Pattaya ready for what it hopes to be a 20% high season compared to the millions before

webfact

On 9/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, possum1931 said:

What is the difference between a Boutique Hotel and an ordinary one?

The "Boutique" hotel is the one that has handed over sufficient cash to 'unmentionables' for the classification. (In a similar way that ordinary police win the vacancies for 'traffic' cops.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems to me that certain Thai persons haven't grasped the concept that to attract people to come to their bar/ shop/ restaurant/ town/ city and spend money there, THEY need to provide something to make it "worth it". Blackpool in the UK has the leisure park with rides and such, but what Pattaya had was girls ( and boys ). Eliminate the main attraction, and expect a reduction in persons willing to spend their money to visit.

I know Pattaya has the Temple of Truth and other such attractions, but they can all be done on a day tour from Bkk.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

The "Boutique" hotel is the one that has handed over sufficient cash to 'unmentionables' for the classification. (In a similar way that ordinary police win the vacancies for 'traffic' cops.)

You mean this is some officially obtained classification that comes with a local certificate to put on the wall behind reception? I thought it was just something the smaller hotels made up after placing some large potted plants around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems to me that certain Thai persons haven't grasped the concept that to attract people to come to their bar/ shop/ restaurant/ town/ city and spend money there, THEY need to provide something to make it "worth it". Blackpool in the UK has the leisure park with rides and such, but what Pattaya had was girls ( and boys ). Eliminate the main attraction, and expect a reduction in persons willing to spend their money to visit.

I know Pattaya has the Temple of Truth and other such attractions, but they can all be done on a day tour from Bkk.

You could do one or two attractions on a 'day tour from Bkk' but saying 'they can all be done on a day tour' is just not true.  Nong Nooch Gardens would take most of a day by itself if you took in the shows and enjoyed all the different, beautiful gardens.  Ditto for a boat trip or a visit to one of the 3 water parks.  Or a round of golf at one of the many nice courses.  I suppose you could cram a few more attractions in if you didn't get out of the car and just did a drive by.  "On your left is the Sanctuary of Truth.  We will pause for a minute while you snap a photo.  Next up, a quick drive by of Legend of Siam." 

You'd likely want to stay over anyway so in the evening you could take in the Kaan show at the D'Luck Theater.  Or, one of several other shows.   Or, T21 is fun.  People are always scoffing but there is plenty to do in Pattaya away from Walking Street.  And, for longer than a day trip.  Hopefully, the attractions that have been closed due to covid will re-open when Thailand opens the country up.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You mean this is some officially obtained classification that comes with a local certificate to put on the wall behind reception? I thought it was just something the smaller hotels made up after placing some large potted plants around.

No, not quite, not on the wall behind reception. But as a 'feel good factor' inserted as an imaginary suppository. It induces smiles of confidence in the land of ...

But yes, a pot plant or two may be provided in the deal. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

You could do one or two attractions on a 'day tour from Bkk' but saying 'they can all be done on a day tour' is just not true.  Nong Nooch Gardens would take most of a day by itself if you took in the shows and enjoyed all the different, beautiful gardens.  Ditto for a boat trip or a visit to one of the 3 water parks.  Or a round of golf at one of the many nice courses.  I suppose you could cram a few more attractions in if you didn't get out of the car and just did a drive by.  "On your left is the Sanctuary of Truth.  We will pause for a minute while you snap a photo.  Next up, a quick drive by of Legend of Siam." 

You'd likely want to stay over anyway so in the evening you could take in the Kaan show at the D'Luck Theater.  Or, one of several other shows.   Or, T21 is fun.  People are always scoffing but there is plenty to do in Pattaya away from Walking Street.  And, for longer than a day trip.  Hopefully, the attractions that have been closed due to covid will re-open when Thailand opens the country up.  

Ah. I didn't mean that they could ALL be seen in the SAME DAY. I meant that they could all be seen on a day tour ( even if that involved 3 or 4 tours ). In reality I doubt many 2 week tourists would be wanting to visit more than a couple anyway. Probably more interested in shopping. Plenty of bus tours from Bkk were on offer prior to corona.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah. I didn't mean that they could ALL be seen in the SAME DAY. I meant that they could all be seen on a day tour ( even if that involved 3 or 4 tours ). In reality I doubt many 2 week tourists would be wanting to visit more than a couple anyway. Probably more interested in shopping. Plenty of bus tours from Bkk were on offer prior to corona.

