Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

It seems the swiss guy still free. And the police till now believe his story.

Just saw an interview in TV with the swiss who told a little bit more about it.

Yes there are many things which we can't know, because we not were there.
But I am amused to see how many hobby police are here who know everything. 

Although no one has claimed to "know everything" and posters have been discussing the case 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, paul1804 said:

All these posts making predictions & assumptions, pretty silly unless you know the facts isn't it???

All this speculation tells me is that there is an abundance of old men on here that find this whole thing hits a little too close to home.

17 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Thai law is deliberately vague to allow different legal interpretations of the same events for different people and precedent is not important. My understanding of this includes attending a course about firearms laws with a Thai lawyer as part of a shooting course at a Thai military owned range. The lawyer said the courts expect you to use proportionationate force to defend yourself and family and that you should not have intent to kill the intruder.  It seems ridiculous but he said that, if you are armed, you need to check there is a really a credible threat to your life or someone else's and preferably fire a warning shot. Then you should aim below the waist. If you are sure you hit him, wait to see that he is no longer a threat before you fire another shot. I told him this is ridiculous because you need to aim at centre of mass to be sure of stopping the threat and, if you wait and see before firing again, he might shoot you first.  Also I argued that shooting below the waist might hit him in the balls which might be far worse that being wounded in the stomach or chest, if he survived.  His answers were that he agreed with me completely but that is the way Thai courts see it, as evidenced by cases he has looked at and the key thing is being able to prove lack of intent to kill.  I asked him about ammo, since in the US lawyers have made cases that using hollow points in self defence killings showed intent to kill.  He said he had never seen any cases where the court looked at the type of ammo used and recommended loading a self defence piece with hollow points to increase chance of stopping the threat and reduce chance of rounds going through walls and hitting other people.  Another lawyer told me that, if you shoot someone in self defence in Bangkok, the police forensic team will charge you from 80,000 - 100,000 baht per shot fired in order to come up with a report that favours your account of events. So best to get the job done without firing too many rounds. 

I can see that, in order to extort more money and appease the family of Mr Sathien, police will try to argue that Mr Rudolf should have been more gentle with Mr Sathien.  They will probably try to argue that he tied him up and beat him to death after disarming him.  If it comes out that Mrs Lakh and Mr Sathien were lovers, they might produce jealousy as a motive for killed Mr Sathien after he was disabled and neatly trussed up. You can be sure that all manner of dirty tricks are used against Rudolf since he is only a farang married to peasants with no connections and therefore no rights.   

Yeah right James bond, yeah right.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone suggested checking the dead guys hands for gun shot residue? Would seem to answer a lot of questions.

The enactment is good to watch, luckily the hand cuffed the Swiss guy. I imagine they realized the four armed police were no match with his Ninja fighting skills.

The comments are good also, lots of thumbs up and 100% from Thais cheering old Swiss matey.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, Cake Monster said:

If this Swiss man is charged with any offence at all, the Thais can kiss goodbye to attracting the high rolling Foreign people that they are so desperately seeking.

The potential 1 Million or so Digital Nomads Etc Etc Etc, will just say " <deleted> that, if I cannot defend myself , and what is mine, without prosecution."

this will start open hunting season on foreigners...the scum knowing many might be afraid to defend themselves at the risk of being arrested (for being the victim) sad sad country .but at the end of the day White spells money we are all millionaires eh 

• Like 1

Police in Udon Thani in Thailand's north east have promised justice after a Thai man was killed by a Swiss pensioner at the foreigner's house.

"Have promised justice" is a euphemism used by Thais to indirectly state that the Swiss man who was protecting himself from a Thai with a gun will be found guilty of murder and locked up for the rest of his life unless huge amounts of cash are given to the deceases's family  -  See!  Armed robbery and home invasion ultimately end in a payday.  Lessons Learned:  Violent armed crime ultimately pay if the intended target is a farang who can not legally defend themselves!  Instead of the armed robber's death being a deterrent and a warming to others that armed home invasion robbery victims have the right to self-defense...no instead the cops "have promised justice" <for the Thai armed robber - read between the lines> as the RTP paves the way for future armed robbers to target farang who now have no right to defend themselves even in their own homes against an armed home invader.

That's a hell of a deal, now isn't it. As long as a Thai national's target for violent armed robbery is a farang - "do as you will" is the law.  We "promised justice" for any Thai armed home invader who is injured or killed by a farang defending their life, family, and property. 
TIT = Farang Have No Rights To Self-Defense.

Oh - I do hope I am completely wrong on this.  I fear I'm completely right.

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Police in Udon Thani in Thailand's north east have promised justice after a Thai man was killed by a Swiss pensioner at the foreigner's house.

