Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

48 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

All these posts making predictions & assumptions, pretty silly unless you know the facts isn't it???

I know... its ridiculous... y’know reading comments on a forum designed for, well... comments and discussion !!!....

I suspect you have found yourself using the incorrect URL and really wanted ‘The Nation’ or another news site. 

8 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If this Swiss man is charged with any offence at all, the Thais can kiss goodbye to attracting the high rolling Foreign people that they are so desperately seeking.

The potential 1 Million or so Digital Nomads Etc Etc Etc, will just say " <deleted> that, if I cannot defend myself , and what is mine, without prosecution."

Come on the tourist who come here rich or other wise do not have a clue what goes on on a daily bases in Thailand. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

The SAME guy who was hitting on his wife happens to be the SAME guy who held up the Swiss guy at his home

That's what's fishy to me.

You mean the same guy who figures he can get away with hitting on a foreigners wife also figured he can get away with burgling a foreigners house....  seems that the guy (deceased) was just a feckless idiot...

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

2) The intruder was tied up and he subsequently died (according to Swiss guy)

Something stinks...

Ok.  It was a BDSM threesome that went "South?"  Let the cops clean it up.
If it was a armed home invasion (which is my guess) then I hope this man is released ASAP.

• Like 1

He tied him up because he thought he might regain consciousness and attack him again. He threw the gun in the pond so it wasn’t available to the guy.

Remember around five years ago in Phuket where a sixty plus guy was taking some pictures of some guards outside a nightclub……one of the young guards attacked him, and the older guy pulled a knife and killed him. It was ruled self defense and he went free.

If the facts are as told, then this guy should go free, accidentally killing someone attempting to rob you at gunpoint is a no brainer. But this is Thailand. Maybe just end up paying the robbers family.

In the USA. A lawyer would try and twist it round to benefit the thief’s family.

A guy in Santa Monica was on the roof of a school looking to break in and steal whatever. He stepped on a skylight that had been painted black and fell through and was paralyzed. His lawyer got him over a million because the skylight was black…..go figure!

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That same law exists in or outside of the home. In the UK there is no law which states its ok to kill someone because they are in your home - you still have to show you used reasonable force in defending yourself. 

When someone is pointing a gun at you there are no limits.

It is of course a fine line.... whats the saying... better in a 6x6 than under 6ft... 

You may find that jury looks unfavourably at unloading 17 rounds into an intruder....  

8 hours ago, smedly said:

what ?

The Thai was armed with a firearm and made an unauthorised entry to the property to commit armed robbery and discharged the firearm when challenged, he was then disarmed during a violent struggle and incapacitated - the Swiss man should be getting a medal

pretty clear to me

Well, we have been told a firearm was found in the pond, and the Thai guy was found tied up and dead with cuts and bruises in the house. We only have the Swiss guy's and his wife's stories as to how that came about. You seem to believe their story. Do you have a reason for that?

It would be interesting in what the cause of death is. In the pictures that I have seen they look as if the Thai guy has his head very close to the concrete wall. Has he died from head injuries inflicted when he fell and hit his head either against that wall or on the concrete on the ground. If this is the case then there is a good chance of the Swiss guy being found innocent on the grounds of self defence. There are many cases in Australia where a 1 hit assault has become a murder conviction because it was a deliberate act but with this case I would think that the Swiss guy did not deliberately hit this guy so that his head would hit the concrete with enough force as to cause a head injury which would cause the Thai guys death

1 hour ago, matchar said:

If the Swiss guy's story is true then both men's prints should be on the gun and the dead man's prints should be on the rounds if he loaded the gun himself. Easy to prove either way.

Also the police should test for powder residue on the dead mans hand. A revolver leaves a lot. If no powder residue there, the swiss man just downed the thai man, fired a shot in the ceiling and threw the gun in the pond to disguise his prints. Washed his hands, while the wife made the calls.

Who presented the gun is still questionable, but perhaps some prints could still be found.

Was the dead man the wifes loanshark? 

Was the wife not sleeping, but present all the time?

Did he arrive together with the wife and demanded money for her gambling debts?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It often amazes me how the imagination works.... 

We have a simple story of a guy in a village who thought he could rob a house.

It happens that a foreigner lives in this house which is why it was probably targeted, the thief figured foreigners have more money.....

Now we have stories of affairs, the wife was complaining to the burglar that she was being mistreated which prompted him to kill the husband under the guise of robbery...  and we also have the swiss guy torturing the deceased.... 

Geezzzzz....  some of you guys are out there !!!! 

Geezzzz it's a theory...some of you guys out there just need to get a life!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohanB said:

geeeze  ......  well done  !      no one thought of that one yet. 

• Like 1

It seems like the articles that said Mr Rudolf was living with two wives all made the same misprint. The other woman in the house was actually his wife's mother, Mrs Urai, who said she heard the shot and the commotion from upstairs but was scared and decided not to investigate.  It is certainly odd that Mr Rudolf's wife, Mrs Lakh, was not woken up by the shot.  She had apparently returned home from a heavy boozing session, possibly with the deceased, Mr Sathien, and went straight to bed and passed out cold. Mr Rudolf had to rouse her from her drunken slumber to advise her of the unfortunate incident. Amarin News said that Mr Rudolf said he knew Mr Sathien as one of his wife's drinking buddies.  

