Building a self-contained condo question

Jenkins9039

Considering adding a condominium (self contained entrance single 2 bedroom condo) to a garage we are building (started piling) having uninterrupted sea-views, but unsure on one issue.

From what i am used to, you'd just build (with licenses) and it would be allocated its own title, as it's technically sitting on top of a garage (with its own entrance) does anyone know the methods one needs to go to, to have a title issued specifically for the condo (separate to the landed garage/garden beneath), so we can flog it when done ???? 

For us it makes sense to capitalise on this as it won't impede our privacy (garage is opposite side of ours) set back and looking at similar view offering properties (condos) 2 bedrooms are fetching 10-15m THB

I've sent off to our architect (my basic idea) so they can sketch into CAD and build the plans, to give us a idea of the cost(s).

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 21.42.31.png

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 21.42.25.png

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see Architect involvement here. Architects are good with Land Use, Building Function & Value.

Every TVF / AN Construction -type OP / Comments I’ve seen, jump from sponsors own basic concept / vague design, straight to “find a Builder”…….. Builders here require Very Close Expert Supervision…..

With such (valuable ?) seaview land , wouldn’t a single House or multiple- level Condos make more economic sense than a (bizarre ?) garage / condo combo ? Garage appears a poor land use choice here ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

1.  Seriously?

2. 10-15 million baht condos don’t come with kitchens “ready made from home pro”

3. Where is the living room?

4. Seriously?

Beach front Phuket. (well behind our villa) and the text Kitchen was an example (early planning) though for the record, home pro kitchens range from 50-900k so its a rather stupid answer, go and look in the 'proper isles' not the 'cheap isles', 

Also living room is there, in addition there's a 8meter long outside sitting area (in my draft) 

Edited by Jenkins9039

47 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Good to see Architect involvement here. Architects are good with Land Use, Building Function & Value.

Every TVF / AN Construction -type OP / Comments I’ve seen, jump from sponsors own basic concept / vague design, straight to “find a Builder”…….. Builders here require Very Close Expert Supervision…..

With such (valuable ?) seaview land , wouldn’t a single House or multiple- level Condos make more economic sense than a (bizarre ?) garage / condo combo ? Garage appears a poor land use choice here ?

I have a builder already, and architect (they are working on other aspects not related to the 'garage'. 

I am more interested in understanding what others did when they built a self contained condo and sold it, (what issues/hurdles/rights etc) had to be worked out when the land itself wasn't being transferred.

No, as we need a garage (we bought the land for that), and the wife wants a garden for greenery, and it's behind our villa (single storey absolute ocean front),  we thought instead of just the garage, as this view has to be worth a few bob, -- you can't really complain about this view--, so the idea of building a condo on top of the garage and selling it to someone made complete sense.

Note the garage is set to be 30meters back (from direct water).

So we googled 'fazwaz' and lo and behold 2 bedroom condos with sea view are 7-15m THB 

So if we build it for 2m-3m (excluding the garage cost) and flog at a profit, that will offset any other costs we've accrued elsewhere (piling costs for an example), at approx 80m2 thats a nice holiday dig, with private entrance, and a few rubbles in my beer bucket.

image.png.8ae2fb7e238378965effabb02b60bcf3.png

243280025_151547427176987_4288979113887805591_n.png

Edited by Jenkins9039

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Typical Thai architect.....

Make the bathroom bigger than the kitchen. 

He11, my ASQ suite is nicer.....

(Feel free to PM me if you move forward. I have AutoCad and years of design under my belt.)

Architect hasn't started... that's me, my draft sent over to them, for them to start putting into CAD (or similar), and i shared here to give a reflection on what I was thinking (but not set in stone obviously).

As far as the architect had got, before my brainwave 243280025_151547427176987_42889791138878

Edited by Jenkins9039

seriously, your costings / values / sizes appear grotesquely inflated……..

Your type & size of place goes for maybe 3 mill baht at Phuket Palace Patong, for example.

