Overstay in Thailand

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

If he shows up at the airport, ready to leave, he has to pay a fine of 20,000 baht (that's the maximum amount) and he will be banned from reentering Thailand for a number of years (depending on how long he has overstayed). That's it, no jail time.

Just check-in in plenty of time and go through Immigration, they may want to give him the run around.

Don't be the last at the immigration gate and expect to catch the flight.

17 hours ago, Nyonya said:

He will have to get some money ready possibly a minimum of 50,000 baht and any lower he will miss his flight for sure. Or to pay the overstay fine of a specified amount per overstay day..its gonna be a whopping big sum I am afraid.

It is 20,000b

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tickatus said:

How can he avoid to be caught ? Asking someone to drive him to the airport?

Thanks for your answer

He hasn't been caught during all the time he has been on overstay so why do you think he will be caught now? But, in the 100,000-1 chance that he is then, as another poster said, he will be in major trouble. Arrest and jail until deported.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tickatus said:

Thanks everybody for your help and your time! It's been really helpful!

To summarize:

-Go to the airport while avoiding being caught 

-bring 20 000 thai money and I negative covid test

-go to the immigration desk, pay the fine and come back to Austria.

-no lawyer needed

Btw he is not my friend but a relative -brother in law- (For everyone who called him my friend). But that's just a detail

Ps : he is not the guy that police caught today, his flight is next week 

Thanks again everybody ????????

Surely he will need a recent PCR test to get on the plane to Europe  ? Find out what airline he intends to travel on and see what their requirements are as well as the Thai and European immigration requirements.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

As many have posted already, the only safe way is at airport immigration on the day you are flying out of Thailand.

I was just making sure that the words of poster I quoted were not misunderstood by others.

Yes straight to the airport. 

The following words could be misleading......

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

3 years ban if you hand yourself in and pay the fine.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just check-in in plenty of time and go through Immigration, they may want to give him the run around.

Don't be the last at the immigration gate and expect to catch the flight.

They see already in check in that hes overstay, check in desk haddle immigration officer to pick him  up from there! He not going to immigration gate! He go directly to immigration office whit officer to pay fine! Luggage not check in before he has pay fine! Anyway that was last year when i leave LOS. I was 7 day overstay pay 3500 bth and get out. Should take enough time to haddle all! There was 3 farang before me in office and hole sht take 1 houer. And now more people leaving Thailand so maybe there has longer line in office.

Edited by 2 is 1

4 hours ago, ericthai said:

Why do you guys comment when you dont know and make <deleted> up?

If he makes it to the airport the Max fine is 20K and since he overstayed more than 1 year he will be blacklisted from entering Thailand for 3 years.

If he is caught on overstay before getting to the airport and his overstay is more than 1 year he will be held in Detention until

he has the money for the fine and plane ticket home. Then he since he was caught the ban is increased to 10 years.  

I never hurts to have more than the maximum fine.

In the second situation you outlined things can get much more complicated.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Tickatus said:

Thanks everybody for your informations, it's really helpful.

Aint it better if he is in contact with a lawyer on phon when it's time for him to pass through the immigration?

No need. What many have said is true, fined and then he's safely on the plane, if you want to pay even more for no reason, or benefit at all, then get a lawyer!

On 9/20/2021 at 11:28 PM, Chris.B said:

Get a taxi to the airport and go straight to check in. Have the cash ready.

Unless I'm missing something, there's the virus test, cost about 4000Bt, and the PLF to complete, I think before he goes to the airport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Unless I'm missing something, there's the virus test, cost about 4000Bt, and the PLF to complete, I think before he goes to the airport.

That depends upon the country he is traveling to to board his flight. And some airlines have their own requirements.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

He is travelling back to his home country, Austria where he may may have to quarantine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

Someone has told you a lie.

This is just not true.

Maximum fine is 20.000. No exceptions. Immigration officers at airports don't do "tea money" over the maximum fine.

You should check your source.

Also, when you clearly don't know the rules, you should refrain from answering a serious question.

I know "the rules" as I live here for many years and was on overstay myself, I even got the famous "red stamp" in my passport. That's why I wrote my post - so other people who "know the rules" would be prepared for everything.

My friends "knew the rules" well so they had 40k cash with them, still I remember how they called me from the airport very angrily sharing their experience "WṪF we were forced to pay 50 THB extra for every single day, not 20'000 we were supposed to pay".

So I fully support this quote:

13 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

It never hurts to have more than the maximum fine.

20,000 baht and get to the airport.  BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT IS HE KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT TO EVERYONE  ABOUT HIS OVERSTAY PROBLEM. leave without any big fanfare.  Anyone that has a problem with him can turn him in. Both thai and farang. He needs to be gone like yesterday.  

51 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

Been there, done that. Twice. I had 13 months overstay, got banned for 3 years last time. Paid the maximum fine at the airport, with no questions asked. 

I have read all posts I can find about overstaying. Never ever have I heard of anyone forced to pay OVER the maximum fine. Max. fine is there for a reason.

Still don't believe any of this, it just can't be. 30.000 baht or so more than the fine too, it's simply not possible at an international airport like Suvarnabhumi.

I could believe it under only one scenario. If there was a stop on them leaving the country, such as being wanted for a criminal offence, It is conceivable that you might be able to buy your way onto the plane. The only problem with that theory is that I think the bribe would need to be significantly higher.

• Like 2