The TV news clips I have listened suggest that police are investigating to see, if Mr Rudolf used excessive force and might have intentionally killed Mr Sathien.  No one has doubted yet that Mr Sathien attempted a home invasion or that the .38 was his own.  However, it looks as if there is some suspicion that Mr Rudolf might have continued to beat Mr Sathien after he was no longer a threat and even might have continued beating him after he had tied him up. Since Mr Sathien is no longer available to give testimony about the exact point he ceased to be a threat relative to the exact point Mr Rudolf finished beating him, it seems quite difficult to come to a conclusion.  However, I would say that any gratuity Mr Rudolf can spare for the police pathologists' benevolent fund would probably be money well spent to ensure there is no exaggeration to Mr Sathien's injuries that would make it look as if their more than what was necessary to subdue him.  It woud also be helpful, if they could find that Mr Sathien had actually died of alcoholic poisoning or COVID.

• Like 2

The Angle of the bullet should help and the fact only one shot fired. With  regards to him being tied up while unconscious, do you think it a good idea to wait for him to come round, so he can kick off again??? THINK NOT. Also when you disarm someone, you make sure if possible for the weapon yo be well out of reach. Had the police been sensible they should have said, that a  man was being interviewed in connection with a shooting  at his home etc. and that they were looking into the facts of the case, while he helped them with their enquiries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One caveat: we don’t know the facts, what we have read comes from the media, and sometimes the media gets the facts wrong. As time passes, hopefully we will see confirmed facts.

to the handwringers: even though this seems an obvious case of self-defense, the police have an obligation to investigate and rule out murder.

We don’t know the outcome of the investigation yet, so there is no need to disparage Thailand at this point.

Obviously, the police need to check the deceased’s cellphone records, as well as the gun, and check for gunpowder residue.

Let’s wait a few days, and then we can jump to conclusions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If this Swiss man is charged with any offence at all, the Thais can kiss goodbye to attracting the high rolling Foreign people that they are so desperately seeking.

The potential 1 Million or so Digital Nomads Etc Etc Etc, will just say " <deleted> that, if I cannot defend myself , and what is mine, without prosecution."

the Swiss guy was at home minding his own business, the Thai guy broke in armed 

with a gun. He got knocked out = GOOD!!!!!! Perfect case of self defense!

No if 's or buts, just because the criminal is a THAI, wake up Mr Policeman, the 

Swiss guy should get a medal. He did NOT over react. He used such force as was necessary to repel the attack. That is the legal definition of self defense!

And YES any other outcome WILL bode badly for incoming tourists & others. 

We are open again, vax's are happening, be happy!

• Sad 1

I'm not posting an opinion until I see the wife re-enacting her "conversations" with this dead friend of a friend. Too bad the deceased can't chime in. Seems a very odd thing to even volunteer unless something odd was going on to begin with. My missus either takes me along to girls drinks (I don't know most of what they're saying anyway) or she brings her mates over... if I ever don't go, its "up to me".

35 minutes ago, JohanB said:

Assuming the Swiss man did not keep piles of cash in the house, did the robber expect the Swiss man to go to an ATM to grab some baht?

Or was the robber tipped off that there was a pile of money in the house?

33 minutes ago, JohanB said:

Also the police should test for powder residue on the dead mans hand. A revolver leaves a lot. If no powder residue there, the swiss man just downed the thai man, fired a shot in the ceiling and threw the gun in the pond to disguise his prints. Washed his hands, while the wife made the calls.

Who presented the gun is still questionable, but perhaps some prints could still be found.

I suspect that, if Mr Rudolph was holding Mr Sathien's gun hand, trying to get it from him, when the gun went off, he would also have powder residue on his hand. If he needed to have Mr Sathien fire a shot into the wall postumously, he could have put the gun in Mr Sathien's hand and pulled the trigger with Mr Sathien's finger.  That way they would both have powder residue. I am also wondering if Mr Lakh was actually awake and witnessed the fight.  Her interview looks extremely shifty to me.

27 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I suspect that, if Mr Rudolph was holding Mr Sathien's gun hand, trying to get it from him, when the gun went off, he would also have powder residue on his hand. If he needed to have Mr Sathien fire a shot into the wall postumously, he could have put the gun in Mr Sathien's hand and pulled the trigger with Mr Sathien's finger.  That way they would both have powder residue. I am also wondering if Mr Lakh was actually awake and witnessed the fight.  Her interview looks extremely shifty to me.

Not everybody thinks of powder residue as evidence. 11 pages went on here without someone thinking of it.

If Mr Rudolph is not straight about what happend, I don't think he was that smart and cold at that moment to fire the gun in Mr Sathien's hand. Also the thai mans hands was probably tied up by then and the powder residue should have spilled on his clothes and other hand.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tonray said:

yeah...halfway thru the post it gets a little more interesting...

Yes, while we are speculating, let us consider that the "wife out drinking with friends"  was possibly only one "friend"

Secondly, he had to wake up his wife after a serious struggle was going on that involved a gunshot. His story has holes in it I suspect

• Like 1