Build / Equip Cost for your condo design alone cannot realistically be over 1 mill ?

European Luxury Kitchen ( max. 900 k, seriously, for that cramped condo ?), open to Living Room, is not economic for this design……any fancy wooden frame kitchen exposed to salt air / humidity  / loose sink water, etc. will likely soon rot away ……again, where is your sound market advice here from the Architect ?

my ground floor two bedroom apartment is architect - measured 80m2 , same function as yours but way bigger bedrooms, living room & (separated) kitchen……

My four level Seaview Hillside Renovated Pool Villa ( Phuket West Coast) 320m2 , semi- detached, end unit, 6 bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, four balconies, utility room, parking, sundeck, chill lounge; shared 17 mtr Pool, shared Gardens; would perhaps fetch 12-13 mill baht, including said apartment……..similar enclosed unit, with no work done since 2008 Build, is under Sale now at 11 million baht. Something seriously amiss with accepting / projecting 7-15 mill. baht ? 

You can find Luxury Detached Private Pool Villas for 12- 15 mill in Nai Harn / Rawai !! On their own land of course……

You must surely speak ( again ?) with your Architect about True Costs & Values & also Land Office Matters……..

5 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Cheers.

Well as you can see your wasting time asking from the expert builder's here. ????????

From the way I think you are going about this back to front,  when looking at your sketch the bedroom size don't seem right unless it's a double garage. 

Firstly go to the local govt offices and get permission also what you are allowed to build and to some extent what the look of the build will befrom all sides.  

Up here in the jungle where we live you have to start at the govt office with sketches to see if you will be able to get a listed separate address.

Then approach water and electric suppliers so they can come and look too.

That brings me to the garage if it's your garage that could be a problem. 

We didn't use an architect just a builder once my drawings were approved and we started we were nearly finished and someone from the govt made us do alterations. 

So hope that helps with thoughts.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

you dont get to call a structure a condo then automatically get tittle etc.

what you are building is a structure on your land, it cant and wont ever have its own separate title, unless you subdivided the land, built a separate house etc.

Somewhat correct but I think he says condo to describe the type living area he wants above a garage when he should use the term apartment.

It is possible to do what he wants but if the garage is his and he wants to keep it for his own use there lays a problem as I see it. 

• Like 2

Yes, the second bedroom should be at the back with the living room enjoying the views. No hallway needed. Kitchen near the entrance (stairs).

Agree with the poster above about definition of a condo and the (un) likelihood of a separate title apart from dividing the land.

Before the apocalypse, seafront (view) land in Phuket was astronomically priced. I doubt those prices still apply, at least not for some time..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, the second bedroom should be at the back with the living room enjoying the views. No hallway needed. Kitchen near the entrance (stairs).

Agree with the poster above about definition of a condo and the (un) likelihood of a separate title apart from dividing the land.

Before the apocalypse, seafront (view) land in Phuket was astronomically priced. I doubt those prices still apply, at least not for some time..

I don't think OP is coming back. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

seriously, your costings / values / sizes appear grotesquely inflated……..

Your type & size of place goes for maybe 3 mill baht at Phuket Palace Patong, for example.

Build / Equip Cost for your condo design alone cannot realistically be over 1 mill ?

It costs 800k just for the garage, due to the equipment being brought in, not so easy to bring in (all comes in by boat).

European Luxury Kitchen ( max. 900 k, seriously, for that cramped condo ?), open to Living Room, is not economic for this design……any fancy wooden frame kitchen exposed to salt air / humidity  / loose sink water, etc. will likely soon rot away ……again, where is your sound market advice here from the Architect ?

