Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

I don’t know the inns and outs with this case but my TGF told me while watching the news on tv last night that the rumours on Thai social media suggest the wife had a 2/3 year relationship with the deceased.....whether true or not....more to come from this story methinks.

Personally I would never put up with any wife/GF that went out partying without me being invited also.

If indeed that's the case, why then arrest him? Why not confiscate his passport and prosed with the investigation? Does the police in Thailand have the right to arrest you simply on suspicion based on  rumors? 

• Confused 2

Just now, sirineou said:

If indeed that's the case, why then arrest him? Why not confiscate his passport and prosed with the investigation? Does the police in Thailand have the right to arrest you simply on suspicion based on  rumors? 

The Police are currently interviewing him to find out what happened and they can arrest people who they think may have committed a crime 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Police are currently interviewing him to find out what happened and they can arrest people who they think may have committed a crime 

Apart from a dead man. It would be somewhat amusing to have seen the body cuffed, just in case 55, ghosts and all

3 minutes ago, Flemo said:

Smells like a love triangle

Its always has something to do with the inside triangle of a ladies legs. If the pussy could be taken as an independent witness, and spill the beans I reckon we would know the truth.

Edited by Khabib
Additional
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, Richard Kuklinski said:

Now, lawyers, police, and the deceased's family will be the benefactors of the Swiss guy's retirement fund. 

If I were the swiss guy I would give them all the middle finger. They would not get a penny from me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

If I were the swiss guy I would give them all the middle finger. They would not get a penny from me. 

I'm not convinced that would help his situation, but if innocent (I hope) he shouldn't have to pay a penny. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, he was convicted because he shot a burglar in the back as he was running away and the court felt he should have let the burglar escape and there was no need to shoot him 

Yes, McVicar's book on the subject was not very supportive of Mr Martin's case. It appeared he was waiting at the top of the stairs with a loaded shotgun.

• Like 1

I thing die outcome will be, the lady have new 'thai' boyfriend and together want to get rid off the faring man and live long and 'happy' with the pensioners money and more...

Wait and see.

Edited by gerritkaew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A snapshot of the chasm of the mindsets between laymen and the police. 

As clearcut as ‘it needs further investigation’ as it gets.

Unless of course you believe everyones story when someone is killed ????

-------

Of course on the story of the Swiss man seems perfectly feasible where as other suggestions floated on this forum thus far seem a little more far fetched although not beyond the realms of possibility. There is simply no way of telling until a proper investigation takes place - So no, not 'as clear cut as it gets’.

9 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

...assuming he is not lying of course.

but essentially the frame is a 'westerner got one up on a Thai on their hallowed ground, and he will pay."

1. The wife admits to knowing the deceased, says he is a "friend of a friend" and she has turned down his romantic advances.  It is unlikely that a Thai man in a village goes directly from "hello" to "do you want to get it on", so it is likely that they must have had a fair amount of interaction, gotten to know each other to a fair degree.

2. There is no mention of the deceased having a criminal record, or the reputation of being one.  I get that people get economically desperate during these times, especially day labourers like the deceased.  But then you steal, maybe break in when the owners aren't present.  It's unlikely that one goes from "not a criminal" to a robber at gunpoint all in one go.

3. Of all the houses to rob, the deceased had to choose that of the Swiss.  Hardly makes sense if he just wanted money out of desperation.

As best as I can tell, the deceased saw that the lights were on in the house, which didn't faze him at all.  He came armed with a pistol.  He came WITH INTENT.  My assessment is that Thai man didn't intent to kill the Swiss outright.  Otherwise, as soon as they were facing each other, he would have unloaded 4 shots quickly, and then aimed carefully with the other 2 shots.

Which leaves the following possibilities:

- the Thai man came to talk.  Not in a nice way, mind you.  More to threaten the Swiss at gunpoint.  And then something went wrong.

- the gun didn't belong to the Thai man.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, Doctor Tom said:

clear as mud.  All of those things are assumptions at this point as there were no witnesses.  Its only the Swiss mates version

and the dead gun toting intruders version, unfortunately hard to get a sworn statement from him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

A simple check of the Thai man's bank statements/finances will determine if he was low/desperate for money.

And that will tell you what? You are aware that people who are not "desperate for money" commit robberies, right?

On 10/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, club said:
On 10/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I know that but that is a lot different from the intruder being killed "with no questions asked"!   There would be a lot of sodding questions asked!   

My comment was not about the legality, it was about your ridiculous claim that "there would be no questions asked".   That is false.

Expand  

If someone broke  into your house and held  a gun to your head or your wife and kids heads. Your liberal attitude would change quickly . You would probably ask nicely to please put the gun down. You would not like the results. 

That is incorrect, read my comments to you again.  What you suggest is not my attitude but my attitude is not what I was commenting on.   My comments related to your ridiculous claim that in the US (and other countries) an off-duty police officer could kill an intruder with no questions asked  That is not the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

And that will tell you what? You are aware that people who are not "desperate for money" commit robberies, right?

Of course I'm aware, but if the Thai man had little to no money in the bank or was facing bills he couldn't pay,  it would make the Swiss man's story of the break-in and saying "Money! Money!" a lot more believable....right?

And if the Thai man had enough money in the bank and able to pay his bills, it would be cause to question the "Money! Money!" demand...right? 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1