No alcohol in restaurants is "crazy" says restaurateur - allowing music is not the answer

webfact

Virtually everything the Muppets do is crazy, just look at extending the emergency decree again.

It's all about the subjugation of ordinary citizens so they can cling on and fill their coffers.

Nothing to do with the pandemic whatsoever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

...............   So we have replaced restaurants with BBQs at my place where we don't need to worry about curfew and drinks can be consumed in a glass.  ...................

Wasn't it reported in these pages, a few months ago, where a pool side BBQ with a few friends and children was raided by the BiB!

Nothing is sacred under this crazy Junta.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

But people getting drunk has been shown to be proven vector and high risk.. Drunk people dont wear masks, socially distance or pay attention.. 

They have no way of stopping alcohol sales turning into drunk people.. The police are unable and unwilling to do anything about this. 

Its very obvious why the ban exists, because they know Thais are not able to enforce guidelines only binary on / off situations (even those not much).  

One of the issues is that most restaurants are serving booze anyway, and I consider that a good thing. Any defiance of the creeps in charge here is a good thing. But, it simply increases the opportunities for the local franchisees (cops).  So, nothing changes, really.

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

I haven't been to a restaurant in months simply as it's not really the same without alcohol.

Many posts in this thread are thinking western style restaurants.

Pic below is just typical beer garden come market. Has live music. Drink staff attend tables.

Open air and currently a no go.

This one is Soi 107 Bang Na.

Closed for what? To kill folks jobs.

Screenshot_20211001-163721.jpg

21 hours ago, stigar said:

i sat and took a drink 1am in sukumvit 7/1

Suk 7/1 has been a rather separate reality through all the lockdowns/restrictions, to a scary degree, which makes me think those places must be owned by high up army and police-or ruled by brown envelopes.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Never understand why do that if they let restaurants open to serve food.just like election and budda days.they stay home and get drunk and still vote too.just go to the mom and pop shop problem solved

I think their idea is that people hang around longer for a drinking session after they eat. I've never noticed this. Most have about two drinks with their meal, pay and leave.

"Only five musicians are allowed and they must all wear face masks all the time except the vocalist".

When I played in a country music band back in Scotland, it was a 4 piece band, three of us including me, did lead vocals and harmonies. The vocalists changed in every song, I can just imagine us with our masks on off, on off, all through the gig.

We would need to take a small break after each song, in my case having long hair, I would need to take the time to put the mask behind my ears through my hair.

Watch your wife or GF putting her mask on and you will get my drift. ????

23 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Draconian laws from a communist regime who utterly despise alcohol/bars, etc, and couldn't care less if Thai people go broke. An utter disgrace.

I don't know much about communism, is it not something like the opposite of capitalism? I would have thought that the unelected PM and his generals were so rich that they had most of their money in off shore accounts.

So where does the communist thing come in?

Wait a minute! is it not that the ordinary Thai people are commies, and the unelected PM and his lot are capitalists?

22 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nice to see we're all on the same page about alcohol now, and the teetotalers are mostly gone from these threads. They certainly chose a heck of a country to come do that in. I certainly didn't choose to live in Saudi Arabia.

Agreed. imagine living here without having a drink. I would have either topped myself by now or be in a mental institution.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nice to see we're all on the same page about alcohol now, and the teetotalers are mostly gone from these threads. They certainly chose a heck of a country to come do that in. I certainly didn't choose to live in Saudi Arabia.

"and the teetotalers are mostly gone from these threads". I am a teetotaler, and I fully disagree with banning alcohol in restaurants.

and the teetotalers are mostly gone from these threads.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I did 8 years. Alcoholic’s paradise.

23 hours ago, RafPinto said:

The last one should already know it by now.

They do not want anymore Thailand to be seen as fun and drink.

If there are no more bars, night clubs etc. open , no more easy girls to be had and if there is no more alcohol to be served, a certain group of tourists won't come anymore.

I think they want to achieve this.

Looks like they already have.

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

How does a glass of wine with dinner mean one can not live with alcohol? That would be normal for most.

Mentioned Alcohol in general, not just wine'os

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Yeah. Get outta the hospitality business and get into something that will be equally controlled and repressed by the omnipresent authorities....

If I summarize your statement (which I - by the way - share); get out of any business in Thailand as long as these geeks poke noses with the sole intention to give you a hard time! 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, DoctorB said:

It has not been proven at all. At best it is an assertion that appears logical to the layman; one of those examples of anecdotal "common sense" so beloved of authoritarians. But can you quote one scientific study to back it up?Just because it appears to make sense does not mean it is necessarily valid. A journey on the sky train or a bus is probably far more dangerous than a beer or two with a meal, but no one pontificates about that.

You can cite evidence.. Where did the current and BY FAR most server 3rd wave originate and gain traction ?? Illegally operating nightlife. 

Or you could see this study (VPN needed oddly) 

https://www.texmed.org/TexasMedicineDetail.aspx?Pageid=46106&id=54216

Which lists bars right up there as the highest risk category for transmission.. 

Or of course you could accept that anyone but an idiot would understand that bars and drunk people provide precisely the kind of environment that is near worst case for viral transmission.. 

TMA COVID  309193 Risk Assessment Chart.png

On 10/3/2021 at 8:01 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Can't the owners of Singha, Chang, and the such put some pressure in the right places? 

Maybe they're actually doing okay out of it? I know that my alcohol has certainly increased drastically with all these lockdowns. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, James105 said:

Alcohol hasn't been banned.   The people truly suffering are not the alcoholics as they can stock up on whatever they want and drink themselves into oblivion at home if that is their desire, but the people who rely on selling alcohol as part of their business model are suffering.    Other than McDonalds etc, the restaurant trade relies on alcohol sales as they cannot make money on purely selling food.    

I haven't been to a restaurant in months simply as it's not really the same without alcohol.   I don't drink a lot (maybe once or twice a week) as I need my brain functioning for what I do for work, but I only really enjoy the restaurant experience with a few glasses of wine or beer.   So we have replaced restaurants with BBQs at my place where we don't need to worry about curfew and drinks can be consumed in a glass.   This means the money I spend on food/drink only goes to the supermarkets, who are not struggling financially and none of my income goes locally to those who own these restaurants who are struggling.   I do not think I am in the minority here.      

If you opened a puritanical restaurant (other than a fast food type of joint like a McDonalds) that doesn't sell alcohol your business will probably fail very hard and very quickly as the majority of people, even if you served great food, would probably prefer to go somewhere that does.   

Same here, the few thousand baht I spend on beer goes to makro and not to a local business where I used to go almost every night for a couple of hours,

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Maybe they're actually doing okay out of it? I know that my alcohol has certainly increased drastically with all these lockdowns. 

Their sales have not dropped Im like you I still buy and drink at home

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Prerequisite for a Prime Ministership should be that he was never any part of the Military.

Wouldn't work unfortunately. They'd simply rewrite the rulebook after stealing power, same as they did after the coup in 2014.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, possum1931 said:

Prerequisite for a Prime Ministership should be that he was never any part of the Military.

Good luck on that. The military has run Thailand since 1932 and I see no chance of that arrangement ending..  Thailand has no threat from nearby Asian countries, so they should follow the Costa Rica model and dissolve their military.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Good luck on that. The military has run Thailand since 1932 and I see no chance of that arrangement ending..  Thailand has no threat from nearby Asian countries, so they should follow the Costa Rica model and dissolve their military.

16 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Good point, but dissolving the military may be fine, but any country needs real politicians, liars that just about all senior one's really are, that is what countries need, not soldiers.