I think a lot of the tours spend 3 or 4 days in Bangkok and a couple of days in Pattaya, with one of the Pattaya days often being a boat trip.   

1 minute ago, newnative said:

I think a lot of the tours spend 3 or 4 days in Bangkok and a couple of days in Pattaya, with one of the Pattaya days often being a boat trip.   

Agreed, but I was referring to the tours that one can book while already in Bkk, usually from the hotel travel agent.

I did many tours that way. I'd already agreed to pay the hotel for the duration, so I wasn't going to pay again for another hotel elsewhere.

I think you are referring to all inclusive tours booked and paid for in home country.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

No, not quite, not on the wall behind reception. But as a 'feel good factor' inserted as an imaginary suppository. It induces smiles of confidence in the land of ...

But yes, a pot plant or two may be provided in the deal. ????

I once stayed in a boutique hotel on Soi L K Metro. It was very nice with new paint and potted plants in reception, but it didn't offer anything an ordinary hotel didn't.

I knew it was a boutique hotel, because the name included that information.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed, but I was referring to the tours that one can book while already in Bkk, usually from the hotel travel agent.

I did many tours that way. I'd already agreed to pay the hotel for the duration, so I wasn't going to pay again for another hotel elsewhere.

I think you are referring to all inclusive tours booked and paid for in home country.

Yes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Blackpool in the UK has the leisure park with rides and such, but what Pattaya had was girls ( and boys ). Eliminate the main attraction, and expect a reduction in persons willing to spend their money to visit.

We want quality tourists, not sex addicts coming to abuse the vulnerable lower echelon of  society ???? 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, webfact said:

Though the domestic market was expected to prove the major market this year.

I was thinking of taking my family to Pattaya this year, not for long but there are a few sights I'd like to see. I think they should concentrate of domestic tourists and bring Pattaya back to a family-oriented place. Chang vests should be outlawed :cheesy:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was thinking of taking my family to Pattaya this year, not for long but there are a few sights I'd like to see. I think they should concentrate of domestic tourists and bring Pattaya back to a family-oriented place. Chang vests should be outlawed :cheesy:

Saying "bring Pattaya back to a family-oriented place" would necessitate Pattaya having actually been a family-oriented place at some time in the past. Short of prior to 1967 when it was apparently a fishing village, I have my doubts as to whether Pattaya was EVER a family place.

BTW, it is possible to stay in Pattaya outside the bar area and never see a Chang vest, let alone one of those naughty bar girls.

Visit the Pattaya orphanage and never so much as a wiff of a naughty bar.

• Like 1

If Thailand opens up won't the girls come back to pats?  Even if bars aren't open they will be found online.   If this type of activity resumes in earnest with any unvaccinated I fear it will cause a new wave.   

On a different thought. If October opens with a reduced quarantine then Nov is advertised as no quarantine will people book in Nov with a risk that Oct numbers will trigger a change in policy.  I mean most of us have seen the errorof all these predictions and actions starting with our predictions of what was going to happen if last song kran was allowed to go on.  Ok h but we had a new toll highway to open. Free tolls no less.  It would be telling to see a list of shareholders of all the Amazon cafes or what ever businesses and petrol stations are along that tollway. 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:27 PM, Elkski said:

On a different thought. If October opens with a reduced quarantine then Nov is advertised as no quarantine will people book in Nov with a risk that Oct numbers will trigger a change in policy. 

What, exactly, would they be booking?  There's nothing here to see, compared to pre covid Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:27 AM, Elkski said:

If Thailand opens up won't the girls come back to pats?  Even if bars aren't open they will be found online.   If this type of activity resumes in earnest with any unvaccinated I fear it will cause a new wave.   

On a different thought. If October opens with a reduced quarantine then Nov is advertised as no quarantine will people book in Nov with a risk that Oct numbers will trigger a change in policy.  I mean most of us have seen the errorof all these predictions and actions starting with our predictions of what was going to happen if last song kran was allowed to go on.  Ok h but we had a new toll highway to open. Free tolls no less.  It would be telling to see a list of shareholders of all the Amazon cafes or what ever businesses and petrol stations are along that tollway. 

Umm, they are already there.  Not as many as before but still maybe 10x more than available customers.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:04 AM, Neeranam said:

We want quality tourists, not sex addicts coming to abuse the vulnerable lower echelon of  society ???? 

Its the other way round, tourists and sex addicts are the vulnerable ones

that can loose their entire wad with a  'bye nye'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If there's no high season to speak of in Pattaya, then the city is done, finished. The Nick Deans of this world aren't going to keep paying rent and key money on businesses that are bleeding money. I expect 80-90 percent of all foreign owned businesses not to survive the onslaught of another missed high season. GOODBYE!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarcelV said:

If there's no high season to speak of in Pattaya, then the city is done, finished. The Nick Deans of this world aren't going to keep paying rent and key money on businesses that are bleeding money. I expect 80-90 percent of all foreign owned businesses not to survive the onslaught of another missed high season. GOODBYE!

You forget the very wealthy sponsors in the background who are investing in new premises.

One of Nick Dean's latest danders down Soi Chatapom, shows three shops knocked into one. It's going to be a gentleman's club/ night club.

Totally gutted and remodelled. It's called High Rollers.

Pattaya in 2019 had hardly enough patrons to make Soi Chatapom work, let alone gentlemen's clubs.

The triangle bar was packed every night to be fair.

Either money to burn, waste, right off against tax or launder, Pattaya always has someone waiting to have a go.

I wouldn't concern yourself with Nick Dean, someone will make sure he gets through.

Even if there are very few tourists, i would think expats will keep the place ticking over to next year. 

The future of Pattaya will depend on how quickly Thailand allows a stamp on your passport in BKK.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Don't confuse the small area of Pattaya from the waterfront to Second Rd with greater Pattaya. Every foreign owned restaurant and bar in Pattaya could close and greater Pattaya will carry on regardless ie the part that doesn't rely on night life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't confuse the small area of Pattaya from the waterfront to Second Rd with greater Pattaya. Every foreign owned restaurant and bar in Pattaya could close and greater Pattaya will carry on regardless ie the part that doesn't rely on night life.

How are the people going to get by? On pensioners' money alone?

What is the city without tourism? 

8 hours ago, MarcelV said:

How are the people going to get by? On pensioners' money alone?

What is the city without tourism? 

Pensioners??????

Most of Pattaya doesn't rely on western pensioners. IMO apart from the expats, Pattaya is a Thai city for the most part. I doubt tourism is significant outside the coastal strip.

Tell me if you live outside the coastal strip and I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pensioners??????

Most of Pattaya doesn't rely on western pensioners. IMO apart from the expats, Pattaya is a Thai city for the most part. I doubt tourism is significant outside the coastal strip.

Tell me if you live outside the coastal strip and I'm wrong.

I don't live in or near Patts at all. Just have my ideas on the city and its future.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell me if you live outside the coastal strip and I'm wrong

I think you are wrong... but it might depend on where you draw the Pattaya borders. So many businesses around the place are certainly aimed at the foreign tourist market. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think you are wrong... but it might depend on where you draw the Pattaya borders. So many businesses around the place are certainly aimed at the foreign tourist market. 

I regard the city as all the developed area with houses and businesses on them, ie with Pattaya in their address.

However, many posters apparently think Pattaya is bounded by Dolphin roundabout to Bali Hi and inland no further than 3rd road.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:31 AM, steven100 said:

How the heck are they going to get 200,000 tourists per month.   It will depend on what ' open to foreigners '  actually means. 

Will they require tourists flying in from overseas to show vax cert'  ......   ?   I expect this will be mandatory .

Will unvaxed tourists require quarantine  ?     and they should be tested here x 2      ?  

and if they don't have the above measures in place, the Covid19 numbers will escalate exponentially.

And if they are relying on 80% domestic coming to Pattaya, I think that's a big ask ......   maybe 40k-50k might be achievable .... but it's a bit of guesswork as it will depend on what's open and what's not.  

And, will they answer these questions before the <deleted>-ing "high" season has ended?