Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

IMO if you are guilty you wouldn't call the cops. You would get rid of the corpse and  quietly go on with your daily activities. On which ground was he arrested? O yes understood, on the ground of being the farang. One way or another to get out of this <deleted> it will cost him a bunch. Welcome in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Something is fishy about this story.

Do you really need a gun to rob a pensioner (someone older than you) in a house? A big knife would be more than enough for most robbers. You only need a gun to rob a bank with security guards.

For all we know, the swiss guy could have used the gun to hit the robber's head .

Else how can a scuffle result in his death?

Edited by EricTh

14 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

But can we talk about the CGI reenactment in the new report though? Someone did a good job putting that together on short notice.

Sure was lively.............Reminded me of the Aha 'take on me' video

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

An investigation is needed. For all we know the burglar and wife could have been in cahoots?

In cahoots to achieve what? He lives on a pension and is already supporting her, what else was there to gain?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do you really need a gun to rob a pensioner (someone older than you) in a house? A big knife would be more than enough for most robbers. You only need a gun to rob a bank with security guards.

For all we know, the swiss guy could have used the gun to hit the robber's head .

By the Thai guy hitting his head on the concrete wall or on the concrete floor causing a skull fracture and a brain bleed like what happens to many who are king hit and knocked off their feet

• Like 2

Hmm...sounds like the Wife was out drinking.. met her admirer... goes home drunk..and her Hit man comes in to kill the Husband.  Who knows..but I certainly would not put it over the wife in this situation. She knows the killer, and the Killer had eyes for the wife. What do you all think?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, finnsk said:

Royal thai police arrest swiss farrang making selfdefence in his own house.

So now we can not defend our self in our own houses against armed thai robbers.

The farrang only did a good job, helped Thailand free of a armed thai killer/robber.

If they want him to jail for that, farrangs can not believe in any justice in LOS.

Remember the Golden Rule.... If the Farang is not in Thailand, the incident could not happen.

Unbelievable that they arrest the Swiss man...This happened a couple of times in the last year in the bay area. California law around this is:

California Penal Code 198.5 PC explains that a person will be presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent harm when someone unlawfully breaks into their home. If the person, while in their own home, uses deadly force to protect themselves and their family, it can be justified as self-defense

50 minutes ago, drand11 said:

Hmm...sounds like the Wife was out drinking.. met her admirer... goes home drunk..and her Hit man comes in to kill the Husband.  Who knows..but I certainly would not put it over the wife in this situation. She knows the killer, and the Killer had eyes for the wife. What do you all think?  

I think you’ve have a few beers, puffed on a little whacky-baccy and been watching a few too many crappy tv serious.... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Strange logic... You think its ‘fishy’ because the deceased didn’t rob the pensioner the way you think a pensioner should be robbed with a knife ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly, honesty doesn't get you far in Thailand. The Swiss guy should have packed the intruder up - hopefully when still alive - and driven him in his tied up to state to some place out in the countryside with some water, legs not tied. Then, made a pact with his wife never to mention it again. "Never seen the guy, Mr. Policeman."

If a Thai dies and it looks like you caused it, even if he/she tried to kill you, you're in deep trouble.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, vangrop said:

IMO if you are guilty you wouldn't call the cops. You would get rid of the corpse and  quietly go on with your daily activities. On which ground was he arrested? O yes understood, on the ground of being the farang. One way or another to get out of this <deleted> it will cost him a bunch. Welcome in LOS.

Quite likely (as I do not know for certain) - that he was arrested as a matter of standard procedure when someone is killed in a confrontation. 

(Already explained in this thread - I’ll repeat) - Even in an vehicular incident when loss of life has occurred the other party is automatically charged with ‘reckless driving causing death’ and then released on bail - That is just SoP for Thailand.

The very same could be the case when someone is killed in a confrontation - At a guess, the Swiss man has been bailed already and the police are simply going through the investigative motions. 

If no further evidence comes to light, the story remains non contradictory and there is no further suspicion on the Swiss man I guess that the charges may be dropped quite quickly (again, a total guess). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keith101 said:

If he is charged with a crime causing death in defending himself then it will another reason for tourists to stay away and all expats to be wary of defending themselves .

So far, the process has followed what it should.  The police are not there to determine whether it is self-defense... that is what the court (or the equivalent to DA/Crown Prosecutor) should be for. 

• Like 2

Regardless of what happens to this case, It makes me think twice about wanting to spend time in the country any more.

My wife always warns me that if a dog attacks me I am not allowed to harm the dog. This is 100 times more ridiculous than that.

If anything threatens me or my family I should not have to think twice about defending myself, or anyone for that matter.

If Thai law does dot support a person defending themselves in their own home, perhaps I do not want to be here... =[

Very sad regardless of the outcome of the "Investigation"... !!

Wait, don't tell me there will be a "re-enactment" to determine how "justice" is served... =[

Sad was an understatement, FRIGHTENING is more like it...

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Latest news seems to be saying there's a bit more to the story . Wifes long term boyfriend paid a visit , sort of thing 

I sort of got the feeling their might be potential for that from the story that was the OP.  It is why the police should stick to investigating and providing the results of their investigation and the Crown Prosecutor or DA (not sure what it is called in Thailand - the equivalent position) decides on what charges (if any) to pursue and the courts to decide on if there is enough evidence of anything else other than pure self-defense motives behind the killing.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The deceased and the Swiss man's wife were apparently both local drunks.

Also, the deceased was an idiot. Review the enactment again on the video posted on this thread (page 2) and go to the timestamp around 5.15.

During the enactment the Swiss guy motions to the officer (acting as the intruder) to look up.

The officer looks up and the Swiss guy acts out taking a gun away from the officer.

Really, the Swiss guy using the old distraction ploy of 'Hey! what's that over there?' seems to add a farcical element to the case.