Thailand targets $26 billion in local tourism revenue next year

snoop1130

Forget about the tourism industry. Haven't they learn the lesson relying on this? Time to attract foreign investment to build a strong workforce that doesn't get affected much by virus spreading around the world. What if after covid comes covif followed by covit? 

First step is to scrap the stupid labor compensation act. Working after 3 months get 1 month compensation and after a year get 2 months compensation for each working year. The workforce became ignorant with the longest serving worker has the attitude of fire me if you dare. 

I wonder how much of that 1.91 Trillion Baht made in 2019; and all the profits years before that, has actuqlly been used to improve Infrastructure or any General Improvements in the major Tourist Centers ?     From what i can see it will be back to the same old Thailand with unprotected Hanging Cables, missing Manhole Covers, Pavements in deplorable condition, Unusable 'Padestrian Crossings', no Rubbish Bins, and of course all the usual Scams !

I think the 'Amazing Thailand' tag has worn very thin; even for the Local Population who now only react to '50/50', 'Lets Travel Together' and other various 'Schemes' that can be fiddled or corrupted to suit Business Owners the best.

One day they will wake up but it will be too late.

• Like 2

Since when has it been possible to get blood from a stone?

Millions out of work over the past 18 months and this bunch of clowns expect to milk 820 billion Baht. It beggars belief.

Reasons to be cheerful part one!!!

• Like 2

What is this new revenue projection based upon?  Perhaps this is a good goal but it would be better if there was a real plan in place.  I also think many people are not yet vaccinated and do not want to travel.  And traveling to cities that are closed is really no fun.  But a great time to see the beautiful nature in Thailand.

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

I wonder, is this information of any use to anyone? Tourism figures from the past. Tourism figures for the future, the accuracy of which is more than uncertain against the background of the pandemic. Any use for hotel or restaurant operators? Or even for tourists? 

In summary: superfluous article without substantial concrete information content.

One must be seen to be doing their Job

Ready to do our part once the Thai wife and Stepdaughter are vaccinated (projected Pfizer/Moderna). Recommend the government reinstitute subsidizing hotel/resort/home stay costs from 25 - 50% (subsidy going directly to lodging business based on the documented booked stays. My income is limited, I am a retired resident but not one of the wealthy that some want to focus on attracting to come into the country. Still, my comfortable monthly budget of 65,000 baht does allow for occasional stays during school holidays or long weekends.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

About 60% of 2019 local tourism. Possible if we can travel more freely and not being locked down and limited by bureaucratism. Finally realizing that 3-4 million jobs in the travel industry have been wiped out causing many other issues as well. The big awakening is coming once travelling starts and cases rise. By end of next year we all get our 3rd jab and that Covid will get all of us one day or the other. Dont be afraid your chances are very very low.

I think a very important positive affect of the COVID lockdown has been the positive impact on the environment, specifically beaches, coral and aquatic life. Everyone agrees easing up on tourist traffic has been a huge plus, turtles returning to lay eggs, fish stocks increasing and less plastic <deleted>.  Unfortunately all will be for naught, continuing Thailand’s systematic destruction of one of the main reasons tourists want to visit in the first place. Bringing back the millions is all that matters. What a disgusting legacy.

• Like 1

They will need to officially ban dual pricing and start showing respect for foreigners. 

I don't see how this can happen under the current regime. 

For starters, if there is no respect, it's hard to show it, because they simply don't understand. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 2long said:

If it's 'local tourism' then it's hardly revenue, is it? The money's just moving around, without the international tourist dollar coming in!

30 million American domestic tourists visited Florida between April and June this year, bringing their 'local' and not 'international tourist' dollars.  It certainly was welcome 'revenue' for plenty of Florida's tourist businesses.  The key words in your statement are.'...money's just moving around...'.   That's exactly what you want.  Money circulating and not sitting around doing nothing, helping nobody.  

Instead of traveling internationally and spending their money abroad, suppose Bangkok families visit Pattaya instead and stay at hotels during their visits.  A hotel is able to reopen and hires a maid to clean the rooms.  She now has a job and some money and she can spend some of that money to get her hair cut.  The hair stylist has now earned some money and she can spend some of it to . . .   Money's 'moving around'.  That's good.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand aims to generate at least 882 billion baht ($26 billion) in domestic tourism revenue next year

If domestic tourists take up all the hotel rooms.....where will the  thousands of Indian billionaires stay?

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They keep plucking these revenue numbers from the sky???? Domestic tourism will be down because so many Thais have less money to spend because of closed businesses and being out of work! They should stick with the billionaire tourists who will be arriving in their private jets and buckets of money????

1 hour ago, Uroller said:

Domestic tourism will be down because so many Thais have less money to spend because of closed businesses and being out of work!

I'd think that too but I'm always amazed by the amount of new Benz's and Porsches in Bangkok and even Pattaya streets. Also I would bet dollars for donuts that this new iPhone 13 will be completely sold out despite costing up to almost 70k.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Last year, domestic tourism revenue dropped 55% to 482 billion baht, compared with an 83% plunge in foreign tourist receipts to 332 billion baht.

keep up these ""fantastic promotional"" ideas and the plunge will reach rock  bottom .....

4 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

If you think standing shoulder to shoulder is a great way for a holiday think again!

Tourists take pictures at Phu Thap Buek mountain in Phetchabun province which is beautiful when your spending it with a few people!

Dream on TAT no one is going to come to Quarantine, tests etc let alone your 500 baht fee

128F3517-D5A3-4D36-B742-CC4BFA4A8CF4.jpeg

And 2 obligatory insurance policies part of the COE...