Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

20 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

How do you know that 'he' had the loaded gun?  Because the guy who killed him said so?   See what I mean, thrown in the pond means no finger prints or DNA, odd eh? 

Actually fingerprints will survive being submerged in water, especially for a short time like this case. Now if the gun had been wiped down with no fingerprints and no prints on the rounds or shell casing that would be suspicious.

• Like 1

Hmm, suspicious? I think (like some others here) the plot is a bit thicker than the it seems. A lone Thai individual climbs the (not high) wall trying to rob a foreigner of his money at his own walled abode.?? Nope, don't buy that. 

Edited by TKDfella

Why would the deceased  go to a house with a gun, which suggests he was expecting me meet the house owner , and rob a hose where the house owners knew him and would be able to easily identify him . 

The Wife upstairs asleep who was acquainted with the deceased, why didn't she come downstairs when a gun was fired ?

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Wife upstairs asleep who was acquainted with the deceased, why didn't she come downstairs when a gun was fired ?

I know when my Thai wife hears a suspicious noise late at night, she doesn't run to it's location. she'll wait cautiously and usually nudge me to wake up, 555.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Hmm, suspicious? I think (like some others here) the plot is a bit thicker than the it seems. A lone Thai individual climbs the (not high) wall trying to rob a foreigner of his money at his own walled abode.?? Nope, don't buy that. 

What, you don’t buy the idea that a poor Thai is going to try and rob a foreigner he thinks may have money around ?

It seems more than feasible and as covid is putting more and more pressure on the poor I suspect such similar occurrences could be more common. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, matchar said:

Actually fingerprints will survive being submerged in water, especially for a short time like this case. Now if the gun had been wiped down with no fingerprints and no prints on the rounds or shell casing that would be suspicious.

Yes, but the Swiss guy now has an excuse for his prints to be on the gun.

For all those saying this will put people off coming to Thailand, I say show me a country where the police would not investigate the killing of a man on another man's property, and then I'll show you a country I wouldn't want to live in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why would the deceased  go to a house with a gun, which suggests he was expecting me meet the house owner , and rob a hose where the house owners knew him and would be able to easily identify him . 

The deceased probably wasn’t a member of Mensa - most criminals are dumb. 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Because she was in a deep sleep after a few drinks (or maybe a lot of drinks), may not have heard it.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

what ?

The Thai was armed with a firearm and made an unauthorised entry to the property to commit armed robbery and discharged the firearm when challenged, he was then disarmed during a violent struggle and incapacitated - the Swiss man should be getting a medal

pretty clear to me

If that story is true, sure he should be rewarded. But it has to be investigated and confirmed first.

Just now, ballpoint said:

Yes, but the Swiss guy now has an excuse for his prints to be on the gun.

If the Swiss guy's story is true then both men's prints should be on the gun and the dead man's prints should be on the rounds if he loaded the gun himself. Easy to prove either way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

O.K.

Give me one, just one occasion when a felang has been convicted and jailed for self defence ?

Why not go even further , give me one occasion when a Thai was convicted where he was defending himself ?

(Lets not go off topic and start talking about traffic accidents)

Name the felangs who are in jail after getting attacked and who were defending themselves , I have a feeling that you will not be able to name any at all 

The point is to say ' I’m sure ' when it comes to Thai police and the justice system is inadvisable. If you can’t name a previous instance where a farang has killed a Thai burglar then your point is moot . Can you?- if not then there is no specific precedent and the only guidance is RTP form in general. Are you happy they got the right culprits for the Koh Tao murders and if not what gives you such confidence here? It may be he isn’t eventually charged but in his position would you be feeling relaxed and confident about the outcome even without some ‘financial consideration'? 

5 minutes ago, matchar said:

If the Swiss guy's story is true then both men's prints should be on the gun and the dead man's prints should be on the rounds if he loaded the gun himself. Easy to prove either way.

Exactly.  Hence the need for an investigation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Swiss guy would also have an excuse for his prints being on the gun if he’d simply taken it of the deceased and held on to the gun. 

Slinging the gun away into the water, then telling the police that he had done so seems to clearly outline that the Swiss man had no intention of using the gun to harm or kill the deceased. 

So, the police should take his word and let him go?  Or should they do what the police of any country would do and hold him for questioning, and maybe allow him to be released on bail, until the investigation has been carried out?

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1

In any country I know of with half decent laws Police would arrest and charge any person who caused  the death of another in any circumstances. If the Swiss man's story is accepted as true he would still be charged with manslaughter. In any eventual Court hearing if it was established it was unintentional and accidental manslaughter in the act of self defense against an armed intruder proper justice would see the charge dismissed without conviction. Unless the thot plickens it would be difficult to learn of a different outcome. I hope the Swiss Embassy is prepared to advocate for him given the apparent circumstances

• Like 1