"Have promised justice" is a euphemism used by Thais to indirectly state that the Swiss man who was protecting himself from a Thai with a gun will be found guilty of murder and locked up for the rest of his life unless huge amounts of cash are given to the deceases's family  -  See!  Armed robbery and home invasion ultimately end in a payday.  Lessons Learned:  Violent armed crime ultimately pay if the intended target is a farang who can not legally defend themselves!  Instead of the armed robber's death being a deterrent and a warming to others that a armed robbery victims have the right to self-defense...no instead the cops "have promised justice" <for the Thai armed robber - read between the lines> as the RTP paves the way for future armed robbers to target farang who now have no right to defend themselves even in their own homes against an armed home invader.

That's a hell of a deal, now isn't it. As long as a Thai national's target for violent armed robbery is a farang - "do as you will" is the law.  We "promised justice" for any Thai armed home invader who is injured or killed by a farang defending their life, family, and property. 
TIT = Farang Have No Rights To Self-Defense.

Oh - I do hope I am completely wrong on this.  I fear I'm completely right.

mate you have nailed it 100% i agree with all you say we have No rights we are the bottom of the food chain here dogs get more respect ...Hate us Love our money 

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

this will start open hunting season on foreigners...the scum knowing many might be afraid to defend themselves at the risk of being arrested (for being the victim) sad sad country .but at the end of the day White spells money we are all millionaires eh 

Are you aware that the Police are investigating this case and there have been suggestions that this wasn't a robbery and that the deceased may have been killed for being involved with the Swiss guys wife ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you aware that the Police are investigating this case and there have been suggestions that this wasn't a robbery and that the deceased may have been killed for being involved with the Swiss guys wife ?

Let the chips fall where they may -  I'm extremely interested in this case as it has the potential to set legal precedence.  Let hope this doesn't get memory holed.
If the Swiss guy is at fault (if it was really the wife's gun, if the dead Thai was admitted into the home via the door, if the killing was a crime of passion) then I'll entertain a difference scenario.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Let the chips fall where they may -  I'm extremely interested in this case as it has the potential to set legal precedence.  Let hope this doesn't get memory holed.
If the Swiss guy is at fault (if it was really the wife's gun, if the dead Thai was admitted into the home via the door, if the killing was a crime of passion) then I'll entertain a difference scenario.

That's two random posts that I've liked. See they're both from you. Will be looking for more words of wisdom from Mr Artic from now on, very well said.

32 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Like working with computers, computer security is attained via Defense In Depth.
So is physical security.
Walls  -  Check
Barbed wire on walls  - Check

Cameras  -- Check

Flood lights -- Check

A pack of guard dogs - Check
Iron grating on doors and windows of home  - Check
Locks on internal doors (safe room) - Check
A weapon of last resort in your safe room - Check

If you end up in jail after a home invader breaks through all those defenses and ends up dead for their efforts - well - you've done your due diligence.  The problem becomes the Thai Justice System.  I'm not dying because they tell me I have no rights to self-defense.
If farangs really are not allowed to protect their own lives - All and all it's just another brick in the Wall.

This is the superb checklist, should we suspect we're open season prey.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For real ??? - the only racism I see is the mud thrown towards Thai’s in your comments. 

Someone has been killed, it has been highlighted numerous times that this would be handled and investigated in a similar in many other nations. I do not see how a Thai would be treated any differently in the same situation. 

Some people look too hard to play the victim which weakens genuine issues when they exist. 

I'm not a racists im a realist .read says arrested Not taken to help with enquiries   I'm being told that if i protect my family and injure the Thai in the event I'm to blame ..think you need to learn to read  before getting on your high horse about these wonderful criminals

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don’t know the inns and outs with this case but my TGF told me while watching the news on tv last night that the rumours on Thai social media suggest the wife had a 2/3 year relationship with the deceased.....whether true or not....more to come from this story methinks.

Personally I would never put up with any wife/GF that went out partying without me being invited also.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

no I'm quoting on the original story if things are proved different then i re comment 

I can see many differing opinions on this. Best wait for more information, until we have enough to satisfy ourselves the potential polar opposites of reason. I'm going to stay tuned, but remain neutral until more details are arising.

22 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

yes me also all the comments I've made were on the original post 

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

I don’t know the inns and outs with this case but my TGF told me while watching the news on tv last night that the rumours on Thai social media suggest the wife had a 2/3 year relationship with the deceased.....whether true or not....more to come from this story methinks.

Personally I would never put up with any wife/GF that went out partying without me being invited also.

May even be that the Swiss guy arrived home early unexpectedly and the Thai guy was already in his house ?

The Wife was upstairs in bed at the time 

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

My wife any myself are the same. We go out daytimes separately, back by dark. Nothing untoward ever happens (I hope).

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

no i hadn't heard  all quotes ive made were based on the original reports  if things have changed then i reply accordingly just following the original

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

May even be that the Swiss guy arrived home early unexpectedly and the Thai guy was already in his house ?

The Wife was upstairs in bed at the time 

Most certainly a possibility. It's all very intriguing at the moment. It's a sad affair, whatever the truth

• Like 1