workmanship surprise

soalbundy

Just now, Denim said:

Can we see the after picture too.

You're such a little possum. The Coachwork artist said that he wasn't satisfied with the shine because he hadn't buffed the paintwork enough, he wanted the paint work to be 'sun hardened' as he put it, I was to bring the car back in two months and he would buff the paintwork to perfection at no extra cost. I can't praise him enough.

• Like 2

Just now, worgeordie said:

Should have blackened the tyres ....then it would have been perfect,

Good price for all the work, tell your wife to drive carefully in her

new car...

regard worgeordie

It's the first time that I have driven a car that old, at my firm in Germany I had a new BMW every year. What amazes me is that cars don't seem to rust here at least I have never seen any rust on my car although I don't really look after it as I should do, I have rarely heard the starter motor as it springs into life immediately, now I shall give it a little more love and attention. My missus is a little overawed at the new condition and despite me saying "You drive us to Tesco's (17 km away) she says I should drive it. I consider a car as a utility to be used but after so long in use it does become a sort of family member.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You're such a little possum. The Coachwork artist said that he wasn't satisfied with the shine because he hadn't buffed the paintwork enough, he wanted the paint work to be 'sun hardened' as he put it, I was to bring the car back in two months and he would buff the paintwork to perfection at no extra cost. I can't praise him enough.

Seriously, I think you've posted the wrong picture.

Look for yourself. Especially around the headlights. Doesn't look like a full respray.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I see nothing amiss, I have worked in the auto industry for 35 years at BMW Munich.

Look under the left headlight. There is a patch of white showing where there is no paint. Underneath the white patch ate scuffmarks also.

Not trying to be nasty but you said completely re sprayed

Just now, Denim said:

Look under the left headlight. There is a patch of white showing where there is no paint. Underneath the white patch ate scuffmarks also.

Not trying to be nasty but you said completely re sprayed

Well I have zoomed in as well as seeing the real thing and see nothing wrong, perhaps you are seeing a reflection.  Yes completely resprayed, they even did the footwells (the bottom bit of the frame when you open the doors, there are usually scuff marks, there certainly were on mine.

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Here a front view

front view.jpg

Looks great in this picture. The white bit I was referring too is not in this picture so you must be correct and I confess my bad. It is a strong white reflection. Since nobody else commented on it must be just how it looks on my phone. I turned on my desktop for another look , zoomed in and it is just a reflection.

So yes....great job.

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Can we see a  picture in a few  years as I see many cars  with  peeling paint over   filler after accidents.

How old do you want my car to be? it's already 16 years old, an age that in Europe would have it scrapped.by now. I'm hoping it will outlive me but that is not a given. The future is obviously electric so I wouldn't buy a new fossil fuel car now anyway. The old girl will do us for now.

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Its  not  how  old the car is its  how  long the repair  will  last

Well the guy is obviously a profi and my stepdaughters husband uses him exclusively in his car repair business if there is any bodywork repair to be done so I trust his workmanship.

no surprise really, I have found a few  tradesmen in Thailand that do really great work, unfortunately there are many more that dont, a lot has to do with the lack of professional standards as well as proper apprenticeships/tech schools  etc to ensure they are taught by qualified professionals. Much cheaper to just get workers that lack the enthusiasm & technical knowledge for their work to do it, when you do find a good one you need to hang on to them

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1