Bangkok Post government lap dogs?

:bah::bah::o;) (again)

Oh the irony.... :o

When I was in law school, we learned that "hard cases make bad law." Tonight's decision is clearly an example of this. For all of the sins of Mr Thaksin and TRT, banning a large party is simply a bad precedent, and a step back from democracy. Richard Nixon's administration was the closest the United States came to a dictatorship in living memory. However, no one raised the thought of disbanding or abolishing the Republican party. The way we get rid of bad politicians is to vote them out of office, not get rid of their parties. There are many in Thai Rak Thai, such as Mr Chaturon, who have something positive to contribute to this country. Why deprive them of what are in essence a huge chunk of their civil rights! Put the guilty ones on trial, instead.

On a lighter note, I am starting a new party.....called Farang Rak Thai. I think I can get many members, but few voters.

Keep calm.

I'll join the "Farang Rak Thai Party!" :o:D

And one must note that the elections in 2001 and 2005 were the most corrupt free in Thai history, according to Transparency International.

Transparency International clearly never set foot in Isan. The vast majority of TRT voters came from this area, and voted TRT simply because they were in receipt of 300bt/500bt per head to do so. I know -I live here! Most have not the slightest interest in politics -only money! Money for cards, money for lao cow and money for the underground lottery!

If vote buying had been stopped (and it could have been with prosecutions and heavy penalties) we would never have been in the position we are today. TRT would never have had an overall majority .

Transparency International clearly never set foot in Isan. The vast majority of TRT voters came from this area, and voted TRT simply because they were in receipt of 300bt/500bt per head to do so. I know -I live here! Most have not the slightest interest in politics -only money! Money for cards, money for lao cow and money for the underground lottery!

If vote buying had been stopped (and it could have been with prosecutions and heavy penalties) we would never have been in the position we are today. TRT would never have had an overall majority .

And the other side never did any vote buying??? :D

As one Issanite said to me one day "just because somebody gives you money,do you think they still just might vote for who they want?do you think we are all thick?"...very good point I thought,although,it might be lost on a few people here..... :o

A political party is disbanded because 'it has had negative impacts on democracy.' Am I reading this right?

TRT was elected democratically and then removed illegally in a military coup. This military government is still in office today. Who really has had negative effects on democracy in Thailand?

Edited by mbkudu

Democratie?

Cut the crap for once

too many people hide their real intentions behind the back of socalled democracy.

It (politicians) give one the impression that their democratie is based on the individual and not in the intrest of the majority(read public)and if they do its based on what people want to hear not based on reality.

Vote rigging, buying whats new...it happens in ALL democracies

another name another game.

In the west its called Kartel agreements (forbidden by law) but widely practised.

As long as ordinary people vote for their own financial gane.....then politics = politrixs

Its about the money my friends (and who controls it)

some call it partnership...they call it wealth protection !!!!

money makes the world go round and down.

the problem is that wealthprotection has a price....oh mind you not for the BIG boys...but for ordinary innocent people.

look around and you know why

no names attached

When I was in law school, we learned that "hard cases make bad law." Tonight's decision is clearly an example of this. For all of the sins of Mr Thaksin and TRT, banning a large party is simply a bad precedent, and a step back from democracy. Richard Nixon's administration was the closest the United States came to a dictatorship in living memory. However, no one raised the thought of disbanding or abolishing the Republican party. The way we get rid of bad politicians is to vote them out of office, not get rid of their parties. There are many in Thai Rak Thai, such as Mr Chaturon, who have something positive to contribute to this country. Why deprive them of what are in essence a huge chunk of their civil rights! Put the guilty ones on trial, instead.

On a lighter note, I am starting a new party.....called Farang Rak Thai. I think I can get many members, but few voters.

Keep calm.

A political party is disbanded because 'it has had negative impacts on democracy.' Am I reading this right?

TRT was elected democratically and then removed illegally in a military coup. This military government is still in office today. Who really has had negative effects on democracy in Thailand?

The answer of course is quite obvious, in addition to censoring the internet, closing down media (the most recent evidence of this was the closure of the radio stations) outlets that don't walk in lockstep with the coup leaders, and now the final disgrace disolving opposition political parties. This sure resembles the template that was used in Munich in 1934, I just hope the eventual outcome for the Thai people is quite different than it was for the citizens of Germany.

On a quick note, I think it was wrong to disband TRT, competition is good for the others.. Quit honestly, Thais are not awake to the issues of their country, everything evolves around the satang/bahts...local villages, lotus, and that shiny new car outside...

Example: when the matter about the "secret documents" that were found in making Thailand a Muslim country plans from one of the controlling ministers of this country... Most Thais don't think it will happen, and are a bit complacent and don't want to talk about it. And before you know it the snowball is too big to stop...so they just accept the change. Whether this will happen or not... time, future will tell. But something is definetly going to happen in this country... no more 'business as normal." We live in a too involved worldwide society for people to bury their heads in the sand anymore...

I personally think, that democracy from America, UK help each one of you speak your mind... if that kind of democracy developed, than, things around here would be a bit more awake...and advancing faster.

My wife is from Issan and I can assure she has never received any money from TRT.

She and her family would vote for Thaksin/TRT tomorrow if given the chance.

She simply says that all the parties are corrupt and at least Thaksin tried to do something for the poor whilst stuffing his pockets - unlike the other parties.

I suspect TRT will reform as TCT (Thai Chawp Thai mak mak) and will win another landslide!

Different day, same shit.... :o

Kind of strange to ban a party which has 14 Mio members.

However, you name it, the entire political system is corrupt down to the bones.

TRT's tactics where a bit too obvious and the had a maniac leader, but apart from that...

> The least they could have done is sorted out the logic of their decisions!

There isn't any. They tried to hide it but I think it's clear to all that this verdict was a done deal and handed down from above to judge Somchai.

Keep in mind, the military doesn't WANT stability. They actually want people in the North and North East to boycott (or vote against) the next constitution.. keeps them in power.

It's been an exceptionally sad day for Thailand, and you know what: we've not hit rock bottom yet.

chanchao, I can understand why you would see this is a dark day or a TRT supporter would see this is a dark day. But there really was no decision that would please everyone here. This is a court under a military government. Its legitimacy is always in question. However, I personally think a wishy washy verdict would have been worse. This decision was so clear that indeed it was risky, but the possible reward is the threat of violence will pass and the country will go on with moving towards more normalcy.

and of course, Democrat supporters will see this as a great day. Unfortunately, Chuan Lekpai governed over the greatest spread of illigal drugs in the history of this country. I have been here long enough to have seen the rise and fall of enconomies etc, but Chuan's do nothing style of management was wonderful for him, because you can not be criticised, his method of governance left this country in a hole so deep it required a something amazing to pull it out, Taksin pulled some of those punches, not all good ones, but the country needed steering in the right direction.

Now, with 12 months of the dirtiest politics in this countries history, 19,000,000 whom still voted for TRT only 14 months ago have no option but to elect... Democrats or Sanoh Teington (booted out by Taksin due to his filty trucking business corruption), Chavalit Yongchaiyut (Mr. 1 Billion payoff,ask and i will explain), Banharn (I'll let my daughter sell all her land to the government for inflated prices) or WHAT... A military party........My God........ a great day for us manufacturing factories, at least labour rates will stay real cheap for the next 10 years!!!!!!!!!

he remembers 15 years ago when the military were in charge then and doesn't ever want to see that again.

All internet use was stopped, television programmes were monitored and an awful lot of people were killed.

In 1992? Does that mean all 3 users of the internet then couldn't connect?

:o