My own idea, and early days, kinda irrelevant that this is even being discussed when the question was specific to the licensing for the title.

my ground floor two bedroom apartment is architect - measured 80m2 , same function as yours but way bigger bedrooms, living room & (separated) kitchen……

My four level Seaview Hillside Renovated Pool Villa ( Phuket West Coast) 320m2 , semi- detached, end unit, 6 bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, four balconies, utility room, parking, sundeck, chill lounge; shared 17 mtr Pool, shared Gardens; would perhaps fetch 12-13 mill baht, including said apartment……..similar enclosed unit, with no work done since 2008 Build, is under Sale now at 11 million baht. Something seriously amiss with accepting / projecting 7-15 mill. baht ? 

I'm going from fazwaz... if you scroll up the selling price doesn't bother me as it will ALWAYS be clear profit, and just reduces other costs, i'd be happy to sell for 500k more than cost simply as its free money.

And as for comparison these are all different, my main home is worth 20-25m THB but a 1 bedroom pool villa on 150SQM next to this land sold for 15mTHB  a apartment with similar views 2 bedrooms retail at 7-15m THB, what you advertise is generally different to what you pay or get paid. 

So its kinda a mute point as i highlighted above, it's irrelevant, and still no answer as to separate of title, just nit picking on irrelevant things.

You can find Luxury Detached Private Pool Villas for 12- 15 mill in Nai Harn / Rawai !! On their own land of course……

You must surely speak ( again ?) with your Architect about True Costs & Values & also Land Office Matters……..

Rawai is a <deleted> hole (no offence), up there you really are in the 'bartering' because its predominately low-mid end with a few high end villas around saiyuan, hardly comparative to private areas such as Kamala, Yamu etc which are generally tailored to higher end purchases.

As for the Architect, Architects design, and consult with builders, they don't deal with separating a chanute for a self contained condo.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, not sure where you get the idea this structure can be floated off on its own tile, sold as a condominium etc.

Its not a condominium, suggest you read the condominium act the understand what a condominium is. multiple individually owned apartments sitting in a common owned  block on common owned property. Its defined, registered, exists as a condo block by law, you dont get to call a structure a condo then automatically get tittle etc.

what you are building is a structure on your land, it cant and wont ever have its own separate title, unless you subdivided the land, built a separate house etc.

Was part of a 100m$ property development on the west coast previously (10yrs ago), every 'apartment' was sitting on top of a function room (car-park, office, restaurant etc) and every apartment was sold as a condo.. 

- I just don't know how it was done which is where my question is because aside from 25 properties in the same sort of legal structure, i'm doing one, and it isn't a resort, but a self-contained accessed property.

6 hours ago, transam said:

Why have bedrooms with sea views when you go there to sleep.

I would have thought the living/dining room area would be better with the sea view, after all, you spend your time awake there, looking out at the sea view..????

There's an outside balcony area (in the sketch) which gives you something akin to this (attached) but smaller, i'd figured that was more like the 'lounge'.

225779614_4195009490598829_4927711738011884290_n.jpeg

240848537_585590029127681_4983096025566793056_n.jpeg

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well as you can see your wasting time asking from the expert builder's here. ????????

From the way I think you are going about this back to front,  when looking at your sketch the bedroom size don't seem right unless it's a double garage. 

Firstly go to the local govt offices and get permission also what you are allowed to build and to some extent what the look of the build will befrom all sides.  

Up here in the jungle where we live you have to start at the govt office with sketches to see if you will be able to get a listed separate address.

Then approach water and electric suppliers so they can come and look too.

That brings me to the garage if it's your garage that could be a problem. 

We didn't use an architect just a builder once my drawings were approved and we started we were nearly finished and someone from the govt made us do alterations. 

So hope that helps with thoughts.

My sketch went to the architect, they deal with finalising designs etc.

My interest was specific to 'title of the property', not debating room locations etc 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

My sketch went to the architect, they deal with finalising designs etc.

My interest was specific to 'title of the property', not debating room locations etc 

OK you sound you are in control I  just wanted to help with basic info that I know from building appartments where I  live and how we had to go about it. 

Be careful of Architects and builder's saying they will do this and they do that for you that's all my concern for you is. 

Hope things work out good for you. 

